Yamaha Virago XV 750

Nov 7, 2007
Franz wrote: NO, no paint on the carbs !!!!
Actually thats what i thought...just wanted to make sure that i had the right understanding...the mechanic already had the carbs inside all checked...even had the magnifying glass for that :geek1: . just the outside hasn't been polished. But i will have that done too...
happy trails,

mbox

Nov 7, 2007
Franz wrote: NO, no paint on the carbs !!!!
Tell the mechanic to clean both carbs really carefully on both the outside AND the inside with petrol, compressed air and cottonbuds !!
Tasks: check if the floats press on the needle in the right position and close off the petrol flow into the carb bowls. Check the closing needles for wear. Check all jets and clean them with compressed air only. Very important to have the pilot jets cleaned, both for petrol and airflow. Check that the idle mixture srews are clean and set to the right 'turns out'. Should do this according to repair manual settings. Further on if the carbs are flatbed, need to check for wear on the slides, cracks on the diaphragms and that all seals and O-rings are ok. Needles should be set at the right recommended position. Choke valve should be clean and show no wear. Intake scoops from Carbs to cylinder head should be absolutely tight and not allow additional air to be sucked into the engine. Synchronisation is an absolute must. If you don't have any settings, just type the carb make and type into Google and some sites with forums will come up where you are provided with information on how to do. I did that with my Mikuni BST40 on the DR650 recently although mine is now fitted with Supertrapp exhaust, K&N filter and DYNOJET stage 2 kit. Be aware that your jets are not meesed up and original size, need to look at them through magnifying glass. Cheers & happy working, Franz

Franz, thanks for this but i would actually need this in Thai to explain to my mechanic. Anyone able to give some brief info in thai writing on cleaning the Carb and polish it outside?
Thanks,

mbox

Nov 2, 2008
Nice bike by the way, my first and really only street bike was the same machine. Front fender isn't stock, but that just may be because it was a Japanese model.

Franz is correct, those carbs are well built, simple, but only preform well in the right hands. A dozen years after I sold mine, the new owner had polished the carbs with nothing more than felt tip in a Dermal tool with a buffing compound. The results looked great.

Shaft drives can be fun, hope the bearings and seals are reasonable like they were 19 years ago.

Nov 7, 2007
Hi there,

Thanks for the feedbacks. Looking forward to be on the road with it soon too :happy1: ...but somehow the time to finish keeps stretching. It's kind of normal here though :think: . Anyways here some pics of today .Still the Carb to be polished(at least i tried to get it to understand to Mr. Oor (mechanic))-some parts we are waiting for and quite a bit of work ahead .

4533673487_f384a23a28.jpg

4533667027_d04db5bae6.jpg

4534303862_8f26a8f52b.jpg

4534293780_7ab6d4c9ae.jpg

4534296350_1cbac8428d.jpg

happy trails,

mbox

Nov 7, 2007
Here some pics of my soon finishing Virago Xv750 . As you can see it has the new paint the Motor is not black anymore...there is a new exhaust ( custom-handmade) lot of things has been done that aren't visible but were rather technical(new clutch, new generator stator, new pulse generator, new wiring ...) . There are still some cosmetic parts to be fitted/exchanged but they will be sourced over time from secondhand bikes. Looking forward to be on the road soon.

mbox

Ps: there are 12 pics below so it may take a little to load

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
And a nice one she was tranferred into..............
I like the colour and also the custom made muffler !!
Must have a throaty sound, good, so all dogs, chicken, Waves and kids can hear & run :mrgreen: .
So when's the first ride up to CNX ?? BTW where's the plate ???? rgds, FR

Nov 7, 2007
Franz wrote: And a nice one she was tranferred into..............
I like the colour and also the custom made muffler !!
Must have a throaty sound, good, so all dogs, chicken, Waves and kids can hear & run :mrgreen: .
So when's the first ride up to CNX ?? BTW where's the plate ???? rgds, FR
Thanks Franz & David , I am very happy to have it close to finish...the last 3 spareparts just arrived from the US and shall be installed by tomorrow ( generator stator, pulse generator & startergear)...although the startergear looked a bit different as i remembered it , but the mechanic said it looks right . So hopefully i am wrong and the mechanic right. The exhaust sounds really nice now it was well made with the exception of the paint itself. I asked for a heat resistant color repaint , although not sure if maybe something else such as powdercoating could be better.

I am sure a longer trip shall come and if that comes it will be to CNX, but first i would like to make some shorter rides to see if all is well ...

actually i sent this link as possible daytrip to Tonybkk (saddle sore trip 1610km): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sawan+Withi+64&daddr=Route+122+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:Route+118+to:Route+118+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:Route+12+to:Route+12+to:Thanon+Khotchaseni%2FRoute+21+to:Route+225+to:Route+225+to:phahon+Yothin%2FRoute+1+to:Sawanvitee+to:Sawanvitee%2FRoute+3005+to:15.674965,100.083804&hl=en&geocode=FXsc7wAdeBn3BQ%3BFY4i7wAd6sb2BQ%3BFbqR8AAdGrf1BQ%3BFUrO-gAdrGnuBQ%3BFcIDFgEdMBntBQ%3BFaytHQEdel31BQ%3BFYBEIQEdeq70BQ%3BFdQtJQEdUuHzBQ%3BFSj_JwEdWHjyBQ%3BFQRAMwEdELrzBQ%3BFWJHKAEdJkDuBQ%3BFcaWHwEdatrnBQ%3BFfruEAEdFsvrBQ%3BFSYsAgEd1AjrBQ%3BFdK-_wAdvhUIBg%3BFQJ58gAdsn4FBg%3BFSy58QAd2Or_BQ%3BFQlW7wAd2u33BQ%3BFR1k7wAdzcL3BQ%3BFchl7wAdoo33BQ%3BFUFF7wAdXHL3BQ%3B&mra=mi&mrcr=16&mrsp=21&sz=14&via=5,6,7,9&sll=15.678246,100.108795&sspn=0.039996,0.077162&ie=UTF8&ll=18.020528,100.349121&spn=5.055076,9.876709&z=7&dirflg=d

happy trails,

mbox

Nov 7, 2007
Franz, about the plate...i lost it while doing a test ride. I reported it lost to Police already and will drive on the Police Statement around . A new Plate has been applied for and i shall have it already but it was a "wish-plate" so it may take a little longer...

mbox

Nov 7, 2007
Captain_Slash wrote: You certainly made a good job of it as it looks great
Thanks colin, it feels great too, but it is an 25 year old Lady and i assume there will always be bits and pieces to be exchange or fixed...but the basics are fine ( me thinks).

Not sure what i must think of the custom made exhaust ...i like the looks and the sound is crazy but also quite loud...i ride on trips longer than 30km's with earplugs, and when i pass on parked Cars their alarm would go off :shock:

happy trails,

mbox