Triumph & KTM coming to Thailand

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Welcome H2oDunc to the GT-Rider and the Thairumph fold!

Though this thread has been surperceded by Silverhawk's more recent Triumph update, where TropicalJohno has already told us of your purchase and stealing your thunder.

I believe a number of us were initially shocked, as on cursory reading it seemed that TJ himself, was shelling out his shilling on a Rocket, when he was actually quoting from your email!

Yut is one of the very few good guys in the Thai Bike retail industry - and well may the Directors of Britbikes take heed looking after him. Still waters running a little troubled there at present. I made my order 5 months ago purely on the strength of his involvement.

Customer service is ALL and Yut is one of its few champions; understanding what we expect by wanting to deliver. He resigned from BMW for similar reasons.

Notwithstanding what will hopefully be a short brain fart by the Directors of BB, congratulations for being the first to buy a Rocket III.

It is an interesting choice For Thai roads - low road clearance etc. I gather that the sissy bar is almost mandatory if you don't want to leave your TG on the floor at the lights. A wonderful beast. UK BIKE Mag has a short review on it in the Feb 07 issue.

PM me if you want to have a chat as I have, for the moment, a Scrambler on order.

Just in case anybody else reads thru these posts on this thread and to tidy-up loose-ends: the KTM deal the Britbikes had hoped for is not happening. They had better first prove themselves with the Triumph mark first.
Incidentally RobertH found a KTM dealer recently in Malaysia.
The BMW F800GS has been further delayed, but motocross/motard variants of the F650 should be in country this month.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Capt Slash
It was very good meeting you at the racetrack the other day.
From what I am hearing the earliest that a 800GS will possibly be seen, is '08.
I am told by a dealer that BMW are already riding a "GS varient" in tests - which would make sense in the development cycle.
See my earlier post in this thread, quoting Dr Herbert Diess, the Director of BMW Motorrad, from MCN March '06, where he is confidently announcing that there would be a F800 GS.
However, later in 06, in an interview with the website, Raptors & Rockets, he appears to be less positive about the F800 having a GS designation.
As apparently there is now some debate whether its off-road capabalities and/or ability to withstand off-road conditions, are enough to warrant a GS suffix.
This in itself should reignite the debate of the true off-road capabilities of the 1200GS!
I trust you are still enjoying your 650!

bung

Feb 6, 2006
Anyone have information on a KTM dealer in BKK? Or somewhere I can get parts at least?

This may be old news, but it seems KTM are indeed now in Thailand and have dealers in Bangkok, Chon Buri,Chang Mai, Phuket, and Sumui. They are also looking for new dealers. Any takers?

http://www.ktm.co.th/SALES.htm

ktm.jpg

530exc-r.jpg

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Just had a look at their website in Austria, no mention of any Thai subsidiary, not even Malaysia or Singapore......I think this is again someone trying to live on a name that's not his, could be a dealer but I doubt if this is even known to KTM's HQ......, careful,until more is known. Just logically, Thailand is not their big market, there are bigger ones still unattended by them with no dealers in place yet, another thought pops up, it is well known to them that there's a hell of taxes to pay upon importing these bikes.........

Jun 10, 2006
As a KTM rider, I was very excited to read Robin's post with the link to the web site of the newly established KTM importer in Thailand, and even more so to learn that KTM Thailand has already 5 approved dealers, with one in Chiang Mai. Great news, I thought.

So I keep clicking through their website pages to find the name and address of the CNX dealer... but WTF... there's no address list of those five approved dealers!

Kind of strange, I thought, announcing on your web site that there are already five approved KTM dealers across Thailand, but failing to list their names and addresses. How can they have overlooked this?

OK, no fuzz, let's call KTM Thailand to find out... click to the 'About us' and 'Contact' pages, but...WTF again! No physical or mailing address of the company, no names, no phone number, no email address!

Flabbergasted! That's what I am...

Can someone explain how a company that "after many months of careful planning" puts up a web site (presenting itself as the official KTM importers in Thailand) not containing a single verifiable reference or point of contact, e.g. director's or manager's names, showroom/workshop/parts distribution/company HQ's location(s), physical and (e-)mailing addresses, phone nrs or even an email address. Just an anonymous box to email them...

After all these years, Thailand doesn't cease to be a place of continuous amazement for me...

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Guys today I'm gonna check with KTM Mattighofen, their HQ, as mentioned before, their official informations give no indication of a Thai subsidiary. In Malaysia and Singapore they have appointed agents but not yet in Thailand. Maybe again another "jack or farang" scam, maybe it isn't like this, then we all would be happy........but as mentioned, while clicking trough their website, no address, names, someone has something to hide I'm sure.......

Jun 10, 2006
Guess what?

I just tried to contact KTM Thailand through their 'Contact Us' page on their website.

After filling out the required boxes I clicked 'submit' and surprise, surprise!... I got the following message:

"The form could not be handled. The following error occurred:
You must finish subscription !"

But there is nothing to subscribe to!

Not very convincing IMO. This web site is more and more beginning to look like a farce. If their web site is any indication of their professionalism, I guess I won't bother with KTM Thailand for service/parts and continue to source my parts/bikes from abroad.

Jun 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Franz - Eastern Seaboard

Guys today I'm gonna check with KTM Mattighofen, their HQ........but as mentioned, while clicking trough their website, no address, names, someone has something to hide I'm sure.......

Very good idea, Franz, and thanks in advance for taking this initiative and going through the trouble of trying to find out if KTM Thailand is indeed an official importer or another scam set up by some dubious farang.

When I attended the Malaysia MotoGP in Sepang a few weeks ago, I had a long conversation with the Malaysian KTM distributor, and he had just come back from the annual KTM dealers' meeting in Austria. He showed me the official group photo which indeed showed that he had attended this event. I had told him that during the launch of Triumph in CNX I had a conversation with Dom, the owner of BritBike, who had tried to get the import of KTM's in Thailand, but to no avail. The Malaysian importer said he was willing to offer any help and use his contacts in Austria and was even interested in any form of collaboration with anyone setting up the import of KTM in Thailand.

Now can someone tell me how it is possible that the Malaysian KTM distributor has just come back from the annual dealers' meeting in Austria and is completely unaware that a few weeks later KTM Thailand is about to be launched?

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Email's on its way, hope to give you an official answer within this week. The more I check the more I think that again some dubious chinese or farang is trying to part us from our hard-earned cash......

Oct 17, 2006
There is no official KTM importer in Thailand although the major THAI grey market importers bring in many KTM models.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by Franz - Eastern Seaboard

Email's on its way, hope to give you an official answer within this week. The more I check the more I think that again some dubious chinese or farang is trying to part us from our hard-earned cash......

Their legal department will give me an answer later today. One thing is already for sure, once a legal department gets involved, then there's something not right about this website & business.......I'll keep you informed. Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
It's Friday 18:12, I'm still at the office but not yet received a final reply from KTM-Legal, we'll have to wait until Monday. Somethings very fishy here........