Vang Vieng to Phonsovan (right way)

Jul 19, 2007
Hello everybody,

I plan to ride next year from Vang Vieng to Phonsovan, but by the small road on the right side, via Xasomboun and Muang Khun. Has anybody already done this way? If yes, I will be gratefull to share is experiences such as is the road OK, gasoline stations, lenght of the trip, points of interest, etc. In advance thank you very much for all answers. Best regards. Dominique

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Dominique,

Have a look at http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... frica,twin for a trip report by Craypot for the same trip.

Aug 31, 2005
theres petrol in Xaysamboun town but otherwise its mystery gas in the bottle.
Also this time of the year the bamboo bridge might not be rebuilt.

Jul 19, 2007
Hello Mike,
Thanks for your response. I will make this trip on March next year. So this is the dry season. What do you mean when you say that "the bamboo bridge might not be rebuilt"? Did it collapsed or what? On which part of the way from Vang Vieng to Phonsovan it is located (if we have to U-Turn....). Best regards. Dominique

Aug 31, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by monneratd

Hello Mike,
Thanks for your response. I will make this trip on March next year. So this is the dry season. What do you mean when you say that "the bamboo bridge might not be rebuilt"? Did it collapsed or what? On which part of the way from Vang Vieng to Phonsovan it is located (if we have to U-Turn....). Best regards. Dominique

The bridge looks like it gets washed away every year and then gets rebuilt. It should be fine in March. Its on the road between Saysamboun and Muang Khuan on the way to Phonsavan. IE the road you want to take from Vang Vieng to Phonsavan. Even if the bridge is gone in March i would think the water level in the river is low enough to walk or ride a 250 across anyway.