2012 Honda CRF250L

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
A quote from yesterdays Bkk post
"Most importantly, fans of Honda's big bikes will not be disappointed with our Big Wing stores, authorised centre and serviced centre," said Mr Kato.

Honda's big bike business will be launched in April to meet the increasing demand of potential users in the category.

The first Big Wing store will open in Bangkok with others to follow nationwide.

Jun 13, 2010
Every honda dealer sells the CBR here in Chiang Mai so I bet they will sell the CRF also.

From my understanding the big bikes shops will sell the bigger models, good to see other options in the big bike range anyway.

Jun 13, 2010
Here is a quote from one of the forum member from CBR250.net :

"I shopped for appliances last year. According to the online forums, every appliance ever made is a complete piece of crap. If I found some that had ANY positive reviews, I decided they must be pretty good."

Theres a lot of good review on the CBR250, I myself know few owners that are really happy with the bike so far.

Does these posts means the quality of the CBR is crap ? Anyone here that own a CBR 250 can talk about the overall quality ?

Again you get what you paid for and I dont think that Kawasaki makes bike more expensive for no good reasons, and I personnaly enjoyed the Ninja 250 more than the CBR when I tried both, I didnt realy enjoyed the stock D-Tracker tho because of the stupid restrictions but the bike feeled solid and well designed.

Wait and see.....

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
At first view it looks like the CBR has lots of problems, from a rattling fairing to a bad clutch, from bad brakes to vibrations and so on. But if you read the whole thread you can tell that most problems are either easy to fix or happened because of inexperienced riders. Lots of beginners bought the bike and are ready to join others in their complaints.
One guy who posted videos about his bike cutting out all the time did a total of 500km! Maybe his ECU is not adjusted right; the fried clutch happened because the beginner let the clutch slip eccessively. Another rider complains about a dirty air filter. A broken clutch cable - yes, it's a thing that should be replaced under warranty. Maybe it was installed wrong or had a material defect and escaped quality control. Hondas are great bikes but not perfect!
They sold lots of them and the few who complain are a small percentage. I would be surprised if there would be a problem that 80% of the owners experience.
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure there are lots of CBR owners who are out there riding without having any of the problems these guys have!

bung

Feb 6, 2006
Video of the Japanese show. Check it at 2:26. the blinged up version has dual exhausts.

bung

Feb 6, 2006
If you google "Ninja 250 problems" you will see plenty of forums with people talking about similar things. That is what people talk about on forums, looking for answers to problems, real or not. You should check out the Triumph forum i am on to see what problems people are having......

For example: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Captain Slash, The CRF could be Your Next Ride? Would be good for You to compare it with your KLX and once You have done Similar Miles then We would have a Real Comparison? I will get One and Try it as soon as they are released and if it goes as good as the KLX then I will get a couple so Customers have a choice? They certainly look the Part and as You say, "they are a Honda"!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Yep, I'd say Hondas are the best bikes for the money - of course more expensive brands may have less things go wrong but therefore you pay more.

That said I've noticed that overall quality has gone down a bit. Things like a broken lightbulb, a rattling fairing, an uncomfortable seat, a not-so-perfect FI, a notchy transmision, less chrome pieces with lower quality chrome or fast aging plastic pieces that loose their color show that Honda is trying to save money by shopping around for cheaper parts.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I bet that when the CBR 150 came out there were as many little faults with it as with the 250 now...

But since you mentioned the 150, you're right, it's a brilliant little motor! I had two Repsol CBRs and the little 150cc mill was quite impressive. Around 16 hp, redline at 12,000 rpm, it was a great value for around 65,000 THB.

I've always wondered why Honda didn't do anything else with it; not everybody wants a sport bike. An enduro with 150cc would have been the perfect replacement for the 2-stroke MTX 125.

As far as I understand the 2012 PCX scooter will be 150cc but is not using the CBR engine.

Jun 13, 2010
I'm more interested in a 250 myself but would be a smart move to release a CRF 150 for the Thai market IMO seeing the CBR 150 sells much more here than the 250.

Here is what I'm thinking about the reliability of the 250 engine, it seems they sold a lot of these bike in many countries (Thailand inculded) and from what I see on the forums its not all white or black, a lot of the buyers of this bike were inexperienced riders (even a lot of first timers) and you still get what you paid for, cheaper bike will always mean that the parts are cheaper to reduce the costs.

Would they warranty a bike they know that will fail ? I dont think so but they will definitly put cheaper tires, and cheaper plastics than on a KLX (I found the fairings on the Ninja 250 to be a lot better quality than on the CBR 250, stock tires on the Ninja were Dunlop when they were IRC on the CBR....).

The plus is the Honda service, easy to get a shop anywhere and quite cheap parts (at least on the Thai models).

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
It seems to be the common opinion that since the CBR is cheaper than the KLX it must be of less quality.

But one shouldn't forget that Honda has about two thirds of the Thai market while Kawasaki has only about 2 % or less.

That means that for every Kawasaki sold Honda will sell more than thirty.

This way the bean counters can calculate the profit differently, price the CBR/CRF way cheaper but make the same profit as Kawasaki.

It's different in the US, there the CBR/Ninja sell for about the same price. And everybody expects the ususal high Honda quality.

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;275364 wrote: It seems to be the common opinion that since the CBR is cheaper than the KLX it must be of less quality.

Yes, IMO the new CB'r' is a bit fragile.

You would be shocked to see how many blow up at the Moto3 races. Of course, those bikes are highly modded and running right at the edge, but still, considering the engines are rebuilt regularly I've been really surprised by how many can't survive a 10 lap race. The "real" CBR's are certainly a lot more durable than the new 250.

I have NEVER seen a Ninja 250R engine fail.

How many guys on that "other" forum have already had nightmares with their new CB'r's? Already a few have said they wish they'd spent a bit more for a Ninja 250R.

One of the things I've learned over the years is never to buy a bike in its first year. That year is needed to sort out the inevitable bugs...

Honda has always been synonymous with quality. Seems to me that
they needs to sort some things out on the new CB'r' if they want to keep that reputation.

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
Tony,
I have been near maxing out my engine on the highways for 10000 km's. No worries so far.
Hope all is well,
JB

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;275368 wrote: ...those bikes are highly modded and running right at the edge, but still, considering the engines are rebuilt regularly...

Maybe the reason for the blow-ups has something to do with the modding and rebuilding?

Honda has been building quality bikes for decades, I just can't believe they'd release a global model that has serious weaknesses.

Sure, some Honda engines had their share of troubles, but none was a failure right from the start.

I believe that since this bike has enjoyed a tremendous sales success there is a bigger than ususal share of inexperienced owners who complain about non-issues.

The higher the monkey climbs, the more he shows his tail!

bung

Feb 6, 2006
TonyBKK;275368 wrote: Yes, IMO the new CB'r' is a bit fragile.

You would be shocked to see how many blow up at the Moto3 races. Of course, those bikes are highly modded and running right at the edge, but still, considering the engines are rebuilt regularly I've been really surprised by how many can't survive a 10 lap race. The "real" CBR's are certainly a lot more durable than the new 250.

I have NEVER seen a Ninja 250R engine fail.

How many guys on that "other" forum have already had nightmares with their new CB'r's? Already a few have said they wish they'd spent a bit more for a Ninja 250R.

One of the things I've learned over the years is never to buy a bike in its first year. That year is needed to sort out the inevitable bugs...

Honda has always been synonymous with quality. Seems to me that
they needs to sort some things out on the new CB'r' if they want to keep that reputation.

Seeing how the CBR 250 has been out for a year it would appear then that they will have sorted any problems out already then? At least by the time it comes out in the CRF 250L?

And having them blow up racing? Well it seems you answered your own question there "Of course, those bikes are highly modded and running right at the edge".....I am pretty sure I could modify a Ningette and blow it up.

I was talking to someone who races Moto 3 and there is a lot of development going into modifying the CBR. Apparently any modified part used has to be developed, made in and available off the shelf in Thailand, no wonder they are failing.....Still it would be good news for CRF owners having performance parts used in Moto3 CBR's available to them off the shelf in Thailand....The ones that have been proven to work that is...

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
"I am pretty sure I could modify a Ninjette and blow it up." - Had a good laugh at that one! :lol-sign:

I bought a Honda Phantom, one year old, 5,000 km on the clock, rode it home, 500 km, open throttle all the way. Next day I noticed the cylinder head gasket was blown! Cost me 750 baht to fix.

Had a CBR 150 with about 20,000 km, the cam chain tensioner acted up, at Honda they took it out, cleaned it, told me it'll work fine. Sold the bike 1,000 km later. Met the owner later who told me he had to replace the cam chain tensioner. Cost him under 1,000 baht.

I'm sure this has happened to at least ten other people after thousands of bikes sold and running fine.

Now if I'd post these problems in a forum and nine other owners join in it'll look like these bikes have reliability issues.

That's what's happening at CBR.com.

Oh, and I had a Wave with a broken head light bulb when the bike was only six months old and after they replaced it, the fairing rattled. And sometimes it would cut out when I opened the throttle too abruptly. Switched to SHELL, that took care of it. :happy2:

Sep 30, 2011
so seems nobody really knows when or how much on this bike (asked at dealers in phuket town and was told march sometime maby and 120-140k)
surely a release date is set a while in advance?

Nov 7, 2007
sydneycraig;276293 wrote: so seems nobody really knows when or how much on this bike (asked at dealers in phuket town and was told march sometime maby and 120-140k)
surely a release date is set a while in advance?
FWIW Honda Thailand officially announced that this bike would come in March.

They didn't say anything about price though.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I can't see this bike being close to 140K since the CBR is cheaper.

In fact, there is no reason why it should be more expensive than the ABS-equipped CBR.

Upside down forks make up the difference for less plastic and a cheaper speedo...

Jul 18, 2009
Looks pretty good to me.Putting the cart before the horse I hope that its relatively easy to have a luggage rack fitted to the rear.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Great video - it looks competent on the street and in the dirt!

Simple digital instruments, a bit flimsy-looking front disc but at least upside-down forks.

Actually it shouldn't be more expensive than the non-ABS CBR!

Is there anything the KLX has or does that this bike don't?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Different frame, better forks, better suspension, aluminum swingarm - the CRFL has less parts in common with the CBR than I realized...

zona

Dec 25, 2009
Having talked to a Honda guy at the Bangkok Motorbike show at Central World; his words on price was "not more than 130K".