Attachments

• IMG_5023.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 277

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Perhaps a good place to ask this question is here. I'm looking for a bike for my SO. She can ride bikes (big/small) and is a skilled rider in and on basically anything that has wheels and an engine, no problem but the issue is that she's not particularly tall (160cm, short legs). We've been looking at quite a few bikes and she likes something capable for most roads including the odd dirt/gravel road if we come across it. It doesn't have to be a fast bike or one with lots of power. Bikes like a CRF250L, KLX250Himalayan, Bullet, CB500X, GS310 etc are either too heavy or too high. She can ride on my himalayan but it's too heavy and too high for her to comfortably and confidently ride it. Second hand no problem.

The bikes we're considering are:
RE meteor 350
Kawa W175
CB300? or CBR250 (but not really good for all road)
Older type CB400
??

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Perhaps a good place to ask this question is here. I'm looking for a bike for my SO. She can ride bikes (big/small) and is a skilled rider in and on basically anything that has wheels and an engine, no problem but the issue is that she's not particularly tall (160cm, short legs). We've been looking at quite a few bikes and she likes something capable for most roads including the odd dirt/gravel road if we come across it. It doesn't have to be a fast bike or one with lots of power. Bikes like a CRF250L, KLX250Himalayan, Bullet, CB500X, GS310 etc are either too heavy or too high. She can ride on my himalayan but it's too heavy and too high for her to comfortably and confidently ride it. Second hand no problem.

RE meteor 350
Kawa W175
Older type CB400
??

Do any of the 300/350 range of scooters fit her requirements ?..........I know they are not offroad suited much but can go most places, not too expensive, quite capable touring, and huge underseat storage..........come to traffic lights and just slide forward off the seat and shorter people will have no problem.........I luv my X-Max

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Do any of the 300/350 range of scooters fit her requirements ?..........I know they are not offroad suited much but can go most places, not too expensive, quite capable touring, and huge underseat storage..........come to traffic lights and just slide forward off the seat and shorter people will have no problem.........I luv my X-Max
Yeah good point actually. I'll have to look into those. They look very comfy indeed and you can slide forward at traffic lights as you mentioned. It's just overcoming this idea of a scooter vs motorbike.... sensitive point for me....hahahahaha automatic gears vs manual and in Holland you don't need a motorcycle license to ride a scooter <400cc so people say it doesn't count as motorcycle...

We're going to look into it.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

RE meteor 350
Kawa W175
Older type CB400
??

What about the Versys 300
1609482335467.png

With the low seat option.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Thanks for the replies. We actually looked at the versys 300 and cb500x with a low seat and it's still too high....

Ducati scrambler.... Love it but I'm afraid its a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

We got a vstrom for the weekend since I tore up the front tire of my Himalayan on Mitraphap road on Friday and all the shops were closed so limping back home and no riding for the rest. Loved the bike and I'm thinking, why not get a comfy bike for long distance that we can ride two up... probably easier than getting two bikes. we went to Khao Thevada today. Wonderful ride, nice and cool in the morning, beautiful views and a bit dusty. I'll try to post some pics / video later.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks for the replies. We actually looked at the versys 300 and cb500x with a low seat and it's still too high....

Ducati scrambler.... Love it but I'm afraid its a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

We got a vstrom for the weekend since I tore up the front tire of my Himalayan on Mitraphap road on Friday and all the shops were closed so limping back home and no riding for the rest. Loved the bike and I'm thinking, why not get a comfy bike for long distance that we can ride two up... probably easier than getting two bikes. we went to Khao Thevada today. Wonderful ride, nice and cool in the morning, beautiful views and a bit dusty. I'll try to post some pics / video later.
The Vstrom is a great reliable, economical bike & very comfy touring two-up.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
650 V Strom is my bike of choice whenever I am able to get up there. 2 up, all our gear for 2 weeks, pillion isn't squashed in, perfect balance of power & torque for both freeway and the roller coaster type roads. Goes forever on a tank of gas ....

Great choice .....

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
650 V Strom is my bike of choice whenever I am able to get up there. 2 up, all our gear for 2 weeks, pillion isn't squashed in, perfect balance of power & torque for both freeway and the roller coaster type roads. Goes forever on a tank of gas ....

Great choice .....
Yeah I've experienced that as well. We were really comfortable on the bike two up with luggage. The seat is surprisingly good. It had no issues going up hill even with pretty sandy parts and lots of loose small rocks. Then highway was again very relaxed. My wife kept saying we should buy it. So I'll have a chat today with the guy we rented it from. I was supposed to keep the bike longer but everything is locked down again in Bangkok so I can't go anywhere. Was really looking forward to this as it was my first holiday in months but so be it.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
650 V Strom is my bike of choice whenever I am able to get up there. 2 up, all our gear for 2 weeks, pillion isn't squashed in, perfect balance of power & torque for both freeway and the roller coaster type roads. Goes for

Great choice .....
What tires are you running on it? This one had pirelli scorpions.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
The Vstrom is a great reliable, economical bike & very comfy touring two-up.
I really like the bike. Was pleasantly surprised with it when I got on it and rode the first few miles. We did over 350 km yesterday and with my Himalayan I would have been pretty tired and worn out but now I was a bit stiff in the muscles and legs etc but still good to enjoy dinner and a few beers.

I must say though that the Himalayan's ability off road though is really impressive. I did Khao Thevada both on the Himalayan and the Vstrom and they behave differently.

We saw a guy and his GF going up on a CB650. The girl was very uncomfortable and the guy was struggling to keep the bike up straight.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
What tires are you running on it? This one had pirelli scorpions.

Pirelli Scorpions, which seems to be what I'm stuck with each time.
I actually liked the OEM Bridgestones, & would love to give them another go, but each time I'm up for new tyres there doesn't seem to be a set available. It's always one or the other - front or rear, seldom both in stock. So It's basically been the Scorpion Trails for 150,000 kms, & I don't really have any complaints with them.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Pirelli Scorpions, which seems to be what I'm stuck with each time.
I actually liked the OEM Bridgestones, & would love to give them another go, but each time I'm up for new tyres there doesn't seem to be a set available. It's always one or the other - front or rear, seldom both in stock. So It's basically been the Scorpion Trails for 150,000 kms, & I don't really have any complaints with them.
I liked the scorpions for the 700KM that I have done on it. Enough grip on normal roads and nice off road. I don't know how it behaves in wet weather and muddy trails. I run MT60 (60/40) tires on my Himalayan which I can't complain about. The scorpions did seem a bit noisy at certain speeds.

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
^ Are you talking about the Scorpion Trail 2 ?.........Scorpion Trail 2 are great in the wet, I have no noise issues on my Honda NC750X

Lots of friends run the Pirelli STR and they are also great in the wet, I have never had them on my bike though

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
^ Are you talking about the Scorpion Trail 2 ?.........Scorpion Trail 2 are great in the wet, I have no noise issues on my Honda NC750X

Lots of friends run the Pirelli STR and they are also great in the wet, I have never had them on my bike though
I think they were scorpion Rally STR.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

ThaiPete2016

Apr 13, 2021
Stuck in Australia
From Humble beginnings to the Tourer it was meant to be. I have owned a fair array of bikes over the years, but I would have to say the Big S10 has been my favorite by far..

How it started .jpg

View attachment 140844
Bit heavy on the slippery stuff and not much fun unpacking the whole bike to stand it back up again.
Awesome everywhere to ride, hills, straights, dirt, bitumen, slow or fast.
Pong_1.jpeg
Chaing Mai.jpg

One day I will get back, so much of that great place I still want to see :eyes:

I will say it was so much easier to find all of the "out of the way" with the GT Rider maps:p

Yamaha's Super Tenere XT1200Z, Full Arrow Titanium race exhaust System, Power Commander = Fun.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: