Back on the bike. Laos - tick. Vietnam - tick. Thailand.... incoming.

Apr 22, 2010
Hey guys,

Back again. I'm riding Northern Thailand a little later this year (in Chiang mai for NYE) and just thought I'd announce my return to this forum. Still working out a route (I'm budgeting just over a week) and was thinking of doing the MHS and/or a diversion to the Chang Rai. I've just ordered my third GT-rider map, hatrick! From what I understand more ground seems to be able to be covered in comparison to my travels in Vietnam so I should be able to squeeze a bit in with a few rest days here and there. I'll probably also have something a bit bigger than my wheezy 110cc Honda Win this time.

A report will be incoming. Unlike my 4 month trip to VN I think doing such a detailed report of that trip made me lose interest a tad to quick and I struggled to find the motivation to get back and finish the last few months of that adventure. I apologize for that but a week trip should be much easier to document! :)

As a side note since returning to Australia I've set up a side business in Australia importing vintage/classic motorcycles from Japan. Some of the bikes I bring over are the Yamaha SR400's which from my understanding are very popular in Thailand and people do them as 'cafe racers'. Does anyone know a shop or two in Chiang Mai (or even BKK) that stock parts for these bikes? Specifically 'cafe racer' gear. Drop/drag bars, rear gearsets, bump stops etc. If I buy some parts I'll be able to write the trip off on tax and potentially make this a regular trip! Haha!

Dec 27, 2007
The Yamaha SR400 is indeed crazy-popular in Thailand and there are many shops that cater to that bike.

Best place to start looking for parts and shops would be srthailand.com

http://www.srthailand.com/

Ride on!

Tony :happy1:

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for that link Tony. I have a good friend who now resides in Thailand (he is originally from Thailand) so hoping he can give me a hand in BKK.

I've done my proposed route and I'll post it here in the next few days. Interested to hear some suggestions as some days I might have bitten off more than I can chew. Haha!