ABS kill switch for Versys

Jul 9, 2009
I was wondering if anyone could give advice on putting an ABS bypass into the Versys. I am finding that the ABS can be downright scary when on dirt or other loose surfaces. I know I have seen it done but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the process or on long term reliability of such a system.

I am not the most overly technical person so the more detailed the advice the better. Also if anyone knows where to get a handlebar mounted water proof switch in Chaing Mai that would also be very useful information for me.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 21, 2010
Well if you read ur manual you see that there is a fuse for the ABS so from there it would be easy to make a switch.
But I would only do that if you are planning serious off-road riding with the Versys (which again I would not do).

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
lotuseater;277306 wrote: I was wondering if anyone could give advice on putting an ABS bypass into the Versys. I am finding that the ABS can be downright scary when on dirt or other loose surfaces. I know I have seen it done but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the process or on long term reliability of such a system.

I am not the most overly technical person so the more detailed the advice the better. Also if anyone knows where to get a handlebar mounted water proof switch in Chaing Mai that would also be very useful information for me.

Thanks in advance.
Fatlad did a good write up with pictures showing how he wired an ABS kill switch on his Versys. You can see it here: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/34128-Kawasaki-Versys-is-here/page13?p=269400&viewfull=1#post269400

Dec 27, 2007
I've tried a few ABS mods on the Versys and think I've found the one that works the best for me-

First I pulled the fuse which turns off the ABS. Simple, effective, but I personally am more comfortable with ABS on at the front, even when off pavement.

It's the ABS on the rear wheel that I find intrusive and sometimes a bit dangerous when your trying to trail brake going down a steep hill and the ABS simply won't allow you to lock up the rear wheel.

My fix: I simply unplug the ABS sensor for the rear wheel. The ABS still functions normally for the front wheel (I've tested it), but with the sensor unplugged the ABS will not function for the rear wheel.

Ride On!

Tony :)

Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have located the ABS fuse and unplugged it to test. Works perfectly. Now I just have to find a handlebar mounted switch similar to the one Fatlad used and I will be able to route an easier to access solution to the handle bar.

I appreciate the input guys thanks a ton.

I guess it depends on what you classify as serious but I am not planning to do any serious off roading with the bike but what I do I already find that the ABS can be quite scary at times when you hit lose sand or mud on a downhill. I find that the ABS locks up on me far sooner than I feel that it should, perhaps I have an overly sensitive ABS? It has only gone off one time when I was on the road but when I am out in the dirt and mud it is frustratingly often.

Ryan.

Dec 27, 2007
lotuseater;277326 wrote: Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have located the ABS fuse and unplugged it to test. Works perfectly. Now I just have to find a handlebar mounted switch similar to the one Fatlad used and I will be able to route an easier to access solution to the handle bar.

I appreciate the input guys thanks a ton.

I guess it depends on what you classify as serious but I am not planning to do any serious off roading with the bike but what I do I already find that the ABS can be quite scary at times when you hit lose sand or mud on a downhill. I find that the ABS locks up on me far sooner than I feel that it should, perhaps I have an overly sensitive ABS? It has only gone off one time when I was on the road but when I am out in the dirt and mud it is frustratingly often.

Ryan.
"Over-sensitive" real wheel ABS is a complaint I hear a lot from Kawasaki 650 owners here in Thailand. Yet, ABS only engages when a wheel stops rotating, so it's unlikely that it's a defect in the system, and more likely a symptom of improperly adjusted suspension or overinflated tires that cause the rear wheel to lock sooner than one expects it to. Don't forget that if you're already hard on the front brake that you have little to no weight and traction at the rear.