vehicle registration certificate for motorcycles

Discussion in 'Laos Road Trip Reports' started by claudethailand, Feb 8, 2010.

  1. claudethailand

    claudethailand New Member

    I am planning a trip to Laos and would like to know what are the last requisites.


    Where and how can I get that document ?

    thanks to everybody !
  2. Loading...

  3. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    As far as I know even these are no longer issued by the Land Transport Dept. Yep, that's right they've changed the rules / policy yet again & the motorcycle ITP book (passport) is gone as is the Vehicle Registration Certificate which replaced it!
    However it could be possible that some local Land Transport Offices still issue the certificate (or even ITP) ; so if you want to give it a go, pop along to your local vehicle rego office & ask for one. They will either say yes or no. If the answer is yes, GET one!
    Most Customs offices on the border know that the motorcycle ITP / Certificate is no longer issued, but some backward places / ill informed staff may still ask for it, in which case you will need to educate them some how.

    Have a good trip & don't forget to hit us with a trip report please.
  4. SilverhawkUSA

    SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

    In Chiang Mai, the main Land Transport Office on Hang Dong Rd, said they no longer issue the certificates.

    A check with the Nong Hoi branch, where they do only motorcycles said they do issue them, but only for Chiang Mai registered bikes. My bike is registered in Rayong and they said they could not.

    A long story of how, but I finally was able to get one from Rayong. So they DO still issue them it appears. That said, in many crossings into Laos I have never been asked for it. :?
  5. Auke

    Auke Ol'Timer

    Don't know how it is or will be for motorcycles but when I extended my ITP for my truck a few months ago I was told that, in accordance with the new Asean rules, they would supply me with new number plates (English language only).

    So my truck with the prefix Baw Waw and the number now shows R2 and the same number. Chiangmai (in Thai) has now been replaced with Thailand 52 with 52 presumably indicating the province where the car is registered.
  6. SilverhawkUSA

    SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

    David & Mai in Chiang Khong had mentioned this a number of months back. They were able to get this done in Chiang Rai where their car is registered. Did you get yours in Chiang Mai Auke?

    Davidfl crossed over from Chiang Khong (motorcycle) a few days ago and there was nothing really new regarding M/C. He said he did have to stop at the vehicle inspection building where they double checked his bikes numbers and paperwork. I had this happen in 2005, so it is "off again on again". It seems like each time you cross, it is never 100% the same.
  7. Auke

    Auke Ol'Timer

    Yes, I got this in Chiangmai. Seems to be "standard" as during my trip last month in Laos I saw numerous Thai vehicles with the new style number plates.

    The blue car registration book has an official amendment with the new number but no one has been able to tell me if I can use this new style number also in Thailand.
  8. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    Hi ya Claude. I finally caught up to you.

Share This Page