BMW G 450 X

I can't wait to see one of these for real. Does anyone else feel the same and want one?
2008_bmw_02.jpg

2008_bmw_03.jpg

The new BMW G 450 X Sport Enduro is a unique motorcycle that completely redefines enduro riding. That’s because it’s been designed from the ground up to deliver the sort of off-road traction dreams are made of, with a brand new single-cylinder engine and a revolutionary swing-arm design. The result is a bike that is quite simply unstoppable.
1 Traction: Thanks to a revolutionary frame.
Unstoppable performance can only be achieved with original thinking, as seen
in the mounting of the rear swing-arm of the G 450 X. Its pivot point shares an axle line with the drive sprocket, so ensuring that the length of the drive chain and as a result, the efficiency of the transmission is not affected by the compression and rebound of the suspension. The swing-arm is significantly longer than on other bikes with a comparable wheelbase, for maximum ground contact and traction on any surface. Finally, the ground-breaking frame features perfectly straight tubing, offering exceptional structural rigidity.

2 Unstoppable traction. Thanks to an outstanding engine.
The key to unstoppable performance is an unbeatable engine. An engine like the ultra-modern DOHC single-cylinder unit found in the G 450 X*. It is angled forwards,allowing for long, straight air intakes, which in turn makes possible an optimum location for the fuel injector and the two throttle valves. The engine provides punchy yet supremely controllable responses right across the rev range. In addition, the innovative positioning of the clutch directly above the crankshaft minimizes the amount of torque it has to handle, and as a result its size and weight can be significantly reduced.
3 Traction. Thanks to an uncompromising suspension design.
To be truly unstoppable, you need outstanding grip, which means maximum ground contact at all speeds and on all surfaces. The front of the G 450 X features a fully adjustable Marzocchi upside-down fork with 300 millimetres
of travel, and effortlessly takes on even the bumpiest terrain. At the rear is a fully adjustable Öhlins monoshock suspension system, also fully adjustable and with 320 millimetres of travel.
4 Traction. Thanks to a perfect riding position.
Unstoppable performance is not just about the frame, engine and chassis. It’s also about the rider. The riding position, whether travelling uphill or down, sitting or standing, is also of vital importance to proper control of the bike. The G 450 X is exceptionally well balanced, with a slim body, and a long, flat seat. And for maximum freedom of movement, the fuel tank is located beneath the seat rather than in front of it.
5 Technical Data. The exact technical data of the BMW G450 X has not yet been finalised as the machine will not be available to purchase until the middle of 2008. The maximum output is around 37kW (50PS) with a best torque value of approximately 48Nm. The overall weight with full tank is approximately 120kg which means that the BMW G450 X is lighter than the current best weight values in its class. This value is all the more impressive because the machine boasts fuel injection, catalytic converter, electric starter and Euro III homologation. The exact geometrical data of the chassis is subject to last minute fine tuning and will be announced at a later date.
The worldwide market introduction of the BMW G 450 X is scheduled for the middle of 2008.

news_bmw_g450x_05_preview.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION
Model Year 2008

Model G 450 X
ENGINE
Engine 1-cylinder, DOHC, 4-stroke

Gross Horsepower 37 kW (50 PS)

Displacement 449 cc

Torque 48 Nm

Compression Ratio 12:1

Fuel System Fuel injection

Clutch Wet with clutch diaphragm

Cooling Water

Exhaust Stainless steel

Lubrication Wet sump

DIMENSIONS
Weight 120 kg with full tank

Frame Thin walled high-strength stainless steel precision tubes

Fuel Capacity 8.5 l

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission Constant mesh, 5-speed

Suspension Front: 45 mm upside-down Marzocchi fork, fully adjustable; 300 mm spring travel
Rear: 2-arm swing arm, Öhlins central strut; 320 mm spring travel

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Brakes Double-piston floating caliper from Brembo
Front: Single disc; 260 mm
Rear: Disc; 220 mm

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
For an Amateur Rider like myself it would be a Ball but The Price would once again be the Killer for BMW :cry: So i doubt they will sell here, especially with Yamaha Confirming their intentions to Sell New Dirt Bikes in Thailand before Years End :!: Roll out the New WR450 Yeah :lol: I bet it will be cheaper than the BMW and Probably a Better Ride :D

I must admit, the downside for me would be price, but reliability due to the EFI must be something BMW have thought of surely? Carburetors must be something of the past now surely?

One thing I don't like though is the fact that the swinging arm has to be removed to change the engine sprocket, although they say "it only takes 15 min."

I think Husqvarna must have had quite a bit of input in the design of the bike, what do you think?

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
Robin Holmes wrote:
Thanks to a revolutionary frame.
Unstoppable performance can only be achieved with original thinking, as seen
in the mounting of the rear swing-arm of the G 450 X. Its pivot point shares an axle line with the drive sprocket,
Actually, Spondon did it yonks ago.

Oct 12, 2005
I've only owned two BMW's, both older models, but sadly they soured my taste buds severly. Enough that I would be quite leery about their capabilities off road. Even their flagship road bikes handle like ocean barges, so lord knows how their dirt models will fare. BMW's adroit marketing department conning people into believing their GS series were/are dirt worthy was even more of a sham than Bushs' rationale for invading Iraq.

Having said that I do welcome more bikes into the dual sport/off road arena and hope they work out better than my fears convey.

EFI is no doubt the future. However in the real world tests I've read there has been little real world benefit so far in terms of performance. The carb is nothing but an overglorified brick with a hole in it. However its easy to keep running and troubleshoot, especially important out here in the boonies where reliable mechanical assistance can be hit or miss. Lets hope the EFI does not prove troublesome in the third world, humid, environment of Thailand. As we all don't have Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boormans contacts and resources to sort out the Barvarian machines troubles down the road.

Jun 21, 2006
im with the bungy on the wr450, the beemer looks weird and its name tarnished by drug dealers on south london housing estates.

Happy Feet, I remember the first trail bike I ever had. It was a New 1975 Suzuki TS 250. It had electronic ignition and 2 miles down a muddy track with only 200 or so miles on the clock it failed. It was 6 weeks before that bike ran again (had to wait for a new "black box" from Japan). What I am saying is that however good anything is, it can and will go wrong. This was the first and last time I have ever been stuck on a trail. Your friend is lucky to have gone so long without a failure. Electronics seem to fail early or else go on forever.
I wouldn't want to go back to points coil and condenser though:)
1975_TS250M_slv-side_250.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
sadly all new bike have electric systems and EFI which makes repairs a big problem.

thats why classic models are still popular .

BMWs are good bikes but compromised

jerry

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Not to dampen your enthusiasm but this link to a thread on ADV Rider makes alarming reading
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309952
Having experienced BMW Thailand's service I am not sure I would want a new & untried product coming out of China & then "supported" by poor service here.
Especially, as HF suggests, off-road the electronic wizardry will be suspect.

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Guys,
I took a 2002 Model F650 Dakar thru S.E. Asia in 2004/5. 38,000k in 12 months.
I can assure you that at least the 650 motor is one of the most reliable in its capacity.
I can also vouch for BMW's service, I had only 1 week left on the 2 year unlimited guarrantee (anywhere in the world) when the back shock give up in Cambodia. I rode back to Chiang Mai were I was based. And the BMW Dealer took down the details and had a new shock flown out from Germany, 2 weeks turn around. No Questions No Cost.
Try that on any other Marque.
My Dakar (Doris) has now almost 70,00O K up on her and is getting ready for another ride up to Thailand.
I will ride her from Newcastle NSW in OZ, to Darwin then ship her to Singapore then thru the East coast of Malaysia into Thailand.
It is shorter and quicker than going around Australia!
Make no mistake, if BMW create a bike, it will at least be reliable! I too owned huskies, but now BMW own them....

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Tom
Since your experience BMW has removed the farang in charge of the M/C operation.
Selling less than a 100 units a year did not warrant the expense, as the M/C side was only there to sell to their rich Thai car customers.
My experience of BMW service has been poor and does not bare comparison to that I received in Europe - taking the bike in for 10K service was told it did not need it only the annual and that the next major one was 20K. I explained the phrase RTFM.
Part of the problem has been Ruser's Thai deputy, who is now in charge - he has told dealers that dealerships will now be responsible for the cost of all warranty work on bikes they sell. Talk about a company standing behind its product and dealers!
I know of two of the few 'good guys' who have left BMW due to the lack of service commitment to their customers and problems working with this particular individual.
These two are now working at Ducatisti & Triumph.
I understand now that VVP in Chiang Mai are about to close their bike service operation.
Now that my warrant period is over I am going to David Curtis to look after my Bavarian Bus.
Thailand is barely a blip on their bike worldmap to ensure that we receive the standard of service associated elsewhere for the marque.
I believe you received appropriate service in the twilight of BMW's service days here in Thailand.
At least rumoured plans of the Japs selling enduro/dirt bikes will give us other biking options.
Sadly I have yet to hear any news coming out of BMW TH that gives cause for hope of a change of commitment.
I was in FastCorner, a K&N dealer, who has sold out of BMW filters as rich Thais are now sourcing parts elsewhere and having their bikes looked after by non-dealer mechanics. And for once this is not due to saving money.

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Col and Rhodie,
Well things have changed in a couple of years!
I will be giving old Doris a 70,000k service, tyres brakes etc before coming up in September.
Your right Col, the Rotax motors are brilliant, you must me doing some serious touring with 102,000k. The last time I saw you you were still thinking about buying the F650, that was early 2005.
I was using our old German mate Joe in Chiang Mai to do any addition work outside of services (due to warrantee claims) so it seems I will just have to source reputable bike shops when required.
Thanks for keeping me in the picture.
See you soon
Tom