Border Crossing with rented bike

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Darx, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. hi to all
    I am italian. Last year I've bought an Enfield Bullet and I've rode through indian west coast from Delhi to Bangalore, and again from Delhi to Varanasi. Has been an amazing experience!
    This summer I'd like to try again in Thailand.
    I'am a little bit scared from weather, but I can be there only in August. I've some question for you, people, I hope that someone gives some good council to me:

    - in the case I succeeded in renting a motorcycle keeping my passport with me, in which adjacent countries can I enter with a rented motorcycle?
    I mean,(sorry for my english), if I rent a motorcycle in Thailand, can I travel across Laos,Combodia,Vietnam,or Malaysia? or ... Burma? (ok, don't mind Burma) and which are the documents I need to each border?

    - any advice about rental is welcome.

    If someone is interested in self-made motorcycle trip in India with a Bullet, just ask.

    thanks to all in advance

  2. thanks david. I've already read that. If (I guess) are you the mantainer of this web site, many compliments! it's usefull and very rich! I've posted because I'm not sure if the rules are the same when cross the border with your own bike respect a rented one due to the ownership papers or other limitation. Another question is about the costs (i mean, compulsory insurances or other documents...)
  3. Hi Darx,

    My wife and I are Very Interested in riding Northern India next year on an Enfield. We live in Northern Thailand along the Thai/Laos border (Chiang Khong) and ride just about full time.

    Please send us an email and we can exchange info and stories.

    David and Mai
  4. Ric

    Here are some of your major problems. More detais will be found with a quick search for related topics.

    1. Finidng a rental bike with a number plate, and getting written permission from the legal owner to take the bike across borders.

    2. Vietnam has a 175cc limit on foreign bikes coming across borders.

    3. Malaysis requires extra documentation and translated number plate.


    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."
  5. Hi Darx,

    I sent you an email, but it bounced back saying your address was invalid...any chance of you writing me directly at .

    David and Mai
  6. Hi Bob, what is a translated number plate please?

    Hi David, i noticed your email address, are you an agent there, if so do you know of property in the Railey, Ao Nang, Tonsai area please, also what restrictions are on foreigners (Australian) buying normal residential property (house/land) in Thailand?
    Chris Moore

    growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  7. For documents required for entry to Malaysia
    Link removed

    As far as property, foreigners cannot own land. You can own a condo if more than half the building is Thai owned. You could set up a business and the business can own some land.

    Many websites about this subject. Try here to start.


    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."
  8. Sorry, hadn't realised that roman numeral and translated were one and the same! The business thing sounds very interesting, I'm envious of the westerners who've carved a niche there, thanks for your help!

    growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  9. Hi Brat,

    Not an agent, but have been doing property for 16 years as a side line...

    Contact me directly via my email address should you want.

  10. Brat-
    Try, should answer many of your questions.

    Dave Early

    Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?
  11. in the past, customers have had no problem crossing into Laos with a copy of the green book, but last week one of our customers was refused entry because Lao immigration wanted to see the original. If this is a new requirement it will compromise the renters as the bike owner is unlikely to give a renter the actual green book. Does anyone have some further info on this ?
  12. Peter
    As far as I (& other GT Riders?) know the system has always been the same for taking someone else's bike out of the country. And that is basically you need to prove you that you have permission from the owner to take the bike out of the country.
    This is written up at 2 places on the GT Rider site
    1. Buying a local bike:
    2. Crossing Borders:

    I personally have never known or met anyone who has succeeded in taking someone else's bike out of the country without "official" approval from the owner of the bike, as explained in the above two links.
    How your customers without the right papers got away with it before I don’t know.

    One of the main problems now is that they (customs) are computerised at just about all the border crossings.
    The computer files are being checked, & the staff are afraid that they will be in trouble for allowing unregistered or “unapproved” bikes being taken out of the country. Hence the crack down.
    All the records are there - I can see when & where I crossed the border into Malaysia nearly 10 years ago.
    So the staff have to obey the rules & cover their arse, or they’re in the shyte!

    It would be a right pain in the arse if you rode all the way to the border & got caught out, and I hope that any riders planing trips o/seas, out of Thailand, read the GT Rider site properly & ensure you go with the right papers.

    Keep The Power On
  13. I'll now be bringing my own bike, registered in Australia, I was told by another traveller about a "Carnet du Passage" which will be necessary, I've tried to search on this site and Google, no result! Is this the international equivalant of the "Information of conveyance"

    growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  14. Chris
    Suggest you take a look at

    Australian Autombile Association - Touring - Carnet de Passage
    Then contact your local RACQ branch & that should do the trick.

    What sort of bike are you thinking about bringing over?

    Keep The Power On
  15. Thanks David, I must apologise, I should have thought of that, the problem with forums you can start to rely on other people too much, ie turn your own brain off!

    Re Vietnam's restriction, a Yamaha DT175, how embarrassing! We're going to run it in here if we have time (Brisbane) then strip and ship to KL, I had a Yamaha 185, years ago so hopefully I can be gentle with it and won't kill it 1/2 way through our trip!

    growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  16. PS, just checked that link, thanks again David, answers everything! :eek:)

    growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  17. Chris
    Good luck with getting into Vietnam. Im sure it's almost going to be hit & miss, despite the "correct capacity." You just never know how it's going to work out.

    If you take a look at Glenn's last report ... hichpage=2
    it seems to vary so much that you never quite know what is going to happen = which side of the bed did the border officials get out of that morning?"

    But strange things do happen = NZ Anton on an old XL250 got in & went right thru Vietnam into China & ended up in Japan in May 2005 this year!
    Go to ... hichpage=2
    for the link & info

    You might also want to keep an eye on the Horizons Unlimited board
    for some info

    So, nothing ventured nothing gained......Good luck.

    Keep The Power On
  18. Wow thanks, the Anton stories an inspiration! Thanks again
    Chris Moore

    "growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!"

Share This Page