Accommodation on Mae Hong Son Loop in February

John J

Dec 24, 2014
Hi All,

I am planning a trip, with a friend, to Chiang Mai from Feb. 11th to 25th this year. We plan to hire some bikes and do the Mae Hong Son loop and then head up towards the border after that, time permitting.

We have our GT Rider Mae Hong Son map and can't wait to check out any many of the places on this as we can.

I have looked at the links on the forum for accommodation, which have been great. You really do have a great website and forum here.

What I am wondering is once out of Chiang Mai do we need to book the accommodation ahead of time or are we going to be able to ride into a town and find reasonable accommodation for the night, this time of year?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this.

Cheers

John

rcm273

Nov 3, 2013
Hat Yai, TH
That's a question .. Is your first visit to Thailand ?

I'm not a northern person and I did the loop many many years ago, but I wll give you my angle.

February is tourist season, so in places like Pai, you would be advised to. You will make CM to Pai in one day, then explore out of Pai for a day or two.

If you don't know where you are going to end up, then how can you book ahead of time, but if you see something nice then make a target.

There are plenty of (cheap) local style roadside motels in Thailand, so don't ever be scared. They may not all be perfect, but will be good for a story on your return.

John J

Dec 24, 2014
Thanks Rcm273 and David for your replies.

That is great news and will allow for more of an adventure.

I will be sure to let you know how we get on.

Cheers

John J

Conemeister

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2014
John J wrote:

Hi All, I am planning a trip, with a friend, to Chiang Mai from Feb. 11th to 25th this year. We plan to hire some bikes and do the Mae Hong Son loop and then head up towards the border after that, time permitting. We have our GT Rider Mae Hong Son map and can’t wait to check out any many of the places on this as we can. I have looked at the links on the forum for accommodation, which have been great. You really do have a great website and forum here. What I am wondering is once out of Chiang Mai do we need to book the accommodation ahead of time or are we going to be able to ride into a town and find reasonable accommodation for the night, this time of year? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this. Cheers John
Hi John.....did this journey last year in March/April...CM- Mae Sariang- MHS-Pai and on to the GT loop. Everything by seat of the pants ...no bookings. Heaps of beds in Pai and at a high price for Feb. In MHS there are several hotels near The Crossroads Bar and they have lockup carparking. If you do Mae Sariang stay down near the river....turn right at the museum and follow the road to the river. Enjoy the 1864 curves between Pai and MHS. Check  out my write up if you need info.
Cheers