Wat Phutthabat Si Roi 2 Waterfalls with Nanny

Discussion in 'Touring Northern Thailand - Trip Reports Forum' started by Ally, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Last week I went back to San Kamphaeng with Pe'Took and investigated the Cave Temple near to the hot springs where I visited the car park on my previous ride and didn't go up the steps.

Well worth the climb & despite the exhaustion & heat, once inside, the air temperature drops like any cave, nice and chilly & a little damp.

Inside there are some Buddha images and lots of stalag tites & mites and to get down into the bowels of the cave, there are concrete steps with rusting iron hand rails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On exiting the cave, we met up with a girl holding a nice camera. In the car park, she got on a Kawasaki KSR and at the local shop where we both stopped for water, we got chatting. Her name is Nanny

Today, I met up with Nanny for a ride to Mae Rim with the intention of finding Wat Phutthabat Si Roi. This temple is near to where I rode on 22 April, through the mountain from Mork Fa and at that time, I didn't realise this temple existed. (If I had checked the GTR map, I would have known!)

Ally - DTracker
    Nanny - Honda ?? Answers on a postcard please.
    Distance 150 kms

We took the 107 out of town and after Mae Rim, we turned left onto the 3009 & up to Wat Phrakat Tham, where we turned left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We followed this road and overshot our intended turning and found ourselves at Wat Nong Kai at which point I realised my mistake.

[​IMG]

So we returned and took the turning up the mountain, fully signposted all the way with a yellow footprint on a green sign - How could I miss that !

Our next stop was Tard Luang Waterfall. A little bit of off road but well worth the ride. At the top of the track it gets narrow but just enough space to 6 point turn a bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next stop was Sai Mok Waterfall. This time the light was brighter and the waterfall was more active.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So on up the mountain. This road is a great ride, all concrete, apart from the sand, the cow & deer shit and the hairpins all have mirrors.

On past my exit from Mork Fa 7 weeks ago, we travel just another few kms and arrive at small village, a very large car park and 2 temples with just one food vendor available for lunch.

[​IMG]

In the larger of the 2, the ceremony of making merit by adding gold to balls which will shortly be entombed is under way and Nanny & I made our offerings. The detail in this temple is amazing, startling and overwhelming. It is too much for one visit to appreciate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Across the car park, to the older temple which houses the big foot print (that's a print of a Buddha's foot not Sasquatch) and in an adjoining building there is an enormous collection of various size Buddha images.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it was all down hill from here, the sky was clouding up and as we descended, the road was wet and steaming from a recent shower but we seemed to be lucky, following the storm down into Chiang Mai, rather than being part of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very pleasant ride and wonderful to have interesting and photographically challenging company ! -

Ally

2. Nice one Ally, and great shots as usual.

Is that Dave Unk's old bike???

3. Mate, you mean Nannys bike?
    i had a look on her own web page what Ally provided and there she mention that bike is his father's old bike,, but where the father got it,,,,,who knows...

4. I will ask Nanny for her dad's story about the bike and let you know.

Ally

5. Sounds like a great trip – and love those small classic singles (the Honda). Also what brand/kind of camera does Nanny use, it’s has great color. In the market for a more proper camera, not a point and shoot type.

Oh, and the cave's is on our list now - thank you.

Kev

6. Kevin - Nanny has a Nikon and fully appreciates which buttons to push. Like many folks on the net, she also knows her image processing stuff too.

No sour grapes from me, I get all worried when sat at my computer tweaking the colours but I guess I am just too old school :shock:

I said it ! :shock: :lol:

But I guess after a few more lessons in photoshop I might get the hang of levels, masks and dodging!

Ally

7. Well Colin to tell you the truth, it's a wet 35 most days and then it rains !

Hope all is well there in the UK.

Ally

8. A couple of photos to show the beauty of the Buddha Footprint temple Wat Phraphutthabat Si Roi.

272808=5717-img_8866.

272808=5718-img_8878_0.

272808=5719-img_8869_0.

272808=5720-img_8870_0.

and the way there

272808=5721-img_8881.

Trip on 1 Nov 2011. Thanks to Ron Webb & John Gooding for the company & ride.

9. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, thanks David and John. Also, the views along the way were grand. A couple more pictures

272967=5876-4%20footprints2.

272967=5877-4%20footprints%203.

10. A quick late arvo trip out to Wat Phutthabat Si Roi
    The Buddha Foot Print temple & it's been 7 years since I was last out there with Ron Webb.
    You have to say WOW!
    Business is booming - scores of new Buddhas + a smart big new coffee shop.

The new entrance
    -GTR-IMG_7798--.JPG
    a massive work in progress

Stairway
    -GTR-IMG_7802--.JPG

Images everywhere to pray & make merit
    -GTR-IMG_7804--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7805--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7806--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7808--.JPG

Buddhas by the score
    -GTR-IMG_7814--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7815--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7816--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7819--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7822--.JPG

Buddha's footprint
    -GTR-IMG_7833--.JPG

a place to make merit & get good luck
    -GTR-IMG_7839--.JPG

the new coffee shop by the entrance - what a beauty.
    -GTR-IMG_7800--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7843--.JPG

with an impressive array of teas
    -GTR-IMG_7840--.JPG

-GTR-IMG_7841--.JPG

all nicely served with a "3 minute timer"
    -GTR-IMG_7846--.JPG
    to get right strength brew

Check it out some time.
    GTR-GPS-Profile-BuddhaFootprint.
    Its an amazing twisting steep ride though the mountains
    GTR-GPS-Map007B.