Trip to Laos May or June 2010 (Anyone interested?)

Mar 30, 2010
Hi All,

Is anyone interested in teaming up and going to Laos for a week to 9 days?

I have 5 days holiday owing to me plus the weekends either side, max 9 days. (I am based in Bangkok)

For the more experienced people here a:-

* Trust taking my Ninja 650 R should be OK?
* I was reading the rainy season starts in May June, expect for dirt roads I guess the main drag should be OK ?

Still a newbie with the big bike so would be good to have some company of this trip.

Thanks for you input,

Brian

Mar 30, 2010
2wheels wrote: Wrong time of the year Brian; too smokey and hot.
At its best November/December.
:happy2:

November is a long way a way and I have my new bike :)

The Bolaven Plateau should be better.. Hot but lots of waterfalls to cool off at.
Hopefully a little cooler being 1000 metres above sea level..

That is what a Dutch guy that lives in Paksong told me (he lives there with his Lao wife and sells coffee to people outside Laos).
I will double check with him again.

Thanks
Brian

Mar 30, 2010
Just in case any one is interested in visiting the Bolevan plateau..

Here are a couple of links.

My friend living in Paksong said the weather is high 20''s close to 30.. night time low 20's.
Rain in the morning for 30 mins and mostly fine

Information and things to see and do.
http://www.paksong.info/climate_at_the_ ... lateau.php

Weather forecast.
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48956.html

There is another public holiday around the end of this month.. I have not set any dates.. But looking to go end of the month of early June.
either with some company or alone.

Depending on the roads.. may leave the Ninja at one or two locations and get a dirt bike for off the beaten track.

Cheers
Brian

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
May and June are not smokey months in Laos and actually quite good to ride in. There is some smoke but it was not that bad this year or last.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Was there in my truck last Friday. Had a few times some heavy rain but otherwise glorious weather. Some pics of a new road south of Attapeu where Hoang Anh Gia Lai is starting a large rubber plantation.

On the way to the plantation with heavy rain coming.
SouthofAttapeu.jpg

After an hour or so nice weather again and the workers were busy building staff housing.
LittleVietnam.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Hey Brian,

I'm also based in BKK, also ride a Ninja 650 and am quite interested in a trip to Laos.

Will have to be in the second half of June for me as I've already committed to riding to the Ko Samui Bike Week June 11-12.

Wish I still had my ER6n with enduro tires-
092609Er6n1Sm.jpg

I think a bike with dual sport tires would be much better suited to riding Laos in the rainy season... :wink:
092709ChaiyaphumFloodSm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Feb 8, 2009
Last january we had 3 days rain in Laos. We drive on a wet road from Phou Khoun to Loung Pra Bang. It was so dangerous because extremly slippery. 250 Baja Honda change gear from 2 to 3 the tire without grip. Every curve a adventure. My friends with me on tour are all very good riders. But everyone happy when we arrived in LPB. I think with a big bike more problems.

No fun - stress pur

dsc0314.jpg