Vietnam - Motorbike insurance

Sep 15, 2012
It is a legal requirement to have a Vietnamese Motorbike insurance Insurance policy as well as a Vietnamese driving Licence, but most locals and tourists get by fine without. The Vietnamese traffic police tend to leave the tourists alone because they don’t feel confident to deal with it.

Vietnamese motorbike insurance costs around $15 for the year if you are still interested.
Please fill free to contact me for more information or if you need help to obtain it.

To make a claim it can be difficult and its not really how the Vietnamese deal with Accidents. Vietnam can be a very strange country with regard to how accidents are resolved. The bigger vehicle usually pays (i.e. car drivers pay motorcyclists, motorcyclists pay cyclists). However, if you have an accident, first you have to talk with the other party to find out who has to pay and how much. If you do not agree with each other, then the police will be called and they will do their job (usually takes time) and you have to stay in Vietnam until they have the official report. Vietnamese people usually expect you to pay, even if you are right. Do not be surprised and stay calm to solve the situation. If you purchased an insurance policy, and if so request you can request to the police to file a claim.

Chris
Flamingo Travel Vietnam

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Regretably I was also advised that the foreigner pays the Vietnamese irrespective of fault...

Jan 9, 2011
For motorcycle in VN, insurance looks like not doing its job. It is one of the must have things among some documents which you have to bring with while riding.
If not having the valid insurance attached, the rider would get a ticket (80,000.00-120,000.00VND as per the latest Decision 71/2012/NĐ-CP)
And the claim process is a crazy to get paid. However, the trouble is really much terrible if you don't have a valid insurance.

For car, it works as it should be. Fine of 400,000.00-800,000.00VND if you are not having a valid insurance. And the photos and witneses are important for claim process.

Note that the vehicle insurance here is registered to the vehicle, not registered to the rider or driver.