BMW R80G/S - Enduro

Marat

Oct 13, 2010
800 cc, 50 HP
Engine 5,000 mls ago completely overhauled, all engine wear parts replaced, new bearings, oil seals, etc., Pistons and piston rings new, crankshaft ground and new bearings, con-rods and con-rod bearings new, cylinder heads useable with unleaded fuel, new valves and valve seats installed.
Additional front twin disc brake, oil cooler, original BMW wind screen and luggage carrier with twin hard bags installed.
Rear tire 300 mls, front tire new,
Thai registration,
195,000 Baht
Tel. +66-86-6895288
E-Mail: [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Marat wrote: 800 cc, 50 HP
Engine 5,000 mls ago completely overhauled, all engine wear parts replaced, new bearings, oil seals, etc., Pistons and piston rings new, crankshaft ground and new bearings, con-rods and con-rod bearings new, cylinder heads useable with unleaded fuel, new valves and valve seats installed.
Additional front twin disc brake, oil cooler, original BMW wind screen and luggage carrier with twin hard bags installed.
Rear tire 300 mls, front tire new,
Thai registration,
195,000 Baht
Tel. +66-86-6895288
E-Mail: [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]
Be good to see a pic?

Jul 6, 2004
Hey Guys, I travelled down to Bangkok last week to buy this Beamer, I offered 180,000Bht unseen.
I did my homework based on overseas BMW clubs (ie Australia) if in good condition it was a good price.
What a disappointment to say the least!
Paint crap, leaking carbs, original back shock (30 years old) front forks like a water bed, extra front disc means unbolting caliper to remove wheel.
Shaft drive clunks on gear shift, Header pipes rusty, seat needs new cover. And I was going to ride this bucket of bolts back to Chiang Mai!
Not worth more than 50-80,000Bht.
I was gutted and almost cried, seeing such a classic Beamer in such condition ( like an old dog misstreated)
I left the owner with my intentions well instilled in his brain about looking after bikes.
It is basically a boat anchor!
Cheers
Tom :take-that:

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Tom
I looked into this bike through a German friend - who rebuilds R69s etc and rides a R100GS that he restored- and knows the bike in question here.
He advised me of these problems and in his opinion the work certainly needed doing, but was no big deal.
That may be the case for someone like him, but like you, I took it no further as there are few whom we can rely on in restoring it to a really good runner.
I understand that the bike was sold to a Thai "restorer" for 180,000K, as there is a growing market amongst a certain Thai clientele for the R80/100GS models.
I understand tho the restoration work done on them would not meet general [world] standards and imo itwould only lead to months of frustration and possibly years of future misery if you persisted with this clunker.

A point that you elude to in your comments on the Triumph Street Triple for sale is that when you look at the prices for new bikes in LoS,
imo the dealers are not really concerned with the farang buyer though their prices are subject to the high Thai import taxes, the dealers' are also pricing for those who want exclusivity of shelling out big baht for their bikes.
The pricing of KTM Thailand is particularly egregious& is proving self-defeating in this respect.
The lack of interest in the farang market was clearly illustrated at the KTM launch earlier this year when the 20-30 foreigners visiting their stand were pointedly ignored.
However, a call I received this week informed me that they now have 'deals' [ahem - don't hold your breath] as they have surplus 2010 models, as they are having to import batches of new 2011 models!
The scewed Thai market may perhaps explain why BMW's biggest seller is the R1200GSA - which is wrong on so many levels - go figure. :smile1:

Kawasaki had the foresight in negotiating a favourable tax rate for selling their bikes built here when they established their manufacturing plants.
Triumph did not, and their dealer goes through the charade of 'exporting' the bikes & then re-importing them - I understand that they don't actually leave LoS, but get moved around customs' compounds.

Also, their Thai dealer does not appear to be that interested in pursuing & breaking this tax iniquity for a number of reasons.
First, they can keep Triumph firmly in the 'luxury/exclusive' bike range price bracket ala Ducati or H-D/BMW, which perhaps they do not deserve for bikes when compared to those offered by other manufacturers in the various different bike niches when you compare performance and bike components; especially as Kwacker has shown that they can bring 'performance' bikes to the Thai market at more realistic prices.
Second, it works for their somewhat lethargic marketing plans & service [less sales = less work].

In spite of the high value of the thai baht I do not expect to see a bike price adjustment as that would be seen as 'devaluing' the brands and the bikes.
In Thailand it's not all about giving good deals or better service to the thai bike buying public.

Oct 17, 2006
Rhodie and Tom you are both spot on ...as regards the dealers and certain other business philosophies here ...well sod em and buy good grey market bike instead .I cant be arsed to even bother with any of the main dealers in thailand except Kawasaki . I just bypass them every time and they are losing one hell of a lot of business , for instance last year i and 5 of my mates between us spent about 580,000 baht on Ducati parts,spares and bling and The main dealer got zilch .partly dur to their poor service/ attitude , lack of any stock and silly prices .