Under-Rated Lombok

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
As the sun sets over Kuta in Bali, we battled a scorpion that wandered into our hotel room, and wondered what the coming days would hold in unexplored and rustic Lombok.

With a brand new Honda Tiger that had 6000km on its meter we started out for Padangbai - our appointment with the ferry was pending. A few kilometres outside Padangbai the Honda Tiger had a slight disagreement with a local passenger van and came out worse. Entirely my fault, I was looking at road signs instead of paying attention to the road. I managed to decrease my speed considerably and was trying to steer around the van when I clipped his right taillights, the handlebars swung around and deposited me unceremoniously on the ground. With abrasions on our elbows and knees, but nary a scratch on the Tiger, we decided the best option was onwards.

We made the ferry and made it to Senggigi in Lombok by darkness.

The next 2 days we did day trips to the Gili islands.

lombok01.jpg

lombok02.jpg

lombok03.jpg

lombok04.jpg

lombok05.jpg

lombok06.jpg

lombok07.jpg

lombok08.jpg

lombok09.jpg

lombok10.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
After our island jaunt we set off for Gunung Rinjani - following the coastal road north before plunging into the highlands. The coastal road, expecially around Senggigi is gorgeous, amazing beaches on one side and mountains on the other. As we move inland, Rinjani loomed big before us. We ended up in Sapit, and spend an afternoon walking around the tobacco fields around Sapit.

lombok21.jpg

lombok22.jpg

lombok23.jpg

lombok24.jpg

lombok25.jpg

lombok26.jpg

lombok27.jpg

lombok28.jpg

lombok29.jpg

lombok30.jpg

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
FB66Y

Nice man,, i really liked those colorfull fish pictures, looks like you have nice trip, looking for your next Adventure

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The next day we made our way south to Kuta - mostly highway riding with plenty of traffic.
The scenery improved the closer we got to Kuta.

lombok41.jpg

lombok42.jpg

lombok43.jpg

lombok44.jpg

lombok45.jpg

lombok46.jpg

lombok47.jpg

lombok48.jpg

lombok49.jpg

lombok50.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
Was on Bali until last week, was hoping to find an alternative to the rainy season in Thailand. Weather perfect, at least in Ubud. Dry, cool nights, dream people, they live their culture to the fullest. The volcanos , the mountains, gorgeous.
You pics of Lombok show a different side of these islands.
my regret was= no motorbike for me.
Must go back and try harder.
Pico

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
For our final destination in Lombok we made our way west from Kuta, heading towards Southwest Lombok. We could have had a smoother ride by staying on the highway, but we decided for the scenic route. Also known as the bumpy route. The roads west were broken, potholed and some sections had large slabs missing. The roads were so bad we didnt see any four wheelers.

The road follows the coast closely, and every now and then you burst onto some bite-shaped bay, complete with swaying trees and a sleepy village. By the time we made it to Sekotong the road improved and it was smooth tarmac.

lombok61.jpg

lombok62.jpg

lombok63.jpg

lombok64.jpg

lombok65.jpg

lombok66.jpg

lombok67.jpg

lombok68.jpg

lombok69.jpg

lombok70.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
We stayed in Pengantap, and managed a trip to Gili Ringgit.

lombok71.jpg

lombok72.jpg

lombok73.jpg

lombok74.jpg

lombok75.jpg

lombok76.jpg

lombok77.jpg

lombok78.jpg

lombok79.jpg

That should pretty much cover the trip.
I will trawl through the deluge of pictures and see if there are any others that might pass muster.

Mar 21, 2007
Sweet....great photos.....looks like a very cool trip...just made contact with an old mate who'se been living there for 14 years...good excuse for the trip down now...
Cheers

Sep 4, 2007
Those are really great pics, I know thats probably more the photographer than the equipment, but would you like to share what camera system you are using, because I do not think its just a compact. Thanks in anticipation.

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Well, I have been using the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 for the longest time, and its takes brilliant pictures. Its by no means a DLSR, but it works very well, and most importantly the functions are very user friendly.

For this trip, considering I will be snorkelling, I decided to bring along the Canon D10. Considering how expensive underwater cases are, plus how bulky they can be, the Canon was perfect - waterproof up to 10m, compact, plus the pictures came out pretty good. Its also shockproof, and that helps when your're on a bike - you're bound to bang it now and then.

Here's a review and what the Canon D10 looks like:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page2.asp

I'm not a professional photographer, I just point and shoot and hope for the best, but the cameras nowadays are pretty amazing with their range of capabilities - Im proof that you dont need to be a great photographer.

Sep 29, 2008
Have you done any touch up work on any of the pictures?

If that is the quality of the pics you are getting straight out of that D10 I would consider getting one...

Great report and pics (obviously) :)

Cheers,

Marty

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
No - no touchups. However they were taken at 4000x3000pixels - that would be about 3 megapixels. The quality improves when the pictures are resized down, or when they are printed.

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for responding and for the link. I see why you bought it. Even if you are not going underwater, this camera is a lot more versatile for a motorcyclist wanting to take pics in all weathers. Must say I am tempted myself. However I cannot help feeling that you have been to modest and the results I would get would not be quite as striking.
I have a full Nikon D200 based DSLR system, but rarely get to use it as its just too much hassle taking on the bike. Maybe time to find a buyer and get something like the Canon D10

Look forward to more great trip reports and pics from you. Thank you.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
FB666Y, and again amazing fotos of another astonishing trip. As David said, you do come around here in remote parts of Asia !! You're really a biker Legend !! Keep them coming !! Cheers & looking forward to your next report & pictures, Franz

Jan 16, 2010
Fantastic pics revived memories of our trip to Bali, The Gilies (Gili Air) and Lombok a few years ago. Rode around on rented Honda stepthroughs and saw some fantastic sights. Snorkeling on the beach where the boats land on Gili Air revealed fish and coral like those in your pics. I reckon Tanjun Aan and Mawun on Lombok should be in the world's top ten beaches.