Mae Sot

Chiang Saen

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ray23 wrote: Got hotel info on the following places but I can't find them on the map

Tak

Chaing Dao

Mae Sot

Chiang Saen
Ray
I think you'll find Chiang Saen & Chiang Dao on that GT map I sent you, although there is no Chiang Dao city map. Chiang Dao is only 68kms from Chiang Mai & because of it's close proximity to Cnx you probably would not stay there.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks David I will scrap that one it has been recommended to me to check out the Opium Musuem. sounds odd but what the heck Supposed to be Chaiang Saen

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ray23 wrote: Thanks David I will scrap that one it has been recommended to me to check out the Opium Musuem. sounds odd but what the heck Supposed to be Chaiang Saen
Ray
Sounds a bit like information overload with the grand master plan to conquer North Thai / the GT on the 1 trip.

Hope this is a help
421507147_iFHDL-S-0.jpg

it's part of the map I sent you.
The Opium Museum & Chiang Saen are on it.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thank David that made it easy, may no be able incorporate on the trip, We actually haev 11 day to get from Udon to the Bike Week. Actually the goal is to get pretty good overview.

Hopefully nest year I will get to ride more the Social Security kicks in at 62, I'll have bit more dish. So more play money :lol:

So I should have a good idea of what I want to check out agian and where thing are.

I have to tell you being a part of this group has so many benefits its hard to describe going to place I know nothing about. There is so much information here yuor right information overload is a possibilty. But between your map and the experienced guys advice I think we will ahev a great vacation. That wonlt cost us a arm adn a leg. So we can go back again.

So a big THANK YOU to you all.

Dec 1, 2006
Ray, I recommend you do the Hall of Opium. It's housed in an impressive building right along the roadside. We did it almost two years ago and found it a very rewarding experience. We went there on a weekday morning and were almost the only visitors.

Not only is it highly informative, but it's beautifully made, too. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Oh, are you aware that the Chiang Saen bike week will take place on 28/29NOV? We will be there, why don't you include this event in your planning? Perhaps we can abuse some innocent beers together :wink

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I'm always certain so I changed to go through there :lol:

We should be in Chaing Rai on the 28th, then we have rooms in Mai Sai, on the 29th.

Chaing Rai I think we are stuck, that's the day we are spending in the wifes Village so I will be late when we get to Chaing Rai.

No I wasn't aware of a Bike Week, we can change the 29th and be there.

You have any contact info on it?

I'm not familiar with the area at all so I assume there is lodging avaible?

Do yuo have info on that we are trying to stay soemwhere close to the 500 baht range.

Well will that work for you?

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well since I'm a roll here with stupid questions. I located the followng places on 107 between Mae Sai and 1095.

Are things really limited in ther. used the Gtriders map, map Magic and a internet search.
I would like to stay close to the 1095 and 107 junction.

Look like a long ride beween Mae Sai and Pai,

I'm assuming very curvy roads, plus we could ebe starting from the bike week not Mae Sai which would add another 50 Klms to it. That seems a bit much for that area. I think it would be pretty close to 300 Klms.

anyone got any ideas?

Saimoonburi Resort

52/1 T. Nongbua A. Chaiprakarn Chiangmai
Btwn Sop Khap & Kaeng Pa Tao

Ban Krating Resort

Thap Dua (Royal Ping Garden Resort)?

Dec 1, 2006
I'm trying to access the website where we found the info on the Chiang Saen bike week, but it seems it's temporarily down :x

Anyhow, it's http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... erms=DR650, then you go to the web board. There are discussion threads in Thai, I hope your wife can translate them for you.

The same web board contains accommodation tips. I'll keep looking and will shoot info over to you when I find some.

We, too, plan to ride up to Pai - MHS after the bike week and will probably end up spending a night in the Chiang Dao-Mae Malai area before heading up the curvy 1095. Let's not forget we may start the day hung over...

One popular place for bikers is Kurt and Mon's guesthouse: http://www.chiangdao.org. For details please email [email [email protected]][email protected][/email].

I'll let you have more info on Chiang Saen real soon, Ray.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Sounds like we ar all riding he same direction might join up with you guys. But I have to tell you we will be going slow. we are definletly going to be toursit adn stoping at lewast at the Place and whatevre else catches our eye :lol: I don't worry about hangovers seldom drink.

I saw the the place you were talking about in Chaing Dao thougth it was closed must just the resturant.

We are going back down 108 and over to Chaing Mai for the bike week,
Look like plenty of palces in Mae Hong Son and Pai. Not a lot on the 108 route that I coudl find we called everyone we found. That will be the Kings Birthday and they are all full.

So I'm get the 5th reserved in Chaing Mia and just leave the Mae Hong son area a day early. Now there may be plenty of them along tha route but not on the GTriders map, magic map or intrent.

I will PM Capt Slash he has been through there many time so he will have an idea. :wink:

Ala a bit of challenge doing something like this the first time, next time I will know. I know Issan but that is a new world to me :lol:

I will try the site as well, I understand there are a lo guest houses on the river so not to concerned about that. See you on the 29th in case you missed it my number is 086-229-8884

Dec 1, 2006
I have been able to access the accommodation info I promised you yesterday: http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... erms=DR650. Plenty to choose from here :D
As for Chiang Dao, we too haven't decided where we'll spend the night. We figure we'll be able to find something at short notice on a Sunday.

We will only be heading out of CNX mid-late morning that day, so we don't expect to reach Chiang Saen until late afternoon. I have saved your number and will call you when we hit the bike week, Ray. Here's mine: 089 801 6125.

Ride safely and have tons of fun!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ok we are set for the 29th and finally found a place for 12-5 in Khun Yuam.
So we are good to go look forward to meeting you

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Kurt And Mun are closed until 2009 and wiil open a new place sometime next year.

We reserved a place her 845 a night

Chiang Dao Nest consists of 16 lovely clean, comfortable bungalows*, and two small, cosy restaurants across two sites within 1km of each other.
*we'd prefer to call them chalets or cabins but it seems that most people understand them best as bungalows!
Chiang Dao Nest

The original Chiang Dao Nest (Nest 1) has some amazing mountain views and a big slice of sky! It is also home to Wicha's world-famous European Gourmet kitchen, which produces some of the finest Western / European and fusion cuisine in Northern Thailand.
Nest 1 is situated in a small valley with mountains / hills on three sides with the fourth being dominated by trees. It is locates is very close to the edge of the National Park.
The road we are on is a dead end road which terminates about 1km further at Wat Tham Paplong Temple.
It is very peaceful here!

Latest News: Chiang Dao Nest 1 now has have a small (10m x 4m), but beautifully located Swimming Pool. Swimming Pool open 7am - 7pm.
Please see below for links to more information ..

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
As I recall they have 14 places I booked two.

845 a night.

Supposed to be by some famous cave and Wat there

Hey can't be all bad has a pool and western food.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well one hour we are finally on the road. Off to see the Wizard. see yuo guys up there.