Which bike would you like to see for sale in Thailand?

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
What about a wish-list for motorcycles - Christmas is coming up! :)

Which bike would you buy if it were available for sale here in Thailand, if it isn't for sale already? And how much would you be willing to pay for it?

There have been repeated requests for the KLR650, for the Africa Twin and for the Versys which hopefully will be available soon.

What other bikes would have a chance of a buyer here? I'm not talking about dream bikes, no MV Agusta, 1600cc BMW or Boss Hoss but bikes you would ride on a daily basis and could realistically afford.

If the makers would ask: "Which bikes should we bring in? " which bike would be on the top of your list?

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
ahhh... Finally a topic I can have some input into from back in Aus :D ...

I reckon one bike that would do pretty well in Thailand is the Suzuki DL650 Vstrom...

2009-Suzuki-V-Strom650-DL650a-small.jpg

650cc, not too heavy, nice at high speed, about 50hp, dual sport although mostly road orientated... Jap prce and reliability...

The old blokes bike of choice in Aus at the moment...

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
Right Deewoo leave the old blokes jokes alone. My DL650 Strom will be touring Thai soon! and look forward to some rides.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Wasn't having a go at old blokes... old blokes tend to be a bit more practical in their decision making...

Young blokes, like John Gooding, want an R1 so they can do 300km/h in 5 seconds and wheelstand from BKK to Nong Khai... Old blokes. like me, want something that can get them from one clean public toilet to the next in the most comfort, with the most reliability, for the best value...

Done a few miles on a mates Vstrom here in Aus, 'cause my old tractor won't haul my non-Thai wife and I around in comfort all day... not an exciting bike, good but not great performance, good but not great handling, good but not great brakes... hardly the sort of bike people get a woody over at the bike show... but 'fit for purpose' I reckon it would be a great bike for Thailand, for those of us more mature than John Gooding...

Daewoo

May 6, 2009
I would like to see the big capacity Hondas available and also the Aprilia range.
I have had to buy two CBR1000RR in pieces and go through the green book process to make them Legal or semi legal depends on how people think.
My brother has a 2010 VTR250 in Australia and he is very pleased with that bike. I think it could be popular in Thailand.
But Honda Thailand doesn’t seem interested in selling anything bigger than their CBR150R.

I particularly like the Aprilia Shiver range as a transport bike and I would definitely buy the 2011 up graded RSV4 once it is released

Nov 7, 2007
Any BMW at or near U.S. prices rather than 2x++ .... Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R would be nice too.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Yamaha XT660X:
09-XT660X-1.jpg

and Moto Guzzi Griso:
Moto_Guzzi_Griso_8v.jpg

would be on my wishlist..... :mrgreen:
cheers, Franz

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
I would like to see Honda and Suzuki come to Thailand soon. Offering more bike options including big cruisers like Suzi M109, V star 1300, and VTX Fury 1300 not your fastest bikes but offer a more relaxed riding experience for older farts like myself. I have never been a Harley fan but each to their own.

Cheers

rmbike

Jun 28, 2010
generally the bikes i want are available new at a price lower than in oz!

also funny when you see a 20xx model in los weeks or months before they make it to shore in oz!!

moto-x bikes and their enduro equiv that is.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
rmbike wrote: generally the bikes i want are available new at a price lower than in oz!

also funny when you see a 20xx model in los weeks or months before they make it to shore in oz!!

moto-x bikes and their enduro equiv that is.
Wot bikes are those??? Unregisterable dirt bikes???

I'm flying up to Brissy tomorrow to take ownership of a brand new second hand 2008 FZ1 - $Au9,000 Vs Schacksters Thailand Bargain (still can't believe it hasn't sold) at $Au14,000...

I thought that Jap bikes in Aus are pretty competitive internationally... (other than the US obliviously)

Sep 4, 2007
daewoo wrote: Wasn't having a go at old blokes... old blokes tend to be a bit more practical in their decision making...

Young blokes, like John Gooding, want an R1 so they can do 300km/h in 5 seconds and wheelstand from BKK to Nong Khai... Old blokes. like me, want something that can get them from one clean public toilet to the next in the most comfort, with the most reliability, for the best value...

for those of us more mature than John Gooding...

Daewoo
Difficult to totally ignore Darryls, time warped comments, even though not really on topic as I too am happy to choose from the increasing range of bikes available in Thailand rather than constantly harp on about what is not available.
So from a definately OLD BLOKES perspective, I was lucky enough thanks to Brian to have the chance to ride some bikes for an extended period that were not owned by me, and found that first impressions after a quick sit on, or 20 minute test, can be reversed by a longer ride and the time to learn how to ride the bike effectively.
As I have become gradually an OLDER BLOKE, I seem to have avoided the 'growing old gracefully' theme in favour of 'growing old disgracefully', ... much more fun. Also due to decreasing physical strength as one 'gets on' I have tended toward smaller lighter bikes, hence FJR to FZ1 to R1. And BMW R1200GS to F800GS. Riding the heavier bikes on the road the weight is not usually noticeable, but manhandling them when not riding, even getting on and off the centre stand, becomes more of an issue for OLD BLOKES.
The aquisition of the R1, was actually a sound financial decision, I had tried to sell the FZ1, as same as Gary was having difficulty, (Gary now sold his bike yesterday, so congrats to him on his new bike, which I will let him announce). It will be easier to sell than the FZ1, but I am having too much fun on it now to think about selling. Must find a way of refuelling in flight because it is a shame having only a 220km wheelie range, not the full BKK to Nong Khai that Daewoo states. The R1 is actually a great bike, even for the 2,500km of travel in 5 days I did recently, 80% of it in quite slow company. 50% of it in the rain. 100% reliable, economical on fuel at normal cruising speed, wicked acceleration when required, and at least for me, comfortable. For my trips from CM to KK, I would choose it every time over any other bike I have owned, come rain or shine. For The MHS loop, Doi Ang Khan, Doi Mae Salong and all the great mountain trips around here, give me the BMW. For popping into CM, 5km from my house and using the pavement shortcuts or avoiding the CM moat traffic jams, I take the D-Tracker. I am very happy with the choice of bikes here and look forward to the next few years and checking out what becomes available.
Darryl, always look forward to your stimulating comments, good job OLD BLOKES skin gets thicker as the years pass by :lol-sign:

Nov 7, 2007
monsterman wrote: I want the New NORTON Commando 961 to come here and Aprillia , Moto Guzzi and Victory as well,
Post some pictures, people!

This is pretty cool Monsterman ;)

2010-Norton-Commando-961-SE-Wallpaper%201.jpg

Unfortunately, this forum cuts off all pictures on the right - make the browser window as big as you can to see the whole thing.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Here's an interesting article for John... errr, old blokes, I mean. Says that riding bikes is good for your bones and even keeps you sharp - "The group that rode motorbikes posted higher marks in cognitive function tests," Kawashima said. Bring out your reading glasses and check it out:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/ ... /#comments

Nov 2, 2008
Video of how John, errre the old blokes ride a GS in Thailand;

[youtube:38yql7d9] /youtube:38yql7d9]

A normal priced GS would be sweet, had far too many friends buy near new GS800 or 650 in the last couple of years for prices that look sooooo good to anyone living in the land of similes. Hard times in California makes for some sweet deals for the northern neighbors.

Sep 4, 2007
That is truly amazing and inspiring footage. My bike does not seem to go in quite the same way. Maybe the secret is the 3 large Twisted Throttle boxes on the bike.
Seriously though it is very reassuring to know that I am riding way within the performance envelope of the bike and that the bike is capable of so much more. Does show thought that even the experts have to be willing to fall off now and then to learn how to do those things. I like the forward roll off the bike, maybe try that one on my front lawn.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I Told You before the BMW F800GS is the Best Bike I have ever Ridden straight out of the Box. Amazing Handling!!! I want to See You doing some of that next time You are at the X-Centre Mr Gooding!!!

mickba

Jan 19, 2009
The Yamaha XTZ660 would be superb, but I dread to think what the price would be with import duty.

My hopes were once raised by a story that MZ might be coming to Thailand or was it Malaysia to produce their Baghira (same same).

Sep 4, 2007
Ian Bungy wrote: I Told You before the BMW F800GS is the Best Bike I have ever Ridden straight out of the Box. Amazing Handling!!! I want to See You doing some of that next time You are at the X-Centre Mr Gooding!!!
OK, will do, I think it will be the falling off the bike bit at the end.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
johngooding wrote: [quote quote=Ian Bungy]I Told You before the BMW F800GS is the Best Bike I have ever Ridden straight out of the Box. Amazing Handling!!! I want to See You doing some of that next time You are at the X-Centre Mr Gooding!!!
OK, will do, I think it will be the falling off the bike bit at the end.
:lol-sign: :clap:

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've had my share of big bikes and maybe one day in another country I will have some again, but here in Thailand I want something light, simple, easy to maneuver bikes with no more than 50 horses that go around 150km/h tops.
I had a carbed VTR250 for a couple of years and loved it - felt like a real bike but was small enough to squeeze through traffic like a Honda Wave.
A Varadero 125 is a full size V-Twin with about 15 horses and Honda quality, should be perfect for backroads.
The Hornet 250 with its high-revving inline four comes to mind, it's a mechanical masterpiece, light, nimble and may show a much bigger bike a trick or two.
Any japanese made 250cc supermoto with at least 25 horses, preferrably with a V or parallel twin - who qualifies?
Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM.
And finally: The 2011 KTM Duke 125!