10 Day 1,600 Kms Ride Thru The Chin State In Western Burma

Dec 23, 2007
Burma is truly the last frontier for avid bike riders, I am not referring to those that take 500 ,800,1,200 cc bikes, but those willing to get down and dirty on dirt/mud roads through some amazing scenery, Very friendly people, at times u feel a s if u have stepped thru a portal and ur back in the early 1900.
Parts of the chin area only got electricity 2 years ago!! and many villages relied on solar power or candles at night.
Highlight of the trip was spending a day riding on single tracks up and down valleys to visit remote villages where the last of the remaining Tattooed chin ladies reside. AS face tattooing was outlawed in the late 60's, these women are the last you will see.

Tattooed%20Chin%20Lady.wm_zpsew8axeny.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/HshU5Fes4aT2

Bikes easily rented thru Zach at Mandalay Motorbike Rental and Tours Although I rented a small 125 Chinese honda dream copy, I do NOT recommend it, Rent his 125 dirt bike as my companion did and truly enjoy the trip, even forget the 250,to much power , the 125 is perfect

One view of the route down to the river ad back up (this was repeated many many times)
down%20tothe%20riverthan%20up%20again%20WM_zps2blj04pp.jpg

Burma the last frontier for SE Asia

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Looks amazing stuff alright.
You're welcome to hit us with some more photos if you want to.

How much did the bike cost you?
Do you reckon your overall costs are similar to Thailand or significantly higher / lower?

Dec 23, 2007
Am gong thru 12 gigs of photos,will post more later
Rented the bike from Zach
For what you get accommodations are overpriced but..... average double room in gh with shared toiled in all of Burma 17,000-30,000 Kyat, hotel with air con/tv/toilet in room $25-30, Least i paid was 5,000 kyat ( 1,280 kyat/$) most was $75
food cheaper, gas cheaper, travel expenses cheaper
except for the 4 tourist spots ( Yangon,Mandalay,Bagan, Inle lake) you will find NO western conveniences.
reminds me of traveling in se asia in the late 70's

Reactions: Oddvar and DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Am gong thru 12 gigs of photos,will post more later
Rented the bike from Zach
For what you get accommodations are overpriced but..... average double room in gh with shared toiled in all of Burma 17,000-30,000 Kyat, hotel with air con/tv/toilet in room $25-30, Least i paid was 5,000 kyat ( 1,280 kyat/$) most was $75
food cheaper, gas cheaper, travel expenses cheaper
except for the 4 tourist spots ( Yangon,Mandalay,Bagan, Inle lake) you will find NO western conveniences.
reminds me of traveling in se asia in the late 70's

12 Gig of photos. Wow. That's quite a collection. Well done.
Interesting on the costs of food, gas, travel being cheaper - I'd misunderstood that it was all more expensive.
Whatever you've had a great adventure & an awesome experience.
I look forward to a few piccies