Versys Seat Swap

Jul 18, 2009
A short while ago I had an upholsterer lower my Versys seat by about an inch or so because I couldnt get both feet planted on the ground . This mod worked perfectly without the need for any changes to the geometry of the bike . I have since put on an aftermarket rear shock absorber which has again lowered the height of the bike even more now to the point that its a bit too low for me .

Would anybody be interested in swapping their standard seat for my lower seat ??
I am located in Chiang Mai

Gary

Dec 27, 2007
Dear Gary,

Did you lower the rear and leave the front untouched? Do you notice a difference in handling?

Ride On!

Tony
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150657737780710

Nov 21, 2010
Intresting ... I did first lower the bike with a "WR Lowering Kit" and about 1 week later I lowerd the seat but I did not notice so much different in hight from lowering the seat. IMO that is because you can almost not make the seat more narrow. So I wonder how you did lower you seat?

Also intresting in the aftermarket shock absorber that lowered the hight of your bike. I was once told that lowering by a shorter shock would be better for geometry of the bike as lowering with the "WR Lowering Kit". I still wonder if that is true. What kind of aftermarket shocks did you use? As I am also not really happy with the suspension, so considering change of shocks anyway (but maybe should adjust the rebound better?).

I did lower also the front, but not all the same as the rear (due to the design of the front-fork) so there is about 1inch different in lowering and I think that at sharp corners (u-turns) there is a kind feeling that comes from the change of the geometry. But I can not tell for sure as I did never ride another Versys.

When lowering the rear more as the front also take on consideration that the head-light will shine up to the moon ... well at least in the mirrors of the car & bikes in front of you.

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;269250 wrote: Intresting ... I did first lower the bike with a "WR Lowering Kit" and about 1 week later I lowerd the seat but I did not notice so much different in hight from lowering the seat. IMO that is because you can almost not make the seat more narrow. So I wonder how you did lower you seat?

Also intresting in the aftermarket shock absorber that lowered the hight of your bike. I was once told that lowering by a shorter shock would be better for geometry of the bike as lowering with the "WR Lowering Kit". I still wonder if that is true. What kind of aftermarket shocks did you use? As I am also not really happy with the suspension, so considering change of shocks anyway (but maybe should adjust the rebound better?).

I did lower also the front, but not all the same as the rear (due to the design of the front-fork) so there is about 1inch different in lowering and I think that at sharp corners (u-turns) there is a kind feeling that comes from the change of the geometry. But I can not tell for sure as I did never ride another Versys.

When lowering the rear more as the front also take on consideration that the head-light will shine up to the moon ... well at least in the mirrors of the car & bikes in front of you.

Chang Noi

I asked the question because lowering the rear will increase stability but make the bike harder to turn. (Think chopper vs sportbike). Conversely, raising the rear and/or dropping the front will make the bike more agile but can negatively affect stability.

Jul 18, 2009
Didnt lower either the front or the rear . Had some of the foam in the seat removed only at first. At a later date changed the rear shock and the front fork springs ( which wasnt meant to alter the height ) and found that for some strange reason the bike feels lower than when only the seat was shaved. Its not a big deal , I would just prefer to go back to an original height seat..

Dec 27, 2007
schackster;269261 wrote: Didnt lower either the front or the rear . Had some of the foam in the seat removed only at first. At a later date changed the rear shock and the front fork springs ( which wasnt meant to alter the height ) and found that for some strange reason the bike feels lower than when only the seat was shaved. Its not a big deal , I would just prefer to go back to an original height seat..

Sorry for any confusion, but you said in your post:

"I have since put on an aftermarket rear shock absorber which has again lowered the height of the bike even more now to the point that its a bit too low for me . "

So am I correct that you did lower the rear of the bike with a shorter aftermarket shock in addition to lowering the seat?

My question has nothing to do with the low seat, but rather with the change in geometry caused by the shorter rear shock.

Sorry if I misunderstood or was unclear
wai.gif

Nov 21, 2010
TonyBKK;269256 wrote: I asked the question because lowering the rear will increase stability but make the bike harder to turn. (Think chopper vs sportbike). Conversely, raising the rear and/or dropping the front will make the bike more agile but can negatively affect stability.

Well that might be the feeling that I think I feel hahaha.
I once had a TW225e and lowerd the front without lowering the rear and that was a not a good idea. I changed it back very quick. And I lowered it only 3cm!

Chang Noi

Nov 21, 2010
Gary just put some foam back again and it will be fine again. Maybe a bit softer foad for better comfort for the longer trips.

Chang Noi

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
ronwebb;269306 wrote: I have still got an Airhawk for sale. New/unused for 4500 THB.

Would this be the same size one i bought from Schackster??
Some thieving little brown person stole mine last week, keep watching as i see a bike go past, sure wont be anymore in Mukdahan.
Whats the price without the straps, they left those behind ??

Jul 25, 2010
Sold already today over a rather pleasant lunch I am afraid Fatlad. I threw in the straps for free!

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
ronwebb;269371 wrote: Sold already today over a rather pleasant lunch I am afraid Fatlad. I threw in the straps for free!

Thanks anyway, will buy one in Auz next month.

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
schackster;269261 wrote: Didnt lower either the front or the rear . Had some of the foam in the seat removed only at first. At a later date changed the rear shock and the front fork springs ( which wasnt meant to alter the height ) and found that for some strange reason the bike feels lower than when only the seat was shaved. Its not a big deal , I would just prefer to go back to an original height seat..

Hi
Sure the grease monkeys didnot put you Hyperpro lowering springs in???????????

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
whitehead;269399 wrote: The airhawk 14 inch really fits the versys seat like a glove. I had a use one to get the bike higher.

If you need any spare straps i have a set but no Airhawk!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 18, 2009
Ian Bungy;269403 wrote: Hell Just Buy a Brand New Seat I beat like everything Else from Kawasaki they are Cheap! Then You can sell the Chopped up seat when You have a Buyer?

Your right there Ian , I may just go and do that