Big Bike Registration Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by INTJ, Dec 5, 2006.

1. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    In 2002 Japanese Government sent a Team of investigators to thailand and with help of Royal thai police over 4000 bikes of 400cc + were examined all ex Japanese imports , only 6 were found to be stolen , less than 1% ,The investigators came to every shop in pattaya and not 1 stolen bike was found but on beach road 12 big rental bikes were seized as stolen in Japan. So 99% of ex japanese bikes here are legal.
    In the UK it was found in 2005 that 15% of grey import cars from japan were stolen.

The Japanese vehichle auctions are very tightly monitored, but i am sure there are other ways stolen bike can get in here as in any country.

2. INTJ

INTJ Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have owned several big bikes in Thailand, all with proper, legal and untampered registration. The last bike was a CBR900 Fireblade which I bought in Khorat, transferred to Chonburi and then sold to a guy in Chiang Mai, where it is now registered. There were never any issues re-registering this bike, and nobody had to "work on the book". It still bore the original SC28 frame number.

Not all big bikes here have illegal registrations with recycled books and re-stamped frames as some on this forum would suggest.

Everyone accepts the illegality of this, yet it continues and is almost condoned. I have no issues of the morality, as I currently own and ride an unregistered bike. I only wish to point out that sooner or later these illegal registrations will be the subject of a government "crackdown".

I would not buy a bike with a dodgy book, because as you rightly point out Thailand is a dynamic and ever changing place. Just because a blind eye is turned today, doesn't mean that will be the case tomorrow. Look at all the people who formed an illegal company to buy a house...............

Cheers

3. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Its a minefield for sure even if you know what you are doing. Very inconsistent.

4. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,126 / 0 / -0
    Phuket Richard here's another one for you.

5. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,126 / 0 / -0
    Richard Sorry mate, this is for Thailand.

6. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,126 / 0 / -0
    From Scott at Siam Motorcycles

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... html#17810

7. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It appears the riders are given chance to make the bike legal an pay to the prorper taxes and get a book

8. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    I have been Told this Week that the New Transport Minister has Issued Orders to the Customs and Excise Department to Work Together with the Police to Stamp Out Illegal and Grey Imports "Once and For All" :twisted:
    Bikes with No Papers at all are to Be Broken Up and not returned :shock: Bikes with Import Papers which may not be Technically Correct Can be returned after Paying a Fine :? It is expected once they have Cleansed Thailand appropriately a Period of Amnesty will be given to Clean up any Remaining Bikes :roll: Expect this sometime this Year I would Guess :?: And After that I would think anything else Caught will be Gone for Good :idea: An Interesting Time to Come No Doubt???

9. KZ

KZ Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They could save a lot of time and grief by offering a streamlined, simple way of registering a bike with an invoice. If it would be a one-time trip to Bangkok, standing in line all day and then paying 50K THB I would do it and I guess lots of others, too.

10. jayguzz

jayguzz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a imported bike and i have tryed to get a legal book. as you all know dealing with thais will make you pull all your hair out. a friend of mine in cambodia says get the bike into the country (without a stamp) go back thur thai customs on foot and get your passport stamped. register the bike in cambodia and pay the import taxes and get your tax stamp and all other papers and the licence plate. bring the bike back into thailand and get a 30 paper to ride the bike in thailand. while in thailand re-register the bike using the papers from cambodia. i hear the papers in cambodia are easy to get. the hard part could be getting the bike into cambodia without thai customs knowing. anyone think this will work?

11. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is a guy in Udon that will do it for you in Udon, 60K and you don't stand in line. I think the CC's of the bike may change that I don't know.

That will get it registered in Bangkok easy to transfer after that.

I've seen it work twice now. Once on my 400 and a another guy with an 1100.

To me worth 10K baht not to have to deal with the zoo, in Bangkok

12. nuwatmat

nuwatmat Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would never consider buying a bike with a fake book,a guy in this forum tried to sell me one in january,it was a 1300cc yamaha i wasted half a day in bkk loking at the bike in prime drinking time.

i asked the &¤&#&#%¤ if the bike had a 100% legal rego,in fact i asked the question 3-4 times on the phone he confirmed 3 times.
    I met the guy asked to see the book i was told it was at home,in fact the bike was not in his name at all.
    I asked how much he had payed for the rego 50k he replyed,evryone here know that it is to cheap for a legal book,he allso told me that transfer to my name would cost something like 3-5000 bath,the isurance stick was hidden under the numberplate.
    The guy was braging about knowing the police and all kinds of people in power,so they got rego cheaper

Last time i heard about that bike was a email from a conserned buyer that was offerd the bike some weeks after it was sold in this forum.

I know the bike was cheap and it should be,i think if you buy a bike with dodgy paperwork you can loose it at anytime.and in case of an accident you will loose it for sure.

You would NEVER consider buying a stolen uninsured motorbike with dodgy paperwork in your own country so why the hell do it here,and when your bike get confiscated buy the police you write your sad story here and allso complains a bit about coruption in the police force,from my point of wiev if you buy a stolen or illegal bike you are just as bad as the corupt police.

What happend in the beginnig of 2009 when the police confiscated all the unregistered bikes ?
    All idiots complained that the police was not for sale anymore and crying their eyes out for loosing the dodgy harley or ducati.it seemed like breaking the law was now illegal.

I was trying to buy a bike in pattaya,it was a ktm not a fancy ktm but had a fancy price tag,i asked to see the book,and wouldn`t you know it was a Kawasaki,i just gave it up.

Not to long ago ALL the rentalbikes in pattaya were illegal,from my point of wiev this is a step forward,i know a lot of you want thailand to be as lawless as possible so you can buy your way out of evrything.

I think there will be big changes ahead

13. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont know who you were referring to but I'm not talking about a fake book. Registered in Bangkok Transfered to Udon where I live.

14. nuwatmat

nuwatmat Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Transfer a legaly bkk registered bike to udon is no problem and should not cost much more than a couple of hundred bath.
    However if it is not legaly registered they will probably confiscate it

15. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats how it went aqnd it was easy. Getting it registered in Bangkok the first time through is what costs so darn much. But you have to have the import papers and the taxes paid, to do that.

16. pumpkingman

pumpkingman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello monsterman ,I am a new entry on this forum and i found your post about importing Motorbikes disassembled..As many riders I tried to find any solution to get my Bmw1200Gs into thailand where i planned to move this November, but seems the import duties and rules exceed the vaue of the bike.. I live in China and I have all the regular papers about the bike, reguraly registered in 2005.Now, is there any way for your company to take it into Thailand following the procedure u mentioned? and if yes how much it would cost..
    Thank you
    Pkm

17. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Pumpkingman. sorry to say i am no longer involed in Bike import business since 2009, there may be companies that can do it but the bike would have to be dismantled . sent in 3 seperate shipment s , engine , framr andd the rest to a thai registered company and its all very complex , once in country it will be reassembled and have import invoices paid for all the bits 35% average plus shipping costs $1000 average , then the even longer process of registration will begin this needs inspection of the bike up to 20,000 baht then registration for emmissions and capacity will add another 70,000 baht average and take up to 6 months

its a nightmare and now even less certain due to changes in the thai customs laws , I have had no contact with importers or agents for several months , so i cannot recommend any at present .

personally I would sell the bike and buy again in Thailand , but if you want another BMW avoid barcelona .

18. Ettamiano

Ettamiano New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    VERY USEFULL !!

Thanks David for spread and Scott for his assistace. I was going to get a dirt bike, but I changed mind after read this post.

Again. Ciao
    Stefano

19. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,126 / 0 / -0