BMW 125 - assembled in Thailand

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
By plain accident I came across a black BMW 125. It looked like a brand new bike even though the look is kind of retro. It has a chain drive and dual rear suspension, the look overall is like it was made in the sixties.
The engine, too, is not the top-of-the-line technology we've come to expect from the Bavarians but a rather simple air-cooled, two valve contraption.
The reason may be that BMW is trying to keep the costs low; obviously this little machine is aimed at beginners on a small budget. It seems BMW is trying to attract a broader entry market to get a bigger customer base.
I took some photos but unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post them on this website. Maybe I can somebody can post them for me.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
HI KLAUS

I can tell you for 100 % sure thet it is not a BMW. Probably somebody has put BMW stickers on some bike that seems to be a fashion in Cambodia and also in Thailand

HIKO

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
HI KLAUS

I can tell you for 100 % sure thet it is not a BMW. Probably somebody has put BMW stickers on some bike that seems to be a fashion in Cambodia and also in Thailand

HIKO

Apr 10, 2006
A bit like when they make Yammy SR400/500's into 50's/60's style British cafe racers and badge them up as BSA's or Nortons. See a whole bunch of them down the Kao Sarn Rd once.

Jun 21, 2006
Hi Mr John,
here are the pictures of the "BMW125". Of course it's not a BMW but since it's quite a well done conversion of a Honda Wave 125 I wanted to post it on the gt-rider site. I expected a bit more of a discussion but HIKO nailed it fairly well with his "100%" opinion that it's not a Beemer. Can't fool the gt-rider crowd!
Thanks in advance for posting the pix, I attached one of myself, hope you don't mind.

BMW125a72dpi.jpg

BMW125b72dpi.jpg

BMW125d72dpi.jpg

BMW125e72dpi.jpg

i.ontheroad3a.jpg

Feb 3, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

Hi Mr John,
here are the pictures of the "BMW125". Of course it's not a BMW but since it's quite a well done conversion of a Honda Wave 125 I wanted to post it on the gt-rider site. I expected a bit more of a discussion but HIKO nailed it fairly well with his "100%" opinion that it's not a Beemer. Can't fool the gt-rider crowd!
Thanks in advance for posting the pix, I attached one of myself, hope you don't mind.

BMW125a72dpi.jpg

I love it... Old style look with hopefully new bike reliability... Fun Toy.. Where can I get one???

Pianoman

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
...I've always been reliable...!! :cool:)

I had the same reaction as pianoman: where can I get one? I talked to the thai guy who built the bike, a kid, really, who runs a motorcycle repair shop for small bikes and had some parts lying around. So this bike is a one-of-a-kind but his brother is working on another one. I asked how much they put in, he couldn't tell. I asked him how much it would be if I brought him an old 125, he didn't know what to say, either. He was overwhelmed by the fact of having an extremely good-looking farang standing in his shop asking questions about his creation.
Then I started to add things up for myself: a fork off a Nova; headlight, speedo cluster, signals; air filter, handlebar, exhaust system; fenders, tank, seat... - those boys did a fairly thorough job of redesigning it. Plus cutting, welding, painting... Guess if I ordered one it would cost me as much as a brand-new Honda Phantom 200.

Aug 27, 2007
"Beemer wave "looks pretty cool but John should return home.....something extremely nasty has obviously happened to him up north !!!

Jun 21, 2006
No way Noel am staying up here in the north a while longer, having a great time on the Degree with the lads, will post a trip report soon, have the foto's, just have to work out on the map where we went as all I did was follow our fearless leader, David Unc.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Hello John, thanks for posting the pics, maybe some day I'll learn it, too. People say it's easy, but that's what I tell my students every day, and they're having a hard time. Everything's easy once you know how to do it!

Jun 21, 2006
No Worries Klaus, I said you would get some sarcastic remarks didn't I,re the picture of you. Will have to call in there sometime to say hi, as I seem to be up and done on Route 4 quite a bit now from Phuket to Bangkok/North Thailand.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Phuket - north Thailand - sounds like your girlfriend left and you want to see your kid on the weekend...?
Actually I expected some more remarks about the photo - if I couldn't handle it, I wouldn't post a picture like that! So come on guys, give it your best shot!
Bang Saphan is a good stopover from Phuket to BKK; it's about 400km to BKK from here, and it's 550km door-to-door to my bud's place in Kathu. Time is about the same since getting into BKK is a pain in the elbow with all the construction and backed-up traffic. Maybe to Phuket is even faster 'cause it's highway all the way down. I like to go Pha-Nga instead of the west coast.
Stop by and sample what my little jungle town has to offer - cheap bungalows, a mediocre beach, warm beer and cold girls.