Wonder if they will ease border crosing requirements?

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Plans outlined for Asean tourism boost
By Suchat Sritama
The Nation
Published on May 8, 2009

The third plan is to develop intra-regional tourism. This is to make up for the drop-off in arrival numbers due to people avoiding overseas travel because of the global economic downturn.
"The ministry will propose the road map at the Asean Summit, which is currently earmarked to be held in Phuket on June 13-14," Sasithara said.

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
Ray,
When your group wants to come to Laos, I'll be happy to get the permits for the bike group at cost for you all. You need at least 5 bikes but I can get this done relatively quickly (for Laos).

Jim

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks I appreciate that d finding five guys with books on their bikes will be the problem.

Jan 21, 2009
About a year ago I read that cambo,thai,lao and viet, reached an agreement that they would have 1 single visa for foreigners to travel between the countries. After I read it was approved, I never heard any thing about it again. Any one else have info on this?

Jun 1, 2008
If such a trip is between 24th June and 14th july, and a hire bike would be allowed please consider me in the team too
T

Jun 1, 2008
pseacraft wrote: I would say a rental bike on the north side of the river would just so happen to be right up Jimoi's alley. :D I'll be back in LOS the week of the Queens birthday. :wink:
More than happy to do that but if I understood Jims post, he needs a minimum of five bikes to cross the border. I read somewhere that Mr Mechanic has plated and insured bikes which he allows across the border.

All brand new, ZERO kms & ready to ride.
Rental 1,000 baht a day with FULL COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE.

Now with rego, Mr Mechanic will rent the bikes to go to Laos!!
Either way, I would be a starter, depending on detals (timing, duration etc)

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Your right it was five, let things ride for a bit and maybe it will happen.

I'll br dragging my 400 over waht are guys going to ride?

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

I'll keep an eye on watching this post as I'll receive my brand new GSAd round these dates and one of my best friends from France will join me for riding with my Suzuki DRZ.

We'll be around at these dates (20th June~20 July) with the obligation to be in Bangkok on the 14th of July (French Ambassy Official Ceremony for the Fête Nationale du 14 juillet)...

Please Ray, clearly post your intention as soon you'll will have an idea of what you intend to do.

May I ask you as well what kind of papers you'll advice to have if such ride happens ?

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I don't know might enlighten us on that, he said five bikes I wasmore curious about if thuings would ease at the border. But sounds like a great ride idea.

Jim sounds like it might be possible to get five bikes together, what would you need from us?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
pseacraft wrote: Definitely an option David. I do like the easy button though! :shock: since I live 12km from Friendship Bridge and Ray is just about 40km beyond me. :lol: I just hope that I can make this one!

Eric
Well I reckon it's a no brainer. If you can't get across the bridge into Laos, just ride 140 kms down to Bun Kan, do the paperwork, get on the ferry & cross into Laos at Pakxan. AND ride out across the bridge - weird isn't it?
There are a couple of reports on the forum about using Bun Kan / Pakxan if you want to look.

BUT, you do need a Laos visa in advance, there is no visa on arrival at Pakxan (yet.) However if you already live in / around Nong Khai or Udon, the Lao consulate is just down the road in Khon Kaen & that's a local ride.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
That doesn't sound to bad, do yuo have to do anything in advance on the bike? Sorry guys I'm not doing any long rides till the season starts again to darn hot, cool vest or no cool vest, :lol:

Till then we are going to have hot or rain, I'll take the rain. :wink:

Hot? It was only 48C in the shade today as I was crawling over an uplift here in the desert. :shock: Came across a couple of local boys set up in an exposed observation post, not in the shade. They were having a good ol' time considering! Even refused my offer of cold water out of the fridge. I'll take the heat over the rain anytime, I've had hypothermia before and it is not fun.

Still, its got to be better than riding here! :D I'll be a watching as this develops!

Cheers,

Eric

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Kuwait wasn't much different temp wise. Lots of fluids my man. Sitting out a 15 minuete rain storm just aint that tough cloud cover and it's cool. But you won't freeze :lol:

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well they say they are going to play nice :lol:
Thailand tags Bt1.6 billion for developing 3 customs checkpoints with Malaysia
SONGKHLA, June 6 (TNA) – Thailand has allocated Bt1.6 billion for development of three Malaysian border checkpoints intending to facilitate more cross-border trade between the two countries, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said on Saturday.

After meeting with Malaysia’s Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Nazri Abdul Aziz at Sadao in Songkhla province that renovations at the Sadao checkpoint would cost Bt1 billion, plus Bt3 million each for the border checkpoint in Narathiwat province and a second checkpoint in Songkhla.

Development on the Thai-Malaysian border is expected to be completed within three years and upon completion the two countries will further relax entry regulations and border trade in order to encourage more trade at the border, said Mr. Thaworn.

The meeting was held as Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is ready to pay a one-day official visit to Malaysia and talk with his Malaysian counterpart Najib Razak next Monday. (TNA)
General News : Last Update : 17:06:21 6 June 2009 (GMT+7:00)

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thats intersting is the waht thye mean that Malayasi is easier to get along with, they just simply try harder to do things right :lol: