Why You Should Ride The 4010 (..and More)

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
4010-featured-image.jpg

As we know, Northern Thailand has some of the most spectacular roads on offer, giving us the opportunity to ride on mountain routes with fabulous mountain vistas. Many of these routes are well-known and well-documented (and most of them originally documented in English by David & GT.Rider members!), and then there are still some lesser-known beauties such as the R4010.

Veteran member Ian (ianyonok) already posted a fab report of the 4010 HERE, but here is my contribution on this great road, which I had the joy of riding on recently. My report includes the R1024 and the R1216.

Route: (Google Map Link)– from Chiang Mai

4010-combo-map-1024x341.jpg

The R1024
The first section of the road has smooth sweeping curves and fabulous panoramic views. A quiet road and the perfect introduction to the start of this loop (or the perfect wind-down, depending on your riding direction).

r1024-mid.jpg

The 4010!
The fab steep mountain road of the 4010 leads to fantastic views. Due to rain and with it being rarely used, the ride was a little slippery at times, slowing me right down. I noted too that some of the views were obscured due to the lush greenery sprouting up all around. When I road the route back in March last year, the area was dry and the views clear. (Trip report for that particular ride is HERE ). I would also say that the route is probably best if you ride it from East to West, as that offers the best views.

(I loved this road so much the first time I rode it and was frustrated about having no more GoPro battery life to record some of the route. It was a real unexpected delight! Click HERE for the original teaser video I made based on the small amount of footage I took at the time via my dying phone).

4010-mid.jpg

The 1216
This road is more well-known, and really so beautiful. I know David has a photo and reports of this road from many many years back. I do plan on returning to this area again in the cool season, where I will likely camp overnight at Khun Sathan National Park.

viewpoint-1024x512.jpg

Stunning viewpoint on the 1216! –

Recommended Food Stop:

10,000 Miles Biker Cafe
Fab cafe stop for food and drinks, on the R1216, just off the 4010. Lots of biker info and stickers etc.
Official Facebook Page for this fab cafe is HERE.
(For whatever reason, I forgot to stop at the cafe this time around and went to a little roadside place. This is the cafe I recommend though.)
A previous photo was taken at this cafe in 2017. Trip report for that ride: “5 Days/7 Provinces Ride

sdasb-scaled.jpg

Additionally:

Just East of the 4010 is the route that takes you down to Paknai Fisherman’s Village at Queen Sirikit Dam. Here you can take a ferry across the dam on your vehicle (I believe the cost for a motorcycle is around 150 baht). Here is my video showing the crossing from last year:

Hope everyone is doing ok at this really weird time in the world.
My best!

Reactions: DavidFL