Best country and bike to start SE Asia trip

May 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'm John from Baltimore, MD USA. Long time rider and solo traveler planning the first part of my Around the World Trip. First I just want to say how incredible this forum is and thank you for the wealth of knowledge that you all have provided. I have been reading through pages of threads as well as other internet resources trying to find a suitable answer. It seems like all the countries have different variables to consider when purchasing a bike (Vietnam being a PITA) and just need to know if there is an easy answer. I'll try to be simple:

If you could buy a bike anywhere in SE Asia for a 5+ month long trip through most of the surrounding countries, which one would be the most hassle free regarding paperwork and boarder crossing. I would rather spend a few more $$ and have everything legal for a relatively smooth ride. I love my independence and hate idea of renting a bike or buying multiple bikes in the region. But if that's what it takes to accomplish the trip by motorcycle then so be it.

As far as bike choice goes, I'm used to riding 125-200cc Honda's and Suzuki's in developing countries so that's what I was thinking. Cheap, I'm familiar with basic repairs, somewhat reliable and repairable anywhere. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 so worst case scenario it gets stolen, confiscated, wrecked, etc, it won't bother me too much. Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts on bike choice.

My basic plan is to fly into Bangkok via LA. The countries I would like to visit are Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Nepal, Myanmar, Malaysia and Singapore with the possibility of China and/or Philippines. Nepal and Myanmar I will fly in and out of. I would like to make the "loop" by bike then travel south eventually selling or leaving the bike in Singapore before heading into Indonesia. After that off to Aus and NZ where I will buy other bikes. I am aware of all visa requirements. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sep 12, 2011
Hi John,
If you like to ship your bike from Nepal you can try 'Eagle Export' of thamel,next to Kathmandu guest house.My friends James and Emily did from there last year.
For more information you can go through their blog Miguel's Nong Hoi email at [email protected]
Regards
Sara

Feb 23, 2010
bmore rex;268224 wrote:
As far as bike choice goes, I'm used to riding 125-200cc Honda's and Suzuki's in developing countries so that's what I was thinking. Cheap, I'm familiar with basic repairs, somewhat reliable and repairable anywhere. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 so worst case scenario it gets stolen, confiscated, wrecked, etc, it won't bother me too much. Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts on bike choice.

Here are all the bikes you can buy in Thailand and prices : http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Motorcycle-prices-in-Thailand

If I were you I would buy a Kawasaki KLX250. You'd have more fun and it would be easier to pass unpaved roads. Although it is not an extremely common bike, repair shops still deal with them from time to time. These are made in Thailand and unlike other brands, prices are the same as/lower than the US prices for the same exact bikes.

Good luck,

Esat