Bangkok Weekend Warriors exploring around Srinakarin Dam

Mar 30, 2010
G'day All,

Four of the Bangkok Weekend Warriors manage to escape from the Big Durian (Bangkok) for 3 days.

BWW on the ride. Mike, Rob, Frank and Brian.

We set off early on the Saturday morning after a few of us met at Mulligans for drinks to welcome James Franey back to Thailand.
So getting home and finishing packing with a skin full was interesting...

7 am start and we are on the road..

DSC_1773-L.jpg

Thumbs up from the staff at the PTT.
DSC_1774-L.jpg

Meet up with the other guys near the dam.
10306231_773272499363351_8019458665358055350_n.jpg

We stop for a coffee and to enjoy the fantastic views.. So clear and can see for miles..
Unfortunately the power was out. So no coffee and we continued on after a look around the resort.
DSC_0719-L.jpg

We make it to our camp site.. Great place K.Nui showed us last year.
Restaurant, toilet, shower etc..
IMG-20140513-WA0004-L.jpg

By the time we had made it to the site.. eaten etc.. It was just gone mid day.
With no real plan and to just relax and settle in before two nights camping in the bush..
We go out exploring.

DSCN6950-L.jpg

After some great zipping around and going up trails we had no idea where they would go..
Back to camp with a stop by the ferry that crosses the dam

DSC_1788-L.jpg

Setting up the hammocks with in three metres of our swimming hole.

DSC_1790-L.jpg

IMG-20140513-WA0005-L.jpg

IMG-20140513-WA0003-L.jpg

We had a camp fire and copious amounts of beer and JD..
26 cans and 1 litre of JD were consumed by the camp fire and sound of the waterfall next to us.

P1010596-L.jpg

P1010599-L.jpg

Rob was passed out.. After a couple of attempts to wake him... I decided it was safe to move closer and take this shot with out being thumped !!
IMG-20140513-WA0006-L.jpg

More to come...

Mar 30, 2010
So after a good nights sleep it was up early.

Frank has to head back and be in the office Monday.. So went for a ride with us to the Klitty Waterfall area.
Heading back before we managed to get too lost in the maze of trails.

A few fun snaps of the ride...

Here comes Rob....
DSCN6958-L.jpg

Hat off to Rob.. Only been on the KLX a few times and never one to pass up a challenge..

DSCN6957-L.jpg

DSCN6962-L.jpg

DSCN6963-L.jpg

Then to some real fun technical stuff we did last year with K. Nui and the Thai guys.

DSCN6968-L.jpg

DSCN6969-L.jpg

DSCN6965-L.jpg

DSCN6967-L.jpg

DSCN6977-L.jpg

After spending a good part of the day doing these trails we head to Klitty Waterfall..
But as we get close.. Decide to head to another venue and see if we can get in / camp for the evening.
(We had camped at the waterfall before and wanted to try our luck)

DSCN6980-L.jpg

Not expecting to get in and it is getting late.. 1 hr plus day light left.. We rock up and ask if we can get in and camp...
To our surprise.... Yes, no permit asked for.

DSC_1801-L.jpg

What a great little spot to camp.. Table, toilets and bathroom..

DSC_0728-L.jpg

DSC_0727-L.jpg

No camp fire.. but we have camping lights, gas stove and enough bush rations to feed a small army.
Not to mention a beer run 8km up the trail back in town and 1/2 litre of emergency JD..

P1010629-L.jpg

After a cold cold night at 830 metres above sea level.. We are up at 6.30am.
I was really surprised how cold it was. The night before was quite warm and OK at 230 metres.

Rob was not feeling well and decided to head back.. Mike and I wanted to ride in to the park a bit.
After all.. You normally need a permit to get in here.

We decide to go to the first ranger station and then come back.. We head off at 7am

DSC_0731-L.jpg

DSCN6981-L.jpg

Boy was it muddy and slippery early on.. I started thinking of James and our ride slipping and sliding down the Boolaven Plateau.
It was no where near that bad.. But did make me cautious that we could actually ride back up some of the slippery clay parts.

The most difficult bit was at the beginning as it was all under the jungle canopy and the morning dew gave it a nice extra slippery touch.

DSCN6984-L.jpg

DSCN6985-L.jpg

Cat prints in the trail
DSCN6992-L.jpg

DSCN6989-L.jpg

We made it to the first ranger station

DSCN6997-L.jpg

DSCN7001-L.jpg

P1010648-L.jpg

18 km to the next ranger station?
DSCN6999-L.jpg

Some good fun getting back too..

DSCN6990-L.jpg

Brian%20Mud%20park-L.jpg

DSCN7004-L.jpg

This fella was walking along the trail.. Stopped said hello and photo.

DSCN7006-L.jpg

Back at camp and two very dirty KLX's
P1010655-L.jpg

More to come...

Feb 23, 2003
Yes, I can hardly wait to return to the Thungyai Naresuan park..... Except next time I would
like to be on two wheels. Great trip, the park looks like it has about the same amount of water
as the last time I saw it.

159043650828818.png

Dec 27, 2007
Good stuff Brian! Awesome that you could get in to Thungyai Naresuan without a permit! :thumbup:

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
Hi Ian,

That's mine, before I got into bikes I used it to explore Thailand, then it became a Sunday club racer and now it tows the (dirt) bike around, a Scooby is a true jack of all trades :)

Cheers

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
Great report Brian and very interesting to see such a vast off-road area fairly close to Bkk, still lots to explore there.

Mar 30, 2010
After a great ride down the slippery trail and a slightly less slippery ride back up as the sun was out.

It was time to head off to the national park K. Nui showed me the year before.
A lovely spot with a large tree that had fallen over the river during one of the rainy seasons gone past.

We rock up to the park entrance and it is closed off. There is a little way in for bikes and a sign that says no vehicles.
While looking from the road debating if we should barge in and take a look and hopefully not offend anyone..
We spot someone on a bike that had just ridden in.. So we ride in and he talks to us and says we can't go in.
Mike has his helmet off and chatting away.. we are trying to explain we just want to go to the tree and take a pic.
He said no at first.. more laughter and joking and pleading and he says OK.

Just then some of his mates also pull in to the trail and he explains..

We have the green light to proceed.. Off we ride..
It is a great track in there and 5 or 6 km to the ranger station..
While we are zooming along thinking we will see these guys in 20 mins time after they catch up..
We CATCH UP to the first bunch.. How did they do that..
Then we arrive at the ranger station and the main man (Khun Chai) was already there...

Obviously they had another more direct route in LOL

I take of my helmet and explain to Mike... Pointing where we camped..
Then K. Chai yelled out and took two paces and gave me a hug...
He remembered me from last year with K. Nui and the guys..
It was pretty funny and I certainly didn't expect that reaction after taking my helmet off..

A snap with K. Chai.

P1010674-L.jpg

A couple of snaps of Mike and me on the tree over the river

P1010685-L.jpg

P1010679-L.jpg

P1010686-L.jpg

After a chat and sharing some muesli bars with the rangers we headed on and did a little exploring on the way to the camp site

A rather large storm was brewing and heading our way.

DSC_0739-L.jpg

DSC_0737-L.jpg

A little more riding up and down a couple of great enduro tracks we found on the first day and then back to the camp site.

DSC_0741-L.jpg

DSC_0744-L.jpg

The storm is nearly on top of us.. Load up the bikes and eat and leave just when it is bucketing down.

It was like this for a good hour and a half.. and yes.. One crazy driver over took me and others in conditions like this !!

DSC_1802-L.jpg

You don't want to be tearing around these bends or you may end up with a years supply of beef and goat to carry home

DSC_1805-L.jpg

Of course.. back in Bangkok and the last 7.5 km took forever

DSC_1806-L.jpg

Thanks to Mike and Frank for the additional pics to make the report more complete..

Will post a few images of the tracks we rode on Google Earth shortly
Tracks to be uploaded to OSM ready for next month.

What a great 3 days with a great bunch of guys with some of the best riding..
We had it all over these three days.

We shall return.

Cheers
Brian

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
What a ripper report. You guys certainly know how to have great dirty weekend.

Beautiful scenery, great swimming hole, and some hot looking tracks,...that's a weekend that's got it all.

Just love the "iconic Brianbkk photo" Have mud, will blast.

Brian%20Mud%20park-L.jpg

Moto-Rex

Mar 30, 2010
A couple of snaps of the tracks on Google Earth.
Kanchanaburi%20May%202014%20Tracks-L.png

Plus a snap of where we were heading.
To be continued next dry season.

Kanchanaburi%20Where%20we%20wanted%20to%20go-L.png

Cheers
Brian