travel insurance from uk for thailand when riding a motorbike.scooter

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by sydneycraig, Dec 9, 2013.

  1. hey ll

    im having great difficulty finding an insurance policy for my trip to Thailand where I will be rising a 125cc scooter.

    I have had people suggest but they have said that is I am touring or the scooter is my main mode of transport then I am NOT covered. (by buying a scooter then it is my main mode of transport)

    so who do you people use??

    im ideally after just medical insurance and a long term policy (1 year + ideally_)

  2. I thought you live in Thailand? If so, why wouldn't you buy proper medical insurance with an accident rider from one of the many private companies selling insurance here? Maybe you don't live here full time? Where do you actually live?
  3. I have been if Thailand on and off for the past year but have been in the uk for the past 5 months, so was looking to get insurance from here....but open to suggestions for insurance I can get within Thailand on my return

  4. I'm a seppo and know nothing about insurance options in the UK ;)

    What kind of insurance did you have for your previous tours of Thailand and Malaysia?

    There are TONS of private insurance options here in Thailand, including a GT-Rider policy. Just Google Thailand Insurance and start shopping.

  5. I had insurance from Australia as I was coming from in the uk tho so prefer to get from here
  6. That is quote common actually.. If you are not up front and they find out.. They wont cover you.
    Did you check with the GTR insurance guy listed on the forum?

  7. yeah I had a look, was 15k-30k p/a, so seems more than others, but so far others in uk cant cover
    either because of the motorbike
    or because you have to be in the uk for 6 of the past 12 months to be considered a resident
    or they wont be able to extend beyond 365 days from outside the uk...
  8. Home is Australia.. You need Aussie insurance that will get you repatriated to Australia including air ambulance etc.
    Not to dwell on the negatives.. but important to remember.

    Worse case.. you don't want to be repatriated to the UK and you don't want to be stuck in Thailand until the policy runs out.

    Suggest you contact a broker back home and get them to find what you need.

  9. Most travel insurance policies from Australia, require you to be in Australia when you purchase it (so that you can't buy it when you are already in the sh!t)...

    I (from Australia) have used SureSave‎ they are cheap, and I don't know what they are like if you need to make a claim.

    I would email them, and ask them if they will allow you to purchase a policy when you are not in Australia.

    Also QBE‎ more expensive, but you might be able to find a discount code by doing an Internet search. The first bullet point of their eligibility is that it isn't available to travelers outside Australia.
  10. Most travel policies in UK exempt motorcycle cover unless u pay a huge fee,

    better to get local medical insurance .
  11. The Thai policies I've looked at (BUPA, AIA and AXA, Cigna and Allianz) all have fine print that says coverage is reduced by 50% for claims due to motorcycle accidents... So, to make up for a potential shortfall I bought an additional accident insurance policy from SCB which is quite cheap.
  12. home is uk, so would want to be repatriated to there...

    looked at local medical cover, but will also be wanting to spend several months in surrounding countries, so would be no good as they would only for Thailand?

    have found a few from the uk that cover motorbike accidents....all 365 or less, so looks like im going back to the uk next xmas too!
  13. if the bike is <150cc (my scooter) then most places cover as standard...
  14. I just bought a Bupa policy. The 50% reduction only applies to the life insurance payout IIRC.
  15. double post deleted
  16. Hi,
    I have holiday insurance included with my Lloyds bank account. This covers me to ride a motorcycle whilst on my holidays providing i have the necessary uk licence to ride that particular capacity bike. Also it does not provide cover for events/racing but does cover you if are using the motorcycle as a form of transport to get from point to point - ie touring.
    I actually phoned them to confirm i would have full cover as in April I will be touring Laos for 10 days (on an enduro).
  17. I am from the uk ,and a lot of the insurance will cover you for any size bikes if you hold a licence for that cc and wear a helmet, if you get stuck any of the adventure/traveller policy's should cover you.
    Safe riding

Share This Page