Air Filter Cleaning

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
Hi, just curious as to what to use to clean a foam air filter?

Any recomendations for a good, widely available product? I bought a can of Norca Foam, which is a foam designed to clean household air conditioners, not sure if this could be used. Has anyone else used it?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2006
Foam filters can be gently washewd in houshold detergent , rinsed a left to dry, If K&N style same method and then spray with air filter oil not WD40 or engine oil.

paper type filters can be vacuumed and blown clean but not washed.

jerry

monsterman

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Haven't seen a foam air filter in ages. Which bikes have one and don't they use paper by now in any newer bike?

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by Klaus

Haven't seen a foam air filter in ages. Which bikes have one and don't they use paper by now in any newer bike?

Air filter not oil filter

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

K & N filters are quite good in the sense it gives a nicer sound (I don't know how to describe it, it "swallow" more air) as the mesh is more open and arrange in a cross, differnt way than foam, however, I'll stay quite cautious about using it for dirt tracks and would prefer by far foam ones and better oil wet foam ones which will stuck the dust particles.

Don't forget that for carburator engine, this will arrives directly to your pistons/cylinders and will scratch it for life (nice picture isn't is ?). For injectors, it is worth as well as it will dammage injectors first.

Thus a classical foam filter would be (for me) better than fashion K & N ones and cheapest as well.

Of course you won't have the nice carburation intake noise, it will be less air but this could be tuned as well.

I know that I am a bit going against the trend but forme the K & N success is the result of a wider opening of mesh which is near to take off the air filter ...without doing it.

In Thailand, from what I know from roads and ambiant dust, I would prefer to protect the motor of my bike. Air filtration is important !

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
What you need to bear in mind is that a motorcycle engine is basically nothing more than a pump (albeit an explosive one). The dynamics mean that the more you put into the pump (intake side modifications), the more you need to pump out (exhaust side). Therefore, working on one side of the cylinder alone (either intake or exhaust, rather than both) is a bit of a waste of time as you will create a bottleneck which will nullify your "performance tuning" attempts. Admittedly, bunging on a less restrictive exhaust system (not just a noisy end-can) may make a slight difference but you need to study the carb jetting via plug chops to get a picture of how the engine is running. Here in Thai we don't have the luxury of a dynometer but there is loads of good info on carb setup at www.thumpertalk.com

Personally, on my new (secondhand) XR400 I have a paper air filter, an FMF pipe and some unknown aftermarket headers and currently have a misfire at the topend which i suspect is because it is running lean at full throttle. My plan is to ditch the stock airbox snorkel & lid, replacing it with a piece of mozzie screen and put in an oiled foam filter and experiment with the jetting accordingly - according to the chaps on Thumpertalk, if i do it right (a lot of messing about with jets), then I should gain a significant amount of BHP. Time will tell eh?.......

BTW, remember the Triumphs of the 60's and the Dukes of the 70's running velocity stacks with just wire mesh covers - supposedly capable of sucking in dogs, cats & small children when passing by and sounded great. Personally as Laurent says, I value my engine so will go with oiled foam!

Cheers,

Pikey

Oct 7, 2006
pickey..its not its ,...no its not....lets go .and look in the dictinary....think its like those shelias do.....c ..iam listening....speaking a lot slower...might go and finish my trip report .seems to b a bit of a break in the snow......wot does BTW mean?.......me and the big yob teacher.are looking forward to meeting u soon..cheers mate...

Jun 21, 2006
I have a Honda Phantom 150 2 stroke, and this comes with a foam air filter. The handbook recomends you soak it in a light engine oil, then squezze out the excess.

The newer 200cc Phantoms have gone to a paper element.

John
Phuket

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Kev,what are the point of your posts? GET A FOCUS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!! you are talking bollox mate! FYI, "BTW" means "by the way" and before you ask again, "FYI" means "for your information". I'm not getting on your case (too much) but you are wasting a lot of effort with your recent posts writing shite that nobody cares to read. I talk straight and hope you appreciate it.

Cheers,

Pikey.

grrr

Oct 2, 2005
It seems like this topic had something to do with cleaning foam air filters?

I have a Uni foam filter in my XLR250, and used Uni filters in my XR250 before that. Cleaning and oiling the filter every few months is not my favorite job, but necessary. I have tried many brands of dishsoap and detergents, all have worked, but I keep looking for something better. As long as the soap can disolve grease/oil it will do the job...

Oct 7, 2006
ok u wont hear from me again....out of here....sorry if i have bored u with my stories and pics,,,,,outa here.....

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
...now don't go cry in your beer..kiwi...just lay of the caffeine a bit...and stick with the topic..... and you'll be alright.....! ;-)

Looks like I'm not all wrong with the paper filters on newer bikes.
K&N does send a small baggie of very light oil with the air filter, which I usually use all up. - Light engine oil?! That would be 20W50, or what? I'd rather spray it with WD40; what's the use of a paper filter if you gunk it up with "light" engine oil?
But I guess we can talk all we want until someone does a real flow study. Or is there one somewhere?
I just wonder how the local teenagers fare with their all open carbs in this dusty environment....
By the way, XR400, I had the same problem with myXR650, caughing at the top - a one size bigger main jet took care of the problem.

Oct 7, 2006
hi claws...i aint cryinging in my beer..just i have had nearly 40 yrs of motorcyling experiance,,, started riding when i ws 14 and now iam 54.i am an engineer..so as well as riding..i know a lot about bike maitenance.....have riden everthing from a 50cc scooter to an vn 1500,,,also done extensive off road riding..was a bit upset by this guys coments,,,,,,,,,,just want to share my lifes experiances ...and tips with fellow riders..going to stay out of the forrum for a few days....thought pikey was was a friend... never mind ..i ride alone and stay alone............best some times.....

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by flyingkiwi

hi claws...i aint cryinging in my beer..just i have had nearly 40 yrs of motorcyling experiance,,, started riding when i ws 14 and now iam 54.i am an engineer..so as well as riding..i know a lot about bike maitenance.....have riden everthing from a 50cc scooter to an vn 1500,,,also done extensive off road riding..was a bit upset by this guys coments,,,,,,,,,,just want to share my lifes experiances ...and tips with fellow riders..going to stay out of the forrum for a few days....thought pikey was was a friend... never mind ..i ride alone and stay alone............best some times.....

Kev take a break for quite a few days will ya.
See also
Link removed

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Kev, don't take it too much to heart but personally I was getting a bit tired of reading a wall of rambling text. Like Davidfl said under in Laos forum, the topics need to be relevent to riding in S.E Asia. Reckon when you get here, you'll have us rolling around on the floor with your stories after a few beers and I for sure look forward to meeting you.

Klaus, thanks for the tip - will go through the rejetting and see what happens to the top end cough. Regarding oiling filters, my understanding is that a lightweight oil would be no more than 10w or possibly even a 5w fork oil. Haven't checked but the Thumpertalk website I referred to in an earlier post has probably got some useful info on the subject.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
I've alwys liked this forum because it is one of the few where the older members don't gang up on the new ones, like I experienced in quite a few other forums, and the level of the conversations were mature, relaxed, friendly and of course informative.
If I'd be the kiwi I'd be upset getting a comment like the one from pikey - "you're talking bollocks", "you're writing shite" that "nobody" (?) cares to read, and "get a focus for christ sakes" in CAPITALS with three exclamation marks - now that's not the kind of talk I'm used to at this site. Any kind of criticism can be voiced in a non-aggressive manner, or not?
Can't say that I care a lot for kiwi's ramblings (and probably haven't read all of them) but rambling is less insulting than pikey's remarks.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Klaus,

Point taken and I was probably a bit harsh - take a look at the timestamp and you can probably imagine that whilst not drunk, I'd had a few and his last post above confused and fired me up. My "talking bollox" and other comments were a reaction to Kev's previous post in this thread - could you make sense of it? I certainly couldn't. I've enjoyed reading his "stories" but as DavidFL pointed out, this forum exists to share info e.t.c on Thailand and it's neighbouring countries and Kev was consistently off topic.

We are a friendly bunch and in no way is there any kind of heirarchy where the longer term subscriber's points of view or opinions are anymore valid than those of newbies and certainly no "ganging up". If you look at a lot of Kev's posts, apart from being extremely difficult to read due to him not using any breaks e.t.c., the content was not really relevent(although very humourous at times!)

I hope that Kev takes some time to consider all the "negative" comments (which I think of as constructive critisism) and rejoins the board. If/when he comes to Chiang Mai, I'll certainly make time to have a beer with him - even if he smacks me in the mouth first....

Cheers & no hard feelings I hope.

Pikey.

Oct 17, 2006
My Ducatis come with paper filter , I replace them with K&N and cut the airbox to increase airflow .
I do the same for customers Harleys and Buells and adjust tuning and jetting to suit.

My Ducati S4 was 101 BHP on Standard settings now Dynos at 109 BHP with pipes , and airfilter and tuning Mods.Torque and massive midrange boost too.

Jerry

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
I find myself empathising with Kev.

As someone who has never before been remotely interested in forums, I often find myself wanting to simply get involved in conversations on GT Rider. The prospect of chatting to either actual or wannabe 'adventure riders' from across the planet is actually dead exciting (maybe I should get out more..). Perhaps Kev has just got a bit carried away with it all!

Has to be said though Kev that I eventually stopped reading your posts because they seem to have little point. Maybe you just need to hang fire until you have something relevant to contribute.

Once you tune out some of the white noise I'm sure you'll be a good guy to have around.

Regards to all,

Tomo.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Tomo,

Well put mate an I wish I had posted a more considerate reply but then again, I am the kind of bloke who calls a spade a spade.....

BTW, how is Bmth now? Getting cold? I am coming back to Poole for Christmas to visit my family and think I will need to wrap up warmly even though I don't have a bike to ride in the UK anymore.

You, your missus & mates must be getting quite excited now as it's only a month until you get here right?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
The news is not good from the Costa Lot I'm afraid Pikey...howling gales and driving rain are the order of the day. However, thanks to good ol' global warming it's quite mild!

My buddy and his good lady have been doing the responsible parent thing for the last 16 years (well she has anyway) and haven't got past the Med so this is going to be a biggy for them. Hopefully we'll all be enjoying a cold Chang 1 month from now in the Kafe.

So will you be back in Cnx for the inaugural beers on the 5th?