Urgent: Export Permit Extension For Thai-registered Motorbike

Nov 13, 2012
just saw you already organized your china crossing, this way 6 months might work out actually, gonna be hell of a trip! Did you find a group of people crossing China this direction that time of the year?

Murf

Feb 27, 2019
I came out at the Huai Xai / Chiang Kong border.
6 months UK and back is very tight and has lots of hurdles in terms of Visas, or do you plan to Ship it from somewhere on the way back (Vladivostok would be good but make sure you aren't up there in winter!). Do not ship back into Thailand if you overstayed your temporary export my shipping agent warned me, she said it would be much better to ship to another country (cambodia/malaysia) and take a land border.
Problems at a land border can be sorted one way or another, at (air)ports you pay for every day you can't get the motorcycle released, often > 100$ a day.

Carnet for a Thai bike can be obtained from foreign issuing authorities, my favorite is Switzerland, fast and extremely friendly.
Already got the forms from Switzerland for the Carnet.
Plan to ride there and back no shipping. Going there via China and the Stans,Iran etc returning via Pakistan and India, I hope?? 6 months? got no time limit except the return to Thailand with the bike.
Thanks for the info.

Murf

Feb 27, 2019
just saw you already organized your china crossing, this way 6 months might work out actually, gonna be hell of a trip! Did you find a group of people crossing China this direction that time of the year?

Last edited:

Murf

Feb 27, 2019
I came out at the Huai Xai / Chiang Kong border.
6 months UK and back is very tight and has lots of hurdles in terms of Visas, or do you plan to Ship it from somewhere on the way back (Vladivostok would be good but make sure you aren't up there in winter!). Do not ship back into Thailand if you overstayed your temporary export my shipping agent warned me, she said it would be much better to ship to another country (cambodia/malaysia) and take a land border.
Problems at a land border can be sorted one way or another, at (air)ports you pay for every day you can't get the motorcycle released, often > 100$ a day.

Carnet for a Thai bike can be obtained from foreign issuing authorities, my favorite is Switzerland, fast and extremely friendly.

Already got the papers from Switzerland for the Carnet.
Joining a bike tour group to cross China 29 days 6,000+ km and on to the Stans. following basically the same route my son was on in the mongol rally but going the other way.
Arranging all visas before I leave Thailand I hope, only problem might be arriving on the correct date for the entry.
Looking forward to the Pamir Highway
Return route through Pakistan and India if all goes to plan following the seasons out of Europe and into Asia.
The only worry is the export papers from Thailand apart from that I have no time limit really.