Vulcan 900 Custom.

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Well, nothing like that with my Custom so far. From skimming through the workshop manual, looks like there are different Emission Control Units for different regions.

Mine starts cleanly, idles at approx 1000rpm, and drops back a little when warm.

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Filled up with 91 Gasahol at Mae Kachan on Friday and went on to Chiang Mai at a brisk pace with Moto-Rex on pillion...
Returned to Chiang Rai at 110-120 kph, hard out on the hills, with busy Friday evening traffic meaning lots of overtaking maneuvers etc, so this really was not a lazy Sunday jaunt at all. I was surprised when I refueled this morning;
Distance: 303 kms
Fuel: 13.13 litres of 91 gasahol
- 4.33 litres per 100 kms
- 65.24 miles per gallon (Imperial)

All the reports I've read before about Gasahol led me to believe it was less likely to deliver decent fuel economy than regular 91. So far, I've run the Vulcan on 91 Regular, 91 Gasahol and 95 Gasahol due to the vagaries of supply in the north. Subjective assessment is that it runs sweetly on 91 Gasahol, and delivers impressive fuel efficiency. If anything, riding a little harder seems to deliver equal or better economy... Either that, or the airflow improvements from the new windshield have made a very positive difference!

The previous figures were;
Distance: 280kms
Fuel: 13.3 litres of 91 gasahol
4.73 litres per 100 kms
59.52 miles per gallon (Imperial)

Improvement: 0.4 litre in 100 kms / and 5.72 miles per gallon

Aug 9, 2012
Hello, apologies my first post being a question ..

I have a Vulcan Custom 900 its 10 months old, I have ran it on benzine but it snow being phased out the amount of conflicting information I am being given is amazing , can any one confirm the best fuel to run it on..

Many thanks