5Times REJECTED / Thai-Laos Border

Jul 26, 2006
Today I was rejected in Tha Li & Nong Khai of Loas part 2times. I am sad. I will try tomorrow again.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Marco
If you take a look at
https://www.gt-rider.com/crossingborders.html
you will see
4. Nam Hueng / Tha Li. Entering Laos at the new Nam Hueng crossing is probably not possible just on arrival. Permits have to be issued from the district office several kms inside Laos. It is however no trouble to exit here.
See the GT Rider message board for more info & photos on this crossing.

Your best bet is to try Bun Kan / Pakxan, downstream from Nong Khai.
But, does your bike have a plate. If not, then "no can go."

Jul 26, 2006
2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++
3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++
4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L) ++++ Reject on 30/04 +++++

Thanks for your advise. Today , I tried Border crossing at Bung Kan again. But Thai Head Customer rejected my border crossing. Because my motocycle is not registered by my name. My motocycle is registered by my thai friend. Anyway I am in Nakon Phanom now. Tomorrow I will try here again. If not possible, I will go to Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L) . Please advise again!!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Marco777
Does not sound or look very good at all.
I think you should have done a bit more research first.

Take a look at

1. Buying a Local Bike
https://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html#BUYINGABIKE
It is possible to take a vehicle out of the country, if it does not belong to you, but is in the name of another person. To do this you must have permission from the vehicle owner to export it. There is a standard form you can use for this. Click here to see what it looks like.
Under this system then you can buy a motorcycle in another person's name still ride it out "overseas." To do this, you must have signed copies of the real owner's valid / current (not expired) Thai ID card and Thai house registration.
This normally works, however it is open to the duty Customs officer's personal discretion; and if you have a communication problem or a personality clash (I have good experience of this) it might not go down so well. For foreign riders with Thai registered bikes this is a not uncommon problem on the border. One of the Customs concern is that the motorcycle may be stolen, or may not be returned. So, be patient, tolerant and understanding of the system.
Don't believe the shop, where you buy the bike, that you only need a receipt & / or a photocopy of the bike registration. You won't get out of the country, and it is no fun riding all the way to the border, to discover that you've wasted your time and money & probably stuffed up your holiday.

2. Crossing Borders - Crossing With a Bike
https://www.gt-rider.com/crossingborders.html
2. Bike: you need to prove it's "real", not stolen & have valid docs to support this = proof of ownership, the bike licence / registration, valid insurance. If you can't produce these then you're in for a tough time trying to get out of Thailand!
If the bike is not in your name or rented, then you need permission from the owner to legally export the bike. Click here for info on taking a bike out that is not registered in your name. Note that this works 99% of the time, but that remaining 1% is hard to take if you get caught short. You've been warned!

So to sum it up - DON'T like your chances. Get permission from the owner to take the bike out of the country. (And, if it does not have a number plate on it, you need one - get it legal & plated.)

Jul 26, 2006
2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++
3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++
4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L) ++++ Reject on 30/04 +++++

5. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L) ***** I cann't try. Because today is holiday ****
6. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L) **** Reject on 01/05 *****

Thanks your advise. This is Khon ken. I know what you mean. I had all legal documents by your site. (proof of ownership, the bike licence / registration, valid insurance) (permission from the vehicle owner to export)

So I had traveled in Los last year (From Chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L) -> China khong to Chong Mek (T) / Vang Tao, Pakse (L) )

But this time Head customer & Head Police don't recognize my prepared proof of ownership. They don't approve authenticity of documenet (the real owner's valid / current (not expired) Thai ID card and Thai house registration.)

Jul 26, 2006
I can Thai Language. I can talk in Thai Language with Thai public service personnel.

2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++ I could pass Thai Border. But Laos police don't put the blocks on my bike

3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) ++++ Reject on 29/04 +++++ Thai officer said "Loas side close thai registred bike***

4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L) ++++ Reject on 30/04 +++++ Thai Head officer said "We can't approve your documents" -> But I had all leagl documents like your advise.

5. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L) ******** Reject on 01/05 ***** Thai head police said "We can't approve your documents & Laos side is blocked traveler with bike.

6. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L) ***** I cann't try. Because today is holiday *** Some officer recommend to go Mukdahan.

I will change my bike's ownership from my friend to myself in chiang mai. I will return chiang mai tomorrow. I AM SAD A LOT.

In result Laos Border of is closed traveler with THAI REGISTERED BIKE.. Thai officer advise me in Thai Language. And many Thai officer don't agree owner permission parper. But I have experenced, that is .