What Bike to buy

Mobaan

Apr 10, 2005
Hi Guys ,I am new here on this board ,however not so new to Thailand . I am approx. 6 month per year in SEA -mostly Thailand-based in Udon Thani.
I do ride a Honda Phantom ,but want to buy an offroad bike to have some fun in the mountains. Yes, we do have hills /mountains around here-maybe not as high as around Ching Mai ,but nevertheless. Further the Loie Region is only about 120 km away and there are some real mountains.
Anyway ,the Phantom does not take the hills lightly ,I burn out my clutches too quickly. I weigh about 220# and have driven Bajas ,but mainly on flat land. The 250cc seem to me sufficient,but are they really in the mountains ,perhaps even with a little rider on the backseat?Would a 400 cc be more advisable?
Any first hand experience /advise out there??

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
If you want a true offroad bike, you will have trouble finding anything bigger than a 250.

Power should be fine for you and luggage, or you and a small passenger. Not really big enough for two-up touring with gear.

My first tour in Laos was on a 250, mostly on road. It pulled fine up in the mountains. Max speed was about 120 kph on the flats.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Mobaan

Apr 10, 2005
Along the same line -to expand the question a bit : what do you all think about the Honda Africa Twin-where would a bike like that really be approprite? For my zipping around the local mountains it migth be a little heavy -I think . Never driven one ,only seen and admired from the distance.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Before David Unkovich tells you how wonderful the Africa Twin is, I will tell you that I find them a bit tall and top heavy.

But, my legs are a bit shorter than David's. Try riding one before you buy it.

I ride TDMs. More of a road bike than the AT, and much shorter seat height.

Check out some of David's photos on this thread:
Link removed

It will show you some of the "roads" that were done with an AT and a TDM. It will also show how well an AT fits in a truck when it breaks down.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Juergen
The right bike is the one you feel most comfortable on & enjoy riding the most. Everyone has his or her own favourite.
I love my Africa Twin – reliable, economical & sort of goes anywhere – depending on your riding ability. The weight & height is a problem for smaller weaker guys.
The AT is becoming a cult bike since they stopped producing them a year ago, with prices going up & the bike becoming well sought after – a couple of the GT Riders have two each!
It is also one of the most popular RTW (round the world) bikes, so it aint bad at all.

But if you’re over in Loei why don’t you take a look at
Ozzyboy’s Honda XL600/500 for sale in Chiang Khan
http://www.baerware.com/cambodia/Malari ... to_32.html
this might do for a start.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On