aftermarket exhaust for small bikes?

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Just thumbed through a local bike magazine and saw some nicely done Waves, Finos and li'l Kawasakis. Lots of colorful bikes, lots of fantasy and decent work; some good ideas, too, like springs under the seat of a Fino.
I was surprised to see some Supertrapp and Cobra exhaust mufflers on some of these bikes, and wonder where they got them. Never seen any small mufflers by those companies before. Can't find 'em on their websites, only exhausts for big bikes.
Does anybody know where to get them, or more info like a catalog or something?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by Klaus

. . . nobody cares about the small guy . . . [:(]

Of course we do[:)] But what is a small bike? There are lots of Thai made exhausts for small bikes they are about 1500 Baht each.

afterright.jpg

Cobra only seem to make Harley look-a-like pipes. They won't fit small bikes. If you want to put Harlet look-a-like pipes on a Phantom well..... I'm sure they are available to you just need to keep looking in every Thai motorbike accesory shop until you find them. Better yet next time you see a bike with what you want on it , take a picture. Much easier to explain.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
That was the surprise when I saw the pix in the bike magazine - COBRA and Supertrapp exhausts for samll bikes! Next time you're in a amgazine store grab a mocyc magazine, they do amazing things with their Waves and Nouvos and Finos and Novas...
I know all the aftermarket mufflers available in the european and american markets, you're right, they way big (for BIG bikes) and come with big diameters. But there seem to be products for the asian (small) market, too.
Of course there are tel ## in the mag ads, but they probably don't speak english (haven't tried yet) rather ask here; also the info would be more reliable on a farang website . . .

irv327

Nov 23, 2006
The real problem is finding larger-than-stock jets once you've opened up the exhaust and intake. Most shops, I've been to over 30, don't know what a jet is let alone that there are different sizes. Finally, I stopped at a backyard tuner shop in Siray east of Phuket. They had made a ream from a broken-off piece of hacksaw blade. Simply use a bench grinder to make the blade into a point, similiar to a bee stinger. The ream also acts like a gauge; the farther the jet slides down the taper the greater the I Dia.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
I played with carb settings and jetting on big singles, that's where a real difference occurs if you change things. On these little low-compressed two valvers you can change a lot without needing to rejet. A Honda Wave wouldn't backfire or misfire if you'd run it without any kind of airfilter or exhaust. I rode my CBR 150 just with a header, after it was totally flooded in rainy season - no hick-ups, like nothing changed.
I just want to play around with the sound and looks a little...

irv327

Nov 23, 2006
no need to rejet?? What goes on with people in this part of the world? I must be imagining the backfires and the topend flatspot.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Like I said - on my 650 singles I had to rejet, on these li'l things here I don't, and the bikes run fine . . .

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
irv321, you're lucky that I'm one of the very few germans who have a sense of humor, or else I would personally improve YOUR jetting . . .
Germans INVENTED engines, but you wouldn't know that, being Irish, or from some country where they have to IMPORT vehicles . . . or do make any motorcycles where you're from, you ignorant little Irish piss-ant, you . . .

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

anon

Nov 14, 2006
So Al Jazari and Leonardo Da Vinci were German?... and not all irish are small or ignorant.

tiswas

Apr 2, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by irv327

Germans don't know anything about engines.

Good start to your posting on the Gt site, insulting one of our senior members....class pure class...we can do with out that thank you.

Anyway I would imagine the germanbike & car manufacturers would have something to say about that carefully thought out comment !!

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Well, I guess irv wasn't serious when he wrote that, either . . .

. . . and Anon, we're talking internal combustion engines here, like the ones they put in motorcycles, you dunce!

:) :) :)

anon

Nov 14, 2006
Actually klaus, you said " engine" , not "internal combustion engine." Anyway, it still wasn't invented by a German.

tiswas

Apr 2, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by anon

Actually klaus, you said " engine" , not "internal combustion engine." Anyway, it still wasn't invented by a German.

Anything USEFUL to contribute to this thread rather than petty nit picking comments [?][?] anon...irv...please join into the spirit of this site & you will learn alot from the likes of Klaus & all the guys who contribute.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Yes, I did say that, anon, but maybe you've noticed that this is a site about motorcycles, so we are not talking about parts that make a wing move or some such.
So who do you think invented the internal combustion engine?

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Anon, you may argue that certain people invented an internal combustion engine, but what if they were unreliable, inefficient and thus useless so that they wouldn't be worth being put into production? Putting a piston in a cylinder is a great idea, but worthless if it can't be applied to anything.
The point is to invent something that functions and can be used by people all over the world. And there I would say that Otto, Daimler, Benz, Diesel, Maybach and later Wankel were the men of their time - all germans.
If you want to split hairs, fine, go ahead.

jon

Nov 3, 2006
klaus:back to the original post about exhaust systems.When a thai mechanic saw my supertrap system he said something about it being original and not made in Thailand and infact he was the second person to say that to me. So I suppose there is someone making replicas here.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
If someone is making replicas here, they wouldn't be for big bikes because there's not a big market - people who spend over half a million baht on a bike order originals. But small bikes would definitely a market. Just where to get a hold of them things?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Germans INVENTED engines,

Klaus,

I believe it was a Swiss guy (OK well almost German, appologies to the Swiss) but he may have been from the French speaking part[:D]
Followed by a Frenchman, a Belgian and an Austrian (German after 1938?[}:)]then an American. The Germans improved upon the Swiss design. Otto did invent the diesel engine though and althought the French are responsible for the first powered vehicle (steam), Benz did come up with the first, of what we consider today to be a, car.

Just to set the record straight.

A brief outline of the history of the internal combustion engine includes the following highlights:

1680 - Dutch physicist, Christian Huygens designed (but never built) an internal combustion engine that was to be fueled with gunpowder.
1807 - Francois Isaac de Rivaz of Switzerland invented an internal combustion engine that used a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. Rivaz designed a car for his engine - the first internal combustion powered automobile. However, his was a very unsuccessful design.
1824 - English engineer, Samuel Brown adapted an old Newcomen steam engine to burn gas, and he used it to briefly power a vehicle up Shooter's Hill in London.
1858 - Belgian-born engineer, Jean Joseph Étienne Lenoir invented and patented (1860) a double-acting, electric spark-ignition internal combustion engine fueled by coal gas. In 1863, Lenoir attached an improved engine (using petroleum and a primitive carburetor) to a three-wheeled wagon that managed to complete an historic fifty-mile road trip. (See image at top)
1862 - Alphonse Beau de Rochas, a French civil engineer, patented but did not build a four-stroke engine (French patent #52,593, January 16, 1862).
1864 - Austrian engineer, Siegfried Marcus*, built a one-cylinder engine with a crude carburetor, and attached his engine to a cart for a rocky 500-foot drive. Several years later, Marcus designed a vehicle that briefly ran at 10 mph that a few historians have considered as the forerunner of the modern automobile by being the world's first gasoline-powered vehicle (however, read conflicting notes below).
1873 - George Brayton, an American engineer, developed an unsuccessful two-stroke kerosene engine (it used two external pumping cylinders). However, it was considered the first safe and practical oil engine.
1866 - German engineers, Eugen Langen and Nikolaus August Otto improved on Lenoir's and de Rochas' designs and invented a more efficient gas engine.
1876 - Nikolaus August Otto invented and later patented a successful four-stroke engine, known as the "Otto cycle".
1876 - The first successful two-stroke engine was invented by Sir Dougald Clerk. Who sounds like Scotsman.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
I have the feeling you didn't really understand my post. Maybe somebody put a piston in a cylinder and it made a few rotations at the crank before it overheated or the bearings fell out, if there were any - if that means "inventing", okay, then somebody invented it. But to work for decades to make it usable for mankind, that's the real achievement here. And that's what the people I mentioned above did.
What did the austrian inventor do AFTER he rode the 500 feet with his cart? He desigend "a vehicle that briefly ran 10mph". Okay, that's an achievement in 1864, but what then? Why did it take another 30 or 40 years to build an ICE that could be actually used?
So if you want to be over-correct, several people "invented" the ICE, then disappeared from view (accidents?) never to be heard of again. But the names of Benz, Otto, Diesel and others come to mind when the ICE is mentioned.
BTW, the first engines (oops, internal combustion engines) were two-strokes; Otto invented the four-stroke, and Diesel made the Diesel, not Otto. And Mazda still builds cars today with a Wankel-engine.