Big Bike Rental at Songkran / April 2009

Feb 23, 2009
Hi all,

Can anyone let me know what's happenning to big bike rentals in CM. I'm flying into CM on the 13 April and wanted to rent a big bike for 5 days.

So a couple of questions:
1. Are big bikes available to rent
2. Is anything open on the 13th and 14th April over the New Year festival

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers...Mark

Jul 18, 2007
carmima wrote: Hi all,

Can anyone let me know what's happenning to big bike rentals in CM. I'm flying into CM on the 13 April and wanted to rent a big bike for 5 days.

Cheers...Mark
Those are probably the worst two days of the year to be on the road on a motorcycle (or anything else) in Thailand. The streets and roads and highways are jammed with merry-makers (of a sort) throwing water and powder, and there are plenty of intoxicated people around, including behind the wheel. There are astronomically high accident and death rates during this period. You are better off staying off the road then...but...

laeo thae khun (up to you).

S.

Feb 23, 2009
NDSinBKK wrote: [quote quote=carmima]Hi all,

Cheers...Mark
Those are probably the worst two days of the year to be on the road on a motorcycle (or anything else) in Thailand. The streets and roads and highways are jammed with merry-makers (of a sort) throwing water and powder, and there are plenty of intoxicated people around, including behind the wheel. There are astronomically high accident and death rates during this period. You are better off staying off the road then...but...

laeo thae khun (up to you).

S.
Thanks S...I appreciate the advise.

So would anyone like to advise a first time traveller to Thailand who was desperately wanting to do a 5 day ride around the north area what to do regarding big bike rental and the time of year.
Particularly as my wife had finally started to get excited about doing it on a bike!

Jul 18, 2007
I will defer to the rental advice of the folks in Chiang Mai, but in terms of timing the week of 20 April would be ideal. All of the Thais will have straggled back to work by then (many will be out the entire week of 13 April) and the roads will be pretty clear.

Here in Bangkok it will be kind of peaking in terms of heat, and I assume it will be the same or worse up north. I'm sure you know that, however, and as long as you suit up properly, it's just part of the experience.

If I were you I'd make sure to bring one of those mesh riding jackets and the "soak in water" undershirts for cooling. One for each of you, that is...

Good luck - riding in Thailand is wonderful...just not that week...

S.

Apr 5, 2007
Carmina,
There are plenty of big bikes (250cc+) to rent in CM, that should not be a problem.
Right now, lots of Kawi's--KLX, D-Tracker, Ninja, and some rarer bigger cc models--all available with proper plate and book.
Definitely stay off the road during that April Holiday.
Check out the Mea Hong Son loop for a good 5 day trip.
Good luck and happy riding!

Also, Thanks to all the guys posting in this thread, it's kept me and my XR off the road lately.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Carmima

https://www.gt-rider.com/traffic-roads.html

HOLIDAYS
The roads can be busy during holidays or festival times.
The busiest periods of the year are:

1. New Year. Last week December - first week January.

2. Chinese New year. One week, usually in February.

3. Thai New Year, Songkran. One week around April 13 - 15.

4. Loy Krathong festival. One week around full moon in November.

Due to the volume of traffic on the road and heavy accommodation bookings, these periods are not the best times for touring.

Songkran (Thai New year) is a seriously bad time to ride & tour is definitely not recommended.
Be warned, it is totally dangerous with buckets of water thrown indiscriminately, often deliberately in your face.

Regarding rental, bikes with number plates should be available for rent as usual. But some shops maybe reluctant to rent them over Songkran.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
October through February you should have a better riding experience here, although you may just get a bit cold. Mae Hong Son Loop defintely worth a look.

Feb 23, 2009
Thanks to all who have replied...it's appreciated.

Looks like we might head down south for the week 13 - 19 April and then up to CM on the 20th.
Had an offer from a great bloke on the Aus section of ADVrider to use his holiday house down south.

We're locked in to coming over in April as we didn't check best times of the year when we booked the flights! Ah well, can't win them all.

thanks again for the advise so far

Mark

Oct 1, 2005
I second what many people here have said...... The roads become lethal.
Two years ago I holed up in CM over Songkran and rode back to Bangkok two days AFTER Songkran.

On the way to Mae Sariang people in a pick up coming the opposite way threw a bucket of water at me (our combined speeds being about 90mph.......). I managed to stay on but it was close and very scary indeed...... This was after the end of the festival. They were laughing and smiling with seemingly no understanding of the danger they were causing.

I have seen motorbikes sent flying at 60kph in Bangkok..... You don't always see the water throwers until its too late.

Its a poisonous mixture of alcohol and stupidity. I will be driving around in Isan over Songkran period. I will be parking up for the entire festival where ever it is I find myself when it starts.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
If you got to do this. wear a full face helmet and keep the speed down. there will be times you can't see. Try to get yuor rides in early in the mormign stop an go throw withem in the aftenoon. There is no place Thailand during this event buckets of water get thrown on peopel sometimes with big chunks of ice in it. It's no joke. if your on a bike. the only time of year I dont ride. Riding defensivley X 4.

You can't see and hit someone kill them, count on it your going to jail.

Even if have to start at 0400 get off the road early.

Feb 23, 2009
ray23 wrote: If you got to do this. wear a full face helmet and keep the speed down. there will be times you can't see. Try to get yuor rides in early in the mormign stop an go throw withem in the aftenoon. There is no place Thailand during this event buckets of water get thrown on peopel sometimes with big chunks of ice in it. It's no joke. if your on a bike. the only time of year I dont ride. Riding defensivley X 4.

You can't see and hit someone kill them, count on it your going to jail.

Even if have to start at 0400 get off the road early.
it's all been decided...we'll head down to the house in Chumphon area on the 13th and then fly up to CM on the 19th.

DFL...I've put in a request on this site about a CB750...hopefully something will be available.

Just have to book a good hotel clost to the kafe and all should be good. :D

Feb 23, 2009
Davidfl wrote: [quote quote=carmima]Had an offer from a great bloke on the Aus section of ADVrider to use his holiday house down south.
Mark

That great bike would be Craypot at a guess. Yes, a top guy.
yeah, that's him.
I had the pleasure of meeting him last weekend. We did a weekend ride to Hill End and rode the Bridle track, among a few others.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Wonder if yuo could rent a bike there using a Debit card. I would really like to ride that coast once. Advantages to not having creidit cards keeps yuo out of a lot of trouble with impulse buying, also some probelms wiht it. None in Thailand though.

Feb 23, 2009
ray23 wrote: Wonder if yuo could rent a bike there using a Debit card. I would really like to ride that coast once. Advantages to not having creidit cards keeps yuo out of a lot of trouble with impulse buying, also some probelms wiht it. None in Thailand though.
Ray...you've totally lost me with that one mate.

Care to explain a little more :p

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Are you kidding I dont know what I said :lol:

Most places require you to have a creit card to rent a vehicle. I was wondering if they would accept a debit card instead. I only work on cash.

Feb 23, 2009
ray23 wrote: Are you kidding I dont know what I said :lol:

Most places require you to have a creit card to rent a vehicle. I was wondering if they would accept a debit card instead. I only work on cash.
well i'm a credit card man myself...but bike rental for this trip and oganised by this site has been a paypal experience :D

Feb 23, 2009
ray23 wrote: Here they sometimes hold yuor passport and you just pay.
it'll all be a new experience...seems every asian country is quite different, but that's what adventure is all about i suppose

Feb 23, 2009
ray23 wrote: Wonder if yuo could rent a bike there using a Debit card. I would really like to ride that coast once. Advantages to not having creidit cards keeps yuo out of a lot of trouble with impulse buying, also some probelms wiht it. None in Thailand though.
Sunday morning and a much clearer perspective on things...so much so, that I think I understand what you were referring too :D

Not sure what the acceptance of debit cards are here...although my son has one and I believe they work just like credit cards.

Much better roads than the coast road to be enjoyed though