Triumph & KTM coming to Thailand

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
I can confirm that a new Triumph dealer will be opening up here in Bangkok before Chistmas, some where near the RCA Centre between Rama 9 & Petchaburi.

Bikes should realistically be arriving sometime in January.

Prices have yet to be determined!

Though I am told that with Triumph building ther "classic" range outside Pattaya, their agreement with the Thai Govt did not include the ability to sell within Thailand.
Therefore they have to -for tax purposes- be "exported" and importation tax/duty paid accordingly.
I am told that we won't have to pay for the "phantom" shipping charges! TIT.

Also, I am realiably informed that a KTM dealership will be opening here sometime in the middle of next year.

I will post more details when I get them.

Rhodie

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Rhodie,
By coincidence I bumped into the boss of the Triumph plant in Pattaya, he is in charge of the CNC cutting casting etc.
He reckons all fittings made in Thailand will be shipped back to England for assembly. They reckon if they assemble in Thailand it will devalue the bikes.
Anyway I should be living in Thailand in about 18 months, great to hear Triumph will have a dealer there. Have you seen the new Tiger 1050?
Bloody yummy.

Link removed

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Rhodie,

Thanks for the info and it's potentially great news if the prices aren't too sky-high! I did a check with BMW and a 1200GS in the UK is priced just under £9K and here it's 920,000THB. So, if Triumph follow the same pricing "rules" as BMW then a new T100 Bonnie that retails for a shade under £6K in the UK should be priced around 600,000THB. Hmmm, must start saving my satangs!

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

vtrman

Sep 29, 2004
Hello Tom!

I sat on the new Tiger 1050 at the Bike Show at the NEC (Birmingham) yesterday. It's a nice bike - I'd have one. They've now dropped the trail styling. It never really was a trail bike anyway, so why pretend? It was too much like a 2-wheeled version of a Chelsea Tractor before. Tnhe new version is much nicer IMO. Now it seems like a great "all rounder", not dissimilar to my Fazer 1000 (FZ-1). I should imagine it has more low-down grunt that the Yamaha, which is a little weak below 4000 revs, even though it goes totally mental higher up the rev range.

I'd certainly consider getting one when I need to change my main road bike. Now then, must arrange a test ride.......

Bill

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
We went to the NEC on sunday for the Bike Show Bill (note pic of grinning idiot in compulsory dayglo awaiting play time on Buell Lightning..). This is the 'Low' version which is the only proper motorcycle known to man which makes me look normal height - fantastic!!

Fell in love with the new black Speed Triple on the Trumpet stand however..mmmm!

DSC01549.jpg

Friend took out the FZ1 which he was pretty impressed with (but feared for his license long term I believe...).

Oct 17, 2006
They are alreadt buliding all the Bonneville and twin models in new chonburi factory, the second production line is for the new 1500cc twin cruiser for 2007.
all other models continue to be built in Hinckley.

jerry

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Monsterman's post concur's with the information the Brit MD told me in the summer.
THeir 2nd factory opened this year was built to produce their "classic" range - this includes the Bonnie, Scrambler etc. See their website.
He also told me thatthey were having conversations with potential dealers - but they were concerned with dealer service.
I fear Pikey will be correct with his stab at "pricing".
If anyone is interested in speaking to them PM me & I'll pass on the mobile number of their point man - respected ex-BMW fellow.
ATB
Rhodie

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I would be interested in Buying a New Triumph Tiger1050 if they open a Dealer in Thailand, Or else looking at a BMW, Please keep me posted on any Information anyone has. I am off to NZ end of the month and back end of December so any time early next Year will suit me.
Cheers Ian.

IFR

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Tropicaljohno,
Long Story Samui!!! I set up the Tower for Catapult in Lamai originally, I still own it but with the Corruption there they shifted it to Chaweng with my Ex Staff and changed it to a Jump, i was out, the Tower was not designed for that. It was in the News lately when they arrested the present owners (Scammers) for Extortion and Land Grabbing etc along with the Banditos bike Gang. Always Action in Samui!!! Glad to be in Chiang Mai now. Still have the Bungy in Phuket & Pattaya as well as here. Check www.chiangmai-xcentre.com .Who are you?
Cheers Ian.

IFR

Jun 21, 2006
Ian

I met you on Samui, in Lamai when you were trying to erect the bungy, behind the square bars, i am English/OZ and was with you when you were blowing a fuse, when they were attempting to lift the structure up.

I used to visit you a few times when I came to Phuket and you were working on Jungle Bungy then. And was still around Lamai when Sam and Derek took over, (less said about them the better).

Am up in Chaing Mai next month for flower show, so will drop in if you abr back from (shagging sheep land)

cheers

Johno

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
TRIUMPH AND BMW ARE COMING TO THAILAND?
THAT'S GREAT, THEN I CAN l o o k AT SOME NICE BIKES!

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Nice website, I like the 800cc twins, but the styling - even though much improved in the last ten years - is still not what I expect from a bike which such a pricetag... looks like the part from center to front had a different designer than the part from center to rear...
But you're right, it's Triumph and KTM coming to TH, the bavarians have been here for a long time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't roam like an eagle if you're working with turkeys!

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Tho BMW TH are being reticent about the new "F" range developments
- the F800GS looks very interesting and is getting quite a lot of attention on US websites.
I only hope that the guys who set up Triumph & later on next year
KTM learn that service is everything. BMW Th can then [hopefully]
pull their socks-up.
Rhodie

Jun 21, 2006
I had a good look over athe new 800 here in Phuket.

One thing I dont like is the position of the starter motor, it is mounted transverse at the front of engine, low down, below line of front mudguard, in a spot usually reserved for oil coolers. The main electric cable faces forward, it has a rubber boot covering it, but how long would it be before water gets into it.

I think the first mod would be to get the front mudguard extended, (did the extension on my F650 many years ago, a few aftermarket places sells extensions specifically for each bike).

Yeaterday. rceived invitation, saying BMW had open day at all Motorad dealers in Thailand, but unfortunately this didnt include Phuket.

Oh well, thems the breaks

John

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
I agree, the F800 still needs to be proven.
Saw the ST version in gunmetal grey which looked choice;
but I would wait until they have ironed out any probs before
seriously considering it.
Do look up the F800 GS on US sites,
but again I would wait for its second year before leaping.
I missed the F launch - am in Hanoi, where there are positive notes
about allowing big bikes in mid-next year.[:D]
ATB
Rhodie

pee

Mar 10, 2006
For those interested in KTM, "Moto Zone" on RCA (Bangkok) can sell and order some models.They said.
I have asked the price for a 640 "Adventurer".
They told me around 640 000 Bahts.
I post this message to help guys interested by KTM. Not at all to display some free advertising for the shop... As I was not completely satisfied with their service on my Yamaha.
If anyone knows about another place that can already order KTM, please let us know.

eric

Oct 17, 2006
Remember the BMW F800 motor is built by rotax for BMW so it should be bulletpoof.Same engine will also be supplied to Apprilia .
But the bike is ****ing ugly like all the modern BMs

jerry

Feb 23, 2003
Thank god, more KTM riders will appear if there is a dealer to sell them bikes. Some times I feel so lonely......

Jun 21, 2006
I have a colour pamphlet of a yellow F800S if you want me to scan it and send it thru.

reading the press release I got from BMW they only do an F800S and
an F800ST, no mention of GS as yet

cheers

John
Phuket

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
F800 News, speculation images & links

The following excerpts & associated links show that the F800GS is more than a possibility.
However, some of the earlier reports this year suggesting that it would be in the BMW 2007
line-up appear to be a little optimistic. Probably this time next year with announcements in the spring.

From Motorcycle News [MCN]
A brief interview with Herbert Diess of BMW where he says:
“Currently we have the F800S and ST, but we will also be building an enduro version, like the GS, and a naked bike.”
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page= ... _NEW-BIKES

From Raptors & Rockets
BMW has big plans for its new 800cc F-series in 2006 and 2007.
F800S and ST has just been launched in South Africa, but not enough with only a S and ST version.
Next year we will see yet another two models with the 800cc parallel twin engine in a naked R and offroad GS version.
We are 90% certain about the F800R both when concerning model name
and concept.
Whether the 800cc offroader will actually be called F800GS is still up for speculation.
Expect more than 90bhp in the F800R and a detuned F800GS.
Whilst at it rumours about yet another Aprilia co-operation has also emerged.
What about a RXV 450 engine in a BMW HP chassis?
Our designers impressions illustrate how cool a F800R could be. Pic: Hugo van Waaijen
http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hichpage=2

Forum discussion threads
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/mvnforum/ ... thread=132

F800 Riders Forum
Notice they have a tab for the F800GS
http://www.f800riders.org/f800gs.asp

ADVrider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125466

French Site [with pix]
En Francais, some artist’s impressions of the putative F800GS.
Also scroll down to the delicieux supermotard Ducati 1000cc. My French is so rusty, so I am not sure whether this is actually going into production. Yes it is – available in the spring.
BMW ARE bringing out a supermotard version of the HP2. Though it is highly unlikely it will make it out here.
http://www.moto-station.com/article1930 ... 2007-.html

Motards Site
http://www.motards-online.com/motorcycl ... 00---.html

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Final Bit of news thru BMW South Africa as quoted in a post on UKGS'er.com.

Latest News
The F 800 GS - BMW SA speaks out
'In the automotive industry (like the notorious entertainment industry), the presence of rumours is an ever-present factor which involves manufacturers, press and the general public.

It often seems like a bit of a game as journalists seem to uncover the latest product testing or spy shots, whilst the manufacturer either confirms or denies these. And as with the entertainment industry, it can go either way, with journalists sometimes uncovering a scoop or else being horribly off the mark.

So the same is true with the latest models being purportedly developed by BMW. After a popular motoring website ran an article last week 'confirming' that BMW is developing the F 800 GS and also working on a smaller F 450 GS, BMW Motorrad SA was inundated with queries regarding the 'new' bikes.

In order to clarify the matter, BMW Motorrad SA's general manager, Lachlan Harris, confirmed that BMW is working on a GS version of the F800, but that designs are still in their early stages and that the South African public would definitely not see the bike before 2008.

BMW Motorrad's special projects manager, Deon Meyer also confimed that any current 'images' of the upcoming bike are purely speculative and should not be treated as 'the real thing'.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Just to keep you updated on the forthcoming Triumph BKK dealership.
Their opening has been delayed until the new year.

I hope to be getting a bike from them sometime in Feb/March.

Their Thai investors are all bikers.
And, allegedly, not just fairweather bikers at that.
Their manager is well regarded in the BKK biking world
having been one of few fellows with a service & customer ethic at BMW
Thailand.
Their mechanic will also be qualified to work on new Ducati bikes.
PM me if you want to be put in touch with them.

Following Pee's post earlier I can confirm they have nothing to do with Motor Zone.

ATB
Rhodie

Mar 12, 2007
Hi all at GT Riders. Just to confirm Triumph are open in BKK at RCA. I have a Rocket 3 on order from there due to be delivered in May. Evidently the first.The Thai guy dealing with me Yut has been very helpful keeping up to speed with the progress of my order via email as I live in Chumphon.I also got a good discount on the bike and extras, Although I did pass on the saddle bags at a cool 60,000 baht. I will post a road test of the bike when i take delivery and some Photos as well. Safe riding to you all[8D]