Advice Needed About Riding A Bike With Tube Tires

Cutter

Oct 23, 2016
Pattaya
HI, I'm looking to buy a 2018 Tiger 800 XCA and the only thing holding me back is the tubed tires.
How available is it to get a tubed tire repaired if I get a flat on the road?
Can the small bike shop repair a tubed tire for a bigbike?
Or do you all carry a spare tube and spoons with you in case you get a flat?

I'm currently on an MT09 and seem to get at least one flat per trip. An easy fix with a plug to get me to a proper tire shop. But with a tubed tire, I'm not looking forward to the chance that I'll get a flat with a tubed tire and then the pain in the butt having to take the tire off and changing the tube on the side of the road.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Alamo

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I get more minor punctures on my road bikes. Probably because the tires are thinner than the tires I use on on AT and CRF.
I always carry tire irons and spares tubes. With a centre stand it is quick to change a tube. Luckily flats are rare.

May 5, 2012
Practice when you get the new bike, still a PITA but you will be surprised how easily and quickly it can be done once you have done it a few times, fronts generally easier than rear for obvious reasons, have a look on youtube also for tips, tricks on changing tires, swapping tubes etc, carry a spare tube (front as it can also be used in the rear in a pinch) and tire spoons etc, or you could go the tubeless route but not sure on availability of tubeless systems in Thailand.

Most small shops I think would also be able to do it but would still carry a spare and tools in case your caught out in the middle of nowhere.

Cutter

Oct 23, 2016
Pattaya
Thanks guys. I think I will get the xca and also carry spoons and spare tubes. I've changed many tires and tubes on my dirt bike back in the day so not too bad to do if need be.
But my first choice would be to just go one of the many little motorcycle repair shops everywhere, if they are able to do.
I also checked converting tube to tubeless and it is 6000 baht. There's still a small risk of a spoke puncturing or leakage so I think I would rather stick with tubes.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Thanks guys. I think I will get the xca and also carry spoons and spare tubes. I've changed many tires and tubes on my dirt bike back in the day so not too bad to do if need be.
But my first choice would be to just go one of the many little motorcycle repair shops everywhere, if they are able to do.
I also checked converting tube to tubeless and it is 6000 baht. There's still a small risk of a spoke puncturing or leakage so I think I would rather stick with tubes.
I am in Chiang Mai and have put the Front wheel off My Ducati Desert Sled into get a Tubeless Conversion as We speak. I had both Wheels done at CMS with Outex when I first got the bike. Rear has been perfect since! Front has been done 3 times and failed each time. I rode for the last couple of years with a Tube but that was flat last week so I thought bugger I will try again so I have now taken it to MX-Moto Shop on the 118 directly opposite the Big Honda Training center! This Guy from all reports is the best at doing it. My Friend Patrick has put 100.000 kms on His Africa Twin since the conversion and no problems He said! So fingers crossed!

Cutter

Oct 23, 2016
Pattaya
I am in Chiang Mai and have put the Front wheel off My Ducati Desert Sled into get a Tubeless Conversion as We speak. I had both Wheels done at CMS with Outex when I first got the bike. Rear has been perfect since! Front has been done 3 times and failed each time. I rode for the last couple of years with a Tube but that was flat last week so I thought bugger I will try again so I have now taken it to MX-Moto Shop on the 118 directly opposite the Big Honda Training center! This Guy from all reports is the best at doing it. My Friend Patrick has put 100.000 kms on His Africa Twin since the conversion and no problems He said! So fingers crossed!

Thanks Ian, how much fir the conversion to tubeless?

Sep 13, 2010
I would have thought tubed tyres make more sense than tubeless in Asia as there are literally thousands of small outlets who can repair them. This is the main reason Enfield use tubes on their bikes.

Sep 19, 2006
I would have thought tubed tyres make more sense than tubeless in Asia as there are literally thousands of small outlets who can repair them. This is the main reason Enfield use tubes on their bikes.
I have left both My 250 with their original Tube wheels which are relatively easy to repair and as You say lots of small places can fix them. There are multiple problems that I see with Big Motorcycles which is why in My opinion they should all be Tubeless and indeed We can see that as the new models are released Tubes will soon be a thing of the past, Thank God!
1, On Heavy Bikes if You don't have a centre stand it is very awkward to support the bike to get the wheel off!
2, Most of these New Big Bikes all have unusual and different sized Axle Bolts and Axle Nuts so if You don't carry the correct socket Yourself that can be a Problem?
3, Much easier to Plug a hole and go again compare to removing the Wheel, Tube and repairing it! Plus carrying all the required Tools!
That's just My opinion anyway?

Cutter

Oct 23, 2016
Pattaya
I agree with Ian and feel it's easier with tubeless than carrying tubes, spoons, axle nut, socket.
Good to hear that even the small little moped shops can fix. I'm just concerned that they don't have experience with bigbike tire so they will be using screwdrivers and scratching up the rim to change tube.
The 2010 Tiger XCA actually went tubeless.
2000 is ok price to change to tubeless. In Pattaya, JP Rider wants 6000 to change.

Sep 19, 2006
I agree with Ian and feel it's easier with tubeless than carrying tubes, spoons, axle nut, socket.
Good to hear that even the small little moped shops can fix. I'm just concerned that they don't have experience with bigbike tire so they will be using screwdrivers and scratching up the rim to change tube.
The 2010 Tiger XCA actually went tubeless.
2000 is ok price to change to tubeless. In Pattaya, JP Rider wants 6000 to change.
If You get up here for a Ride sometime I can take You there and let Him do Your Bike? It takes 2 or 3 Days though as they have to let whatever it is He uses set? So grab a rental for a few days do some exploring locally while Your Bike gets done?

bradmeister

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 7, 2017
Bangkok
www.bdsperformance.co.th
Dear Cutter,

Most of our customers have been converting all they're on road\off road adventure Bikes to KINEO or Kineo style Wheels. They seem to be functional and easily tuenable to convert all Tubed tires of bike adventure bikes to Tubeless.

I think I have a picture.

Best of Luck!
Honda-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-Kineo-Spoked-Wheels-Gold-Titanium-Silver-Red (1).jpg

Reactions: Alamo and Deano747
Sep 13, 2010
I have left both My 250 with their original Tube wheels which are relatively easy to repair and as You say lots of small places can fix them. There are multiple problems that I see with Big Motorcycles which is why in My opinion they should all be Tubeless and indeed We can see that as the new models are released Tubes will soon be a thing of the past, Thank God!
1, On Heavy Bikes if You don't have a centre stand it is very awkward to support the bike to get the wheel off!
2, Most of these New Big Bikes all have unusual and different sized Axle Bolts and Axle Nuts so if You don't carry the correct socket Yourself that can be a Problem?
3, Much easier to Plug a hole and go again compare to removing the Wheel, Tube and repairing it! Plus carrying all the required Tools!
That's just My opinion anyway?

Fair points, but I don't think its applicable to the RE650s, because their tyres are not that wide, the wheel nuts are not that big (and the bike has the required tools included) and its much easier watching someone fix your tube while supping on a cold drink, than plugging a tyre yourself!

As for other bikes, I cannot comment (not that it usually stops me from commenting).

• Haha
Reactions: Alamo and DavidFL
Sep 19, 2006
Fair points, but I don't think its applicable to the RE650s, because their tyres are not that wide, the wheel nuts are not that big (and the bike has the required tools included) and its much easier watching someone fix your tube while supping on a cold drink, than plugging a tyre yourself!

As for other bikes, I cannot comment (not that it usually stops me from commenting).
The Guy was doing a RE650 when I was there once. What You say is quite right but in some of the more remote areas I have been there is no Bike shop to repair the Tube? Another bonus is a Tubeless Puncture normally goes down slowly where a Tube Tire can go flat instantly once punctured?

Reactions: Marmite

Nigelcnx

Sep 23, 2019
Standard Tiger spoked wheels(Oem).No idea what they use,went to BM Moto due to Ian’s comments and the fact that having no Center stand removing a wheel to fix road side on a big bike is not going to be easy up in the mountains.Will post pics when back home.Cheers

Reactions: DKT Dave