Where to buy clothing/safety gear in HCMC?

James7

Oct 2, 2010
Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy some gear in HCMC, mainly after a decent tough jacket that's breathable?

Apr 27, 2010
Hi people,

I spent the day yesterday criss-crossing Saigon in a taxi visiting these shops (they're at two locations now, can't remember the second address but ask for a business card at the one in this thread) in hope to find a pair of "Alpinestars" soft saddle bags with out luck, (they where on their website until the same day i arrived in Saigon then disappeared, bummer..:(

Anyway, since i was there i checked out some of their other stuff.

A lot of what they have, gloves, armour, clothes, boots etc. is clearly fake and of poor quality, although i did see a couple of Yellowcorn and Alpinestars jackets that appeared to be genuine. It might be more there but i didn't go trough it all. Prices seemed to be significantly lower than in Thailand. The summer gloves i looked at went for 6-800,000 dong (around 1000 THB, similar gloves i've seen in LOS is around 2-3000 THB.) Didn't buy any, quality just too low..

Cheers

Dec 23, 2010
I've also been to the same shop, I ended up buying some gloves and a helmet really out of desperation more than anything. I also thought a couple of jackets were decent although they were a little small!

I live in central Vietnam and am heading back up there later tonight - if anyone has any more information about protective gear in Saigon I would love if you could post up some info!

I am probably going to check out a place called bikercity in district 7 this afternoon at least - the details are on another thread in this forum. I'll post back if I find anything decent.

Dec 23, 2010
Ok, so I was referring to the place Mr Viethorse posted here:

"4.Bike City..
- Add: 480 D Nguyen Thi Thap Street, Tân Quy Ward, District 7 - HCMC.
- WP: Lat 10°44'21.52"N / Lon 106°42'27.35"E (estimated)
- Service: All kinds of repair, maintenance, overhaul, parts, accessories, Wi-fi cafe..."

I zoomed in there really quick and found a lightweight mesh jacket with protective inserts (more later).

So, I can only really comment on the accessories because that's all I was interested in (and had time for):

There were a few full body suits (didn't really check these out), helmets (agv and aprilla $350-$550) and some jackets.

There weren't many jackets, most of them were branded 'Honda', weighed a lot and were mainly leather. I was looking for XXXL as this seems to be the Asian size that will get around my gut (I reFUSE to be believe I'm that size at home!) The largest size they had was '3L', which I believe corresponds to XXL? Anyway, they only had this size in the jacket I bought. The jacket appears to actually be genuine, there is a 'Honda' tag on it and various bits identifying it as from the 2009 Shinichiro Arakawa range. It is very lightweight, however the protective inserts look identical to those on the Honda Japan website (http://www.honda.co.jp/bike-accessories/wear/protector/pr13.html). The jacket has adjustable zips and straps and buttons all over it and the inserts all come in their own pockets for adjustability and upgrade I presume. I paid 3,000,00VND for it, the original price was $180, but there is a 20% discount on all accessories at the moment.

The wi-fi cafe isn't there anymore. I believe it used to be Black Cat cafe's second premises - DO GO to the original one on Phan Van Dat, Dist 1 Tel: 829 2055, the burgers are INSANE!

There were some cool looking bikes there but I didn't take a look at any of them. I noticed a VN guy was getting his bike serviced and they mentioned that a Filipino guy goes in their regularly for upgrades/modifications.

Please, anyone reading my mini 'review' bear in mind that I've only been riding bikes for a couple of years, solely in VN (aside from a couple of days around the streets of Phnom Penh) and solely on smaller CC bikes (Wave, Airblade and now my own Honda Future). In fact, I have only just recently set out to buy some protective gear - so you experienced guys will have to glean what you can. I've found a similar jacket (http://ps05.aucfan.com/aucview/yahoo/h143082459/) on-line and would appreciate some kind of feedback on my purchase.

Oh - and ow I've had chance to sit back at home and write a decent post - Hello everyone, I live in Central VN. I've been riding around these parts for a year and a half or so - although I'm not really sure if I have anything worth posting on the trip reports section. I could well be doing a more substantial trip soon, if so, I'll take a few pictures and post them up.

jigs

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all!!!

I am a bike enthusiast living in HCMC. Im new here in GT forum. If there is anyone interested in purchasing motorcycle safety gears and apparels please check this link:
http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/classifieds/g22-tanch-rider-gear-page23.html

I work in HCMC (Vietnam Airlines) and my intention is purely to help provide gears to fellow riders in this part of the globe as I saw the scarcity and lack of safety gears.

I am a part owner of the above-mentioned web-based store. And due to the nature of my job, I am able to go back to the Philippines on a regular basis. Most, if not all of the items are imported from the USA. And the prices are comparable, sometimes even lower than US prices. (42PHP = 1USD)

If there is anything you fancy from the said website, please don't hesitate to contact me at: +841218994076 or email me at [email protected]
I will only charge a minimal fee of 10% of the cost of the item to cover excess baggage/cargo fee.

Moderators, please feel free to remove this post if you think it is offensive in nature. I am only trying to help, but if you feel I am doing otherwise, I will respect it.

Thank you for reading!

Jan 19, 2012
To all:

Bike City @ 480 D Nguyen Thi Thap Street, Tân Quy Ward, District 7 - HCMC is no longer in operation. Went by there today, and now its a Billiards hall.

Xe Motor, is still in the same location in D3.

J

Axel_F

Jun 13, 2009
The other option would be to go to the Russian Market. I dont have the exact address, but it's about 1km from the Stock Exchange coming from Ton Duc Thanh. The pink high rise. Two shops. One on the ground floor, one on the second floor. Good pants and good jackets. No other gear.