Vintage Single-cylinder bike

Pichus

Sep 12, 2011
Greeting

Thanx for your advise

Now I'm just making documents to regist my new SRX400(for me).The model is 92 with mono chock and electrical start. It's has BKK legal plate lisence(even It's gray). When everything is done , Hope fuly I can show you Pic with this classic single power.

Pichus

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Pichus, good one SRX400 with electric start. 400's are easy to start compared to the SRX600, I even succeded in kicking a SRX400 to life without decompressor, but never succeded with the 6. Monoshock is much more modern already. Good luck with it !!

Now the Honda NT400Bros is already with its new owner a Thai friend of mine.............so down to 4 bikes, still need to do some work on the SuperTenere and also this one will be sold soon to make space for maybe an old Beemer, SR500 or BSA, whatever comes along with rego........cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
This turns out to be a never ending lovestory now. Just agreed to take back the SRX600 from Art and selling the DR650.
From day one I sold her to Art, me was thinking: "I f***** should have kept her.............................."
Had a long 'thinking-session' so I will keep for now the DR250 for offroad trips but will finish and sell the classic DT125.
FJR and Nouvo are my favourite bikes so to be kept.
As for the SRX600, will check her and finetune anything needing attention and keep her for good as my 'classic ride'.
Rgds, FR

mezcal

Jun 20, 2010
Love to follow your projects!
Do you know if there are any Yamaha XT in Thailand? Would be a nice project...

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Mezcal, sorry no, haven't seen or heard about any of these indestructible bikes in LOS, there might be some 2-3 still on the roads but I'm sure without any registration/plate, sometimes some XT250's are on sale on the Thai websites, but none with any plate either. Had one XT500 myself while at the University, was the best bike ever I had, did start on the first kick and I ran her even in wintertime with snow on the roads, never failed me. Was also a very frugal bike for petrol consumption. Bought it from a friend who crashed it just had to replace both frontforks & frontwheel to get her up again.

Yesterday concluded the deal with Blister (Art) so here she's back again.
A little unwashed/neglected but as a student you do not waste time on cleaning 55555:

SRX600-right-sm.jpg

SRX600-left-sm.jpg

Will fix the most urgent problems today and then give her a proper visual treatment, wash & polish........happy to have her back, cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Marcel,

Washing & polishing took me 5 hours yesterday but now she shines again, will have to do some repairs and a service too. Forgot to buy an oilfilter yesterday so some things have to wait until next week.
Will need to order some Fleabay parts too as the SRX600 is a very rare bike. As posted before, was sorry after selling the first time and told Art that whenever he's gonna dump it I will take her back and this came up quite unexpected. Will keep her together with the Nouvo and the FJR. DR250 once finished I will keep in Chonburi as I go there often for business and then have a bike there too.
So that's how she looks like cleaned up; you'll see her anyway today:

SRX600right-sm.jpg

and from the other side:

SRX600left-sm.jpg

I love that bike although to start her she's a real P.I.T.A. as only kickstart, would cost too much to modify for electric start as on the latest model they built.
Rgds, FR

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
A well spent weekend on the SRX600, repaired, sorted some problems; only things still needed to be done is cleaning the carbs, getting them back on plus tank & seat and the gripping bar behind the seat also needs some new red paint, sort the front blinkers and then she's ready to roll again. Can't wait to take her up Doi Inthanon soon. Rgds, FR

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Marcel, added some more red for the pillion handrail, that now smoothes everything as 3 colours, apart from the frontbrake rotor which will be polished to silver soon as will be the rear one. Still need to get some overlenght stainless steel bolts for the engine and that should be it then, no urgency anymore.

FINALLY - F I N I S H E D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spent another Saturday on changing/repairing this and that.
She's also back in my name, Friday at the DLT, the guys laughed and ask what bike I additionally will get back, me said NONE as totally happy now.
Got some parts for the upcoming Service from Pistonshop today, so now I'm fully loaded & equipped; still await Fleabay's carb-gaskets and decompressor line.
Engine starts now easily on the first kick after working on the carbs, she guzzles now much less than before with the screw-up of the needles & spacers gone.
Did repaint the handrail for the pillion to near as possible framecolour; come out nearly perfect, UV and sun will do their thing which will then have it the same colouration soon. Some stainless bolts which I have in my hobby-workshop have already been fitted, some others I must find on Fleabay first.
Could even get my emergency medical kit under the seat and manufactored some holder there too for the bikedocs-copies.
Removed the ugly yellow cats-eyes and the even uglier white framesliders but fitted a tax holder pipe. Now it's riding time again !!

FINAL FOTOS:

SRX600right-front.jpg

SRX600front.jpg

SRX600left.jpg

SRX600right.jpg

Ride on !! FR

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
So finally I'm down to 4 bikes in Thailand but have none in Austria so I decided to get myself my 'old dreambike', again a thumper and not hard to guess what it will be; my brother already got the funds from me and he will pay her and pick her up this week in western Austria.
Sorry only one foto available yet from the seller but here she is in mint condition:

YAMAHA SR500, year 1978

SR500Salzburg0213_zps74e7a34e.jpg

Luckily there's nothing to do on her, just pay-pick up-ride. Looking very much forward to ride her over my 3 preferred mountainpasses this summer: Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, Timmelsjoch and Stilfser Joch (Stelvio Pass).

So again back to 5 bikes. Will post more fotos once she's at my bro's home. Cheers, Franz

Hi Marcel, yep my hips too hurt on that small one from time to time; time to work out more 5555555. With my reduced weight not so difficult (now down to 95kgs in the morning) only problem is that all my friends around me suffer from my current 'short fuse'; I warned them that this will happen while reducing my bulk, will get worse once I quit smoking........

mezcal

Jun 20, 2010
hey Franz

We seem to have some things in common :)
I have an SR400 here, but bought a 500 in Germany, which is now waiting for me in Suedtirol. I will go home for 3 weeks in April and ride the hell out of it. Maybe even the Stilfser Joch.
Can't wait to ride on some real mountain roads again!!

For some reason I can't add pictures, so here is a blog post with images:
http://omega-racer.blogspot.com/2013/01/project-telos.html

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi mezcal are you German, Austrian, Swiss or South Tyrolean ? Yep, we have the same tastes.
You should not only try the Stilfserjoch but also the Timmelsjoch from Meran to Stubai (Oetztal in Norther Tyrol) and of course the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse from Heiligenblut in Carinthia over to Bruck in Salzburg. All fabulous mountain passes !
I will go & ride there twice this year, first one somwhere early June and the long one then beginning of September when all the holiday makers still have not arrived & are gone and prices are//came down to an acceptable level.
You can also send me a PM so we can communicate and I can send you my email address.
As for Fotos, I use PHOTOBUCKET, very easy to use once you uploaded your foto there you just click on the line and it copies itself, then you paste this line into your report.
Cheers, Franz

mezcal

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Franz

I'm Southtyrolean, from Bozen...some kind of crossover between a German and Italian. :) I like to think I'm Italian from the waist down! hahaha
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year. Far too cold and too much rain for me.
My friend will register the bike next month, so it will be ready to ride in April.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Mezcal, hope you enjoy/enjoyed riding around in the Alps, will happen for me soon too when I take my first annual leave there.
After looking for a legal plated, no Tabian Suam or the Invoice crap SR500 for 7 years in Thailand I am now happy to have one in Austria.
My father already fitted the luggage rack so she's ready to go now, just needs some polishing.
Grossglockner, St. Bernhard, Stelvio, Timmelsjoch and some others are now waiting for me.
Latest fotos my mom took & sent me:

SR500 left side
SR500left_zps2cf79bd8.jpg

SR500 front view
SR500front_zps28b0203e.jpg

SR500 back
SR500back_zps9a9b9024.jpg

SR500 right side view
SR500right_zpscf1e467f.jpg

Got meeself already a small 30 lts GIVI topcase (as always) which will be mounted on some occasions while riding longer distances just to keep important things dry. Boots, jacket, helmet trousers and gloves are ready for the Alpine Trip..........
Maybe we can meetup one day somewhere inbewteen the mountains !! Cheers, Franz