Best Bakeries & Cafes In Northern Thailand

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
the-best-bakeries-and-cafes-in-north-thailand-1.jpg

World class Bakeries and Cafes are not that common in Thailand, and those that exist are often difficult to find. They are also one of the things that a lot of expats miss here...

There are some whose cakes, pastries and/or bread are so good that they warrant classification as a "Destination" in their own right! Good enough that if you are yearning for a special treat, you might well consider riding several hundred kilometres just to satisfy a particular cake or pastry craving...

Bakeries in Chiang Rai Province

Bakeries in Nan Province

Bakeries in Tak Province

Bakeries in Petchabun Province

Feel free to add any other memorable bakeries as a post in this thread, and I will add and link it in the list...

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
[format=h1]Tieng Na Coffee & Bakery Farm - Tak city[/format]
I've stayed overnight in Tak a couple times this year, and had the chance to explore a little of the local dining and accommodation opportunities.

Location: on Highway 1, approximately 3 kms north of the Route 12 intersection, on the left hand side.

Visiting the Tieng Na Coffee & Bakery Farm was a revelation! It warrants "Destination" status on multiple counts;
  1. The quality and range of their cakes, pastries and breads
  2. The fact that all items are "home made" on the premises
  3. The coffee is superb
  4. The garden setting with a variety of inside and outside seating
  5. Opens at 8am and breakfast options are included in the menu
They have a quirky "Orders" system... you order and pay inside, they give you a little steel stand with a big number on it so the waitress can find the right person / table...

1-tieng-na-coffee-entrance.JPG
2-tieng-na-coffee.JPG
4-tieng-na-shop.JPG
5-pastries-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
6-cakes-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
20180713_151244.jpg

On my first visit, I tried the Chicken Panini... it was SO good!!!

20180715_094319.jpg

On the 2nd visit, I was entranced by a Chocolate Tart (above) and almost defeated by a massive "Ham & Cheese Sandwich" below...

20180715_095047.jpg
blueberry-cheesecake-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
breakfast-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
burger-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
cake-pastry-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
pastries-2-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
pastries-3-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
sausages-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
seating-2-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
seating-3-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
seating-4-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
seating-5-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
seating-tieng-na-coffee.JPG
seating-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg
steaks-tieng-na-coffee-bakery-tak.jpg

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
[format=h1]Pino Latte - Khaem Son, Khao Kho[/format]

Location is off Route 12, at the top of the hill coming up from Lom Sak. Follow the road that leads up to the white Buddha and chedis. The cafe is a few hundred metres up past the statuary...

First off, the Pino Latte Cafe has the most stunning panoramic views, I cannot think of another location like it anywhere. That's backed up by superb landscaping, design and ambience. The staff are friendly and courteous, all of which adds to the enjoyment of the array of cakes and meals included in their menu...

If every picture tells a story, you can judge the quality by their presentation - it is faultless...

1-pino-latte.JPG
3-pino-latte.JPG
4-cafe.jpg
4-cakes.jpg
4-cakes-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
5-omelette-sausages-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
6-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
7-pork-ribs-chips-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
almond-croissants-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
cake-pino-latte-lom-sak.jpg
view-1.jpg
view-02.jpg
view-03.jpg
view-04.jpg
view-pino-latte-1.JPG
view-pino-latte-3.JPG
view-pino-latte-4.JPG
view-pino-latte-5.JPG
views-pino-latte.jpg

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
[format=h1]Charin Garden Resort - Mae Suai, Chiang Rai[/format]

Located on Route 118, approximately 8 kms north of Mae Suai, the Charin Garden Resort has long been a favourite of those who ride in the north of Thailand. My personal weakness is the Pineapple Cheesecake...

4a-charin-garden-resort.jpg
4b-charin-garden-resort-1.jpg
4cc-charin-garden-resort-seating-2.jpg
4c-charin-garden-resort-seating.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-cakes.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-cakes-2.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-cakes-3.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-cakes-4.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-pies.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-pies-tarts-cheesecakes.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-pies-tarts-cheesecakes-2.jpg
4-charin-garden-resort-spring-rolls.jpg

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Sweet Mae Salong Bakery, Doi Mae Salong

Doi Mae Salong has always been one of my favourite places, and the friendly people at the Sweet Maesalong Cafe have added to enjoyment of trips here. I've visited alone, as well as with family and friends, everyone loves the place for the views, great coffee and the exquisite cakes.

In the past, some have churlishly complained about the prices... What you must remember is that it takes years of training to attain the level of skill required to produce such beautifully created cakes - it is an art, not a mass production line. The prices simply reflect the quality and artistic skill required, and the use of the finest ingredients... If you like cheap cakes, those are available at Tesco Lotus or Big C.

The fact that you can sit in a mountain-top cafe, drinking locally produced Arabica coffee or fine tea, and eat handcrafted cakes that would not look out of place in French bakery chef's restaurant is an experience in and of itself... The cost is not particularly relevant...

3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-exterior.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-akha-market.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-coffee-cakes.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-options.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-snacks.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-views.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cafe-views-2.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes-2.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes-3.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes-4.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes-5.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-cakes-6.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-menu.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-menu-2.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-sandwiches.jpg
3-sweet-maesalong-breakfast.jpg

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The Flow Bakery & Cafe @ the River Resort.
1634582925279.png

Situated on the banks of the Mekong in the River Breeze Hotel near Sop Ruak, the Golden Triangle.
1634583070376.png

1634583212692.png

Their Croissants are absolutely outstanding. The best in the North & the old GTR fellah doesn't mind riding the 60 kms from Chiang Khong for a cuppa and an almond & strawberry croissant. An out of this world flavour if I dare say. Superb!

1634583227395.png

Totally fresh, baked on the premises.

A choc croissant and a cuppa
1634583261495.png

A sensational Mekong riverside setting.
1634583466715.png

1634583521187.png

An unbeatable view & spot for a nibble & happy hour cuppa.
1634583582670.png

Don't miss out if you're in the area
1634583617915.png

1634583644555.png

Highly Recommended

They also do a decent English Breakfast
1634583870405.png

1634584024294.png

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Sweet Mae Salong Bakery, Doi Mae Salong

Doi Mae Salong has always been one of my favourite places, and the friendly people at the Sweet Maesalong Cafe have added to enjoyment of trips here. I've visited alone, as well as with family and friends, everyone loves the place for the views, great coffee and the exquisite cakes.

In the past, some have churlishly complained about the prices... What you must remember is that it takes years of training to attain the level of skill required to produce such beautifully created cakes - it is an art, not a mass production line. The prices simply reflect the quality and artistic skill required, and the use of the finest ingredients... If you like cheap cakes, those are available at Tesco Lotus or Big C.

The fact that you can sit in a mountain-top cafe, drinking locally produced Arabica coffee or fine tea, and eat handcrafted cakes that would not look out of place in French bakery chef's restaurant is an experience in and of itself... The cost is not particularly relevant...

View attachment 123891View attachment 123888 View attachment 123889 View attachment 123890 View attachment 123892 View attachment 123893 View attachment 123894 View attachment 123895 View attachment 123896 View attachment 123897 View attachment 123898 View attachment 123899 View attachment 123900 View attachment 123901 View attachment 123902 View attachment 123903 View attachment 123904 View attachment 123887

Sweet Mae Salong has closed up shop @ Doi Mae Salong & moved to a location in Chiang Rai City.

The business issue at DMS was not enough walk in customers & their online orders nationwide took off, such that it was much more convenient to move to the city for business reasons - send products around the country. It is bitter sweet, because I / will surely miss them on the side of the mountain, but I'm personally happy for them making money in these difficult times.

Reactions: scotty007