Trailer (to carry luggage not bike trailer) for scoot

Jan 30, 2006
I asked this question two years ago but no info was forthcoming so I wondered if anyone has any new info.

We're arriving GT area at the beginning of March on an open ended tour and are looking for a small two wheeled trailer to attach to the back of a Honda Wave or similar.

Anyone got any suggestions or links please

Nigel

Reactions: Lyndon

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Found a pic as my mate has one for his dog!

Thai-trailer.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Nov 2, 2008
18°47'49.98"N and 99° 0'7.45"E (me thinks) there is a selection of trailers on display here.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Do you know:

1. Cost?
Bugger All, around a 2000 Baht?

2. Legality?
Totally Illegal as are every other Side Car and Trailer for Bikes in Thailand!!! :shock:

They make another version with Smaller Wheels which looks a lot smarter than the Pictured Colossus!!! If you got one make up a Hitch onto the Grab Rail at the Back would make it much easier to use instead of Sitting on the Handle and I am sure it would be easier to Handle? Have you ever seen the little Tuk Tuk / Bike Taxi's they use in Siem Reap Cambodia? They have a Hitch where the Back seat would normally be on the bike! Quite neat.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Alas could not find a photo of the common backwards facing passenger holding a wheelbarrow. :p

This is what you need but not available here. Lots in Brazil. 8)

1BMW12LT.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
Thanks everyone for your replies, especially the BMW behmoth/outfit!!

Pikey, do you have any contacts for your mates trailer in the Chaing Mai area pls?

We're currently investigating making our own (testing it on our scoot here in the UK) and breaking it down into a suitcase for the flight to CMX. However we may be tempted to buy one in Chaing Mai (2000 Bhat is much cheaper than making one here in the UK!)

Any help appreciated

Nigel and Frances

Jan 30, 2006
Davidfl

Yeah, we thought about that, but with no language skills and only rudimentary drawing skills, I don't want to spend a week in CM trying to get it right.

We feel it's better to make one here, test it then pack-and-fly. We intend to use the trailer over the next few years in SE Asia - we've done the car/touring holidays to death and the scoot + trailer idea really does it for us, especially in SE Asia where the scoot rules.

However, if you have any more suggestions, I'd welcome then

Nigel

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Nigel,

The only consern is speed and distance. The pictures trailer from CMX is a push cart using bicycle grade components. Maybe it would stand up to motorbike touring but.......

Do you want single or double wheels?

Not necessarily the answer but Indespension make 125kg units which make be OK for a single wheeled unit, if you can buy a m/bike single hitch where you are.

I think you may need two trips. First one to either bring parts and get one made and second one to actually use it.

PS if you carry a golf bag you are ussually allowed 10kgs extra free. Nobody checks that it actually contains golf clubs!

Jan 30, 2006
Mike

Thanks for the ideas.

First off, we will be travelling light, not back-packer light, but with about 20kgs of clothing, and stuff - has always fitted nicely in a standard airline compatible travel case - you know what I mean.

The trailer has to weigh (unladen) no more than 15kgs, this way we can collapse it into another travel suitcase, then check it with two bags as normal.

When we arrive, we unpack the trailer unit, build it (30 minute operation) and put the two cases (one now empty) into the trailer and hitch it to a scoot.

When we move on to Laos, VN or Cam, we can either repack and fly, or return the rented scoot and river the trailer (still constructed) down the MK.

The important thing is lightness. The trailer has to carry 40kgs max (two cases - one empty and it's own weight)

I'm looking at bicycle trailers, they are ideal but are not collapsable into a suitcase - hence the 'build my own' route

Cheers for the input

Nigel

Nov 2, 2008
Are there any issues, beside the weight, with pulling a properly designed trailer with a small motorcycle?

As such an infrequent bike tourer, would be nifty to have extra gear without adding a full on pannier system for a week long getaway. Was thinking a light, steel framed and aluminum boxed, single wheeled light trailer. See pictured borrowed from ADV. We spent many years pulling kids and/or gear in bicycle trailers, which we preferred to full bicycle pannier systems which we also toured with for many years. I do understand the speed reduction required. Would think the pivoting mounting attachment, required for a single wheel, would be the hardest part to obtain.

751971428_nSvD6-L-2.jpg

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Small and even "ice cream" size motorbike trailers are very popular with small businesses in Brazil. They use a std. car 2"? ball hitch with the ball mounted in the centre line of the rear wheel. Usually on the left side. They all look pretty standard.

27E13D_1.jpg

20i.jpg

61130274_2.jpg

20f.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
Hi everyone, it's been a year now...

In the end I made my own collapsible trailer out of 25mm square tube and bicycle wheels.

I lashed the trailer to the rear hand grip of the scooter and off my wife and I went in Thailand.

When we were done in Thailand, I dismantled it (it was put together with bolts), put in a suitcase along with the wheels and took it on a plane to Vietnam where we used it.

I left it in a place called Phan Thiet when we came back to the UK as I decided that version two needed to be made out of 3" bamboo and not steel

How do you upload pictures to this site?
Nigel

Nov 2, 2008
Thialand%20001.jpg

Very creative, looks like your were able to take it all with you on your tour. Nigel, how did the Dream drive riding two up pulling the trailer?

Never have seen larger units like the last two in your pictures, carry your gear and a spare Honda Dream.

Jan 30, 2006
It worked really really well. We were in Chiang Rai 3 yrs ago and just toured around from a fixed base on a Dream. It worked really well providing you keep the speed down to about 60kph which is fine for us because we like watching the country side go by.

I hired this Dream from Mr Mechanic on Moon M. Road. The first one had knackered suspension so I changed it for a newer one - worked a treat. Because the load is in the trailer it tends to pitch the scoot over a bit on the tight hairpins into Pai, but other than that, worked a dream (pun)

Next version will be made out of Bamboo. You can see bits of bamboo under the cases in the photo you kindly uploaded. If you make one out of Bamboo you only need to make the brackets, which is easier to carry in your 'plane luggage.

Thinking of coming back this November (2010) as the visibility in March is bad.

Thanks for the picture upload

Nigel

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
enveetee wrote: It worked really really well. We were in Chiang Rai 3 yrs ago and just toured around from a fixed base on a Dream. It worked really well providing you keep the speed down to about 60kph which is fine for us because we like watching the country side go by.

I hired this Dream from Mr Mechanic on Moon M. Road. The first one had knackered suspension so I changed it for a newer one - worked a treat. Because the load is in the trailer it tends to pitch the scoot over a bit on the tight hairpins into Pai, but other than that, worked a dream (pun)

Next version will be made out of Bamboo. You can see bits of bamboo under the cases in the photo you kindly uploaded. If you make one out of Bamboo you only need to make the brackets, which is easier to carry in your 'plane luggage.

Thinking of coming back this November (2010) as the visibility in March is bad.

Thanks for the picture upload

Nigel

Glad you had a successful trip & that you found the GT Rider forum helpful with tips.
But how was your trip - any chance of some photos & a report too please.
:) :)

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
FE, got any further links to this on ADV. Had a look and couldn't find it. I like that trailer alot.....

Fishenough wrote: Are there any issues, beside the weight, with pulling a properly designed trailer with a small motorcycle?

As such an infrequent bike tourer, would be nifty to have extra gear without adding a full on pannier system for a week long getaway. Was thinking a light, steel framed and aluminum boxed, single wheeled light trailer. See pictured borrowed from ADV. We spent many years pulling kids and/or gear in bicycle trailers, which we preferred to full bicycle pannier systems which we also toured with for many years. I do understand the speed reduction required. Would think the pivoting mounting attachment, required for a single wheel, would be the hardest part to obtain.

751971428_nSvD6-L-2.jpg