Advice On Touring North Thailand

obladida

Dec 31, 2018
Hi all,

As a new member I’m writing this post to get your advice about our upcoming trip to North-Thailand. We want to do a tour from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, a day later on to Phayao, the next day to Phrae and lastly back to Chiang Mai. As the distance per day is quite high - some days about 200 km - I am a bit worried if this would be too much. Especially if we would rent a scooter. We are experienced scooter drivers but not with a bigger bike.

Does anyone have experience with this route? Any advice if this is a doable itinerary?

Thanks also for your advice on which type of scooter or bike we should rent and where in Chiang Mai we could do that.

Many thanks!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
200 kms a day on 125 scooter is nothing. Average speed 66 km/h = 3 hours, average speed 50 km/h = 4 hours, average speed 40 km/h = 5 hours. 33 km/h = 6 hours. So I dont see any problem time wise. You could easily ride the double distance pr day.

As David mentiones, there are long straight highways on good parts of those stretches you mention and those are not very inspiring to ride. It will be more entertaining if you find other alternatives such as Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai R107 to Fang, then R109 to you reach R118 and then ip to CR.

What type of scooter/bike isnt that important. Just make sure brakes works, tires are not very worn, lights work as they should etc.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I think the MHS loop is a good start for anyone new to riding in North Thailand. Not possible to get lost. Multiple places to stop or stay for the night. Scooter repair shops all over the place.
And after completing the loop in 2-4 days most of your questions about riding in North Thailand will be answered.
Happy riding.

Reactions: Dodraugen

Oli

Dec 10, 2018
Hallo All,

I am planning to leave with a couple of friend in February 2019 to drive from Hobart to Helsinki and the North cape.
We are all clear so far till Malaysia - Thai boarder. My questions?

Does anybody know the new procedure to enter into Thailand from Malaysia? Tour guide, new paper work regulation, etc.?
and
which is the best place to enter into Thailand, less paperwork, hassle free entry and so on. We are having 3 bike two Oz registration and one German registration.

Any help advise and updates would be highly appreciated.

Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!!!

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
In 2016 Thailand introduced new rules for foreign vehicles entering and passing through the kingdom. A quite extensive permit and mandatory guides was neccesary for all foreign vehicles (except vehicles from Malaysia, Singapore and Laos which have bilateral agreements with Thailand)
However the enforcement of these new rules seem to have been quite accidental and from the last period of time it seems from many reports on different overland traveller forums that most travellers are now able to enter Thailand without permits and guides. So the enforcement of these new rules seem to have more relaxed indeed.

Theres one exception from this and that is if youre coming from Myanmar and crossing into Thailand at the Myawaddy - Mae Sot border. Those guys seem to stubbornly enforce the rules of mandatory permits and guides.

Many travellers also mention that they use their Carnet upon entering Thailand even though Thailand is not a Carnet demanding country - to easier being allowed to enter Thailand.
To have purchased insurance in advance seems also to be a positive factor for of being let into Thailand without having guides and permits.

For more information about this please have a look at this facebook group where a lot of information are shared. You can easily become a member there and ask questions and get the latest information about crossing into Thailand.

Thailand - New regulation affecting overland travellers on foreign vehicle Public Group | Facebook

Oli

Dec 10, 2018
In 2016 Thailand introduced new rules for foreign vehicles entering and passing through the kingdom. A quite extensive permit and mandatory guides was neccesary for all foreign vehicles (except vehicles from Malaysia, Singapore and Laos which have bilateral agreements with Thailand)
However the enforcement of these new rules seem to have been quite accidental and from the last period of time it seems from many reports on different overland traveller forums that most travellers are now able to enter Thailand without permits and guides. So the enforcement of these new rules seem to have more relaxed indeed.

Theres one exception from this and that is if youre coming from Myanmar and crossing into Thailand at the Myawaddy - Mae Sot border. Those guys seem to stubbornly enforce the rules of mandatory permits and guides.

Many travellers also mention that they use their Carnet upon entering Thailand even though Thailand is not a Carnet demanding country - to easier being allowed to enter Thailand.
To have purchased insurance in advance seems also to be a positive factor for of being let into Thailand without having guides and permits.

For more information about this please have a look at this facebook group where a lot of information are shared. You can easily become a member there and ask questions and get the latest information about crossing into Thailand.

Thailand - New regulation affecting overland travellers on foreign vehicle Public Group | Facebook
Thank you for the info!!!!!!!

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
I know someone else who is doing Hobart-Helsinki around the same time, Adr...?

Oli

Dec 10, 2018
Yes, I know on a BMW 1200 GS, sleeping next to right now, hah hah good one!!!!!!