Border ride

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Just came to my mind, has any one ride around Thailand using boarder roads, i mean main roads, not nesessary those tiny dirt roads but completely ride around in one ride?

what you think how long that would take?
I notice there is a lot of not marked road especially near burma border and west coast or do i run with very old paper map? :lol:

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
That would take some time. Set aside one month and work out your routes, distances, stop overs and rest days.

Of course Capt Slash has done it, in some cases a few times. So you could get routes etc... from there and build your own itinary.

But..........you and a map? Hmmmm.
You without your GPS would be like Charlie Brown without his blanket!!

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Dougal wrote: That would take some time. Set aside one month and work out your routes, distances, stop overs and rest days.

Of course Capt Slash has done it, in some cases a few times. So you could get routes etc... from there and build your own itinary.

But..........you and a map? Hmmmm.
You without your GPS would be like Charlie Brown without his blanket!!
Good one matey

i can say that i have time, as nothing is on horizon also in my zumo (i never leave home with out it) kind of bad habbit has ability to make that as route,, i will take my sweet time and do some planing of this...nothing beter things to do :p

now i have got all parts to my tank and will resume re-building it next week thu-sat when my mechanic comes back from mongolia

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Did a quick route on Mapsource. Sticking as much to the borders on asphalt roads, the roundtrip would be about 8000 km requiring 7 days and 15 hours or about 24 days riding 8 hours a day or so without rest days. Not for the faint harted.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Auke wrote: Did a quick route on Mapsource. Sticking as much to the borders on asphalt roads, the roundtrip would be about 8000 km requiring 7 days and 15 hours or about 24 days riding 8 hours a day or so without rest days. Not for the faint harted.
Matey

You cant belive what i was just doing,, i was writing you PM and asking your help on that routing thing as i know you are up to mapping,,, wow,,,

Ok 8000km im up to that, next thing is need to get it legged abt reosanable legs. PM me with your route and we can do it, and documented in here

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Colin,, yes i think so too,, and with some additional road help and with gps Bkk is no problem at all.

I was looking that also and if i could do with 4digit roads i would go very close to border all the time, but then accommodation and resent clash in Cambo border might come an issue,, but i will get my bike together next week(hopefully) and then have a look on the route again.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Marco wrote:
Matey

You cant belive what i was just doing,, i was writing you PM and asking your help on that routing thing as i know you are up to mapping,,, wow,,,
Marco,

Will have to do it one more time as it looks like I did not save the 8000 km. route. Will do it later today and send you PM.

Cheers,

Auke

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Marco / Auke

I was thinking about this while riding around Doi Inthanon with Davidfl today.

Anyway, there are a few ways this could be done.

Obviously the most challenging, and what gives the most bragging rights, is to do it in one trip.

However, many of the 'Round the World Bikers and Boaters, do their trip in legs. Ride for a while, leave the bike and go back home. They come back later and do another leg. One could do the same here, not leave the bike but do it in sections at different times, and still accomplish having made the loop.

Another example would be "credit for past experience". I, and many others, have already done a large portion of the loop. From Nong Khai anticlockwise to Mae Sot would be one for me. Nong Khai clockwise to Preah Vihear. Also let's say Songklaburi/Phuket/Krabi, etc.

So if I just concentrate on doing the border areas I haven't done yet, it makes the complete loop. Yes? :lol:

What are the rules? :?:

Edit: After writing this I reread your post and see you DID say do it in one trip. Oh well, I was just "thinking out loud".

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Yes i was thinking to do complete loop in one run as i have no work so the time is no problem for me.

when i see what kind of loop Auke has managed to get i can brake it to day runs.

if it's 8000Km and i managed to ride 700Km daily, it would take 2 weeks as i will have few off days in some "selected" towns.

I have bad habit to wake up around 6am so day ride would be easy.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Colin
700 for a day it's no problem if the roads are ok, but like always commom sence is good to be in hand and not to be foolish, like i said i have time in my hands now.

ThunderDuck Posted: 18 Jul 2009 18:06 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gday Marco ... did it back in 06 on a stock black 125cc Dream ... a disc brake up front would have been nice ... hmmn.

Didn't stick religously to the border roads but wherever it was practicable.

Info here ....
TD, mush be nice run, do you have that route still in your file, i mean roads and hotels where you stayed.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Marco,

If this comes off, you could do a couple of things to make it even more worthwhile:

1. Raise sponsorship for a good cause such as the Chiang Mai Toy Ride charities - I'd donate 25 satang/KM.

2. Post your itinery and invite GT-Riders to join you on various legs whilst you pass thru their locale.

Just a thought..... ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
pikey wrote: Marco,

If this comes off, you could do a couple of things to make it even more worthwhile:

1. Raise sponsorship for a good cause such as the Chiang Mai Toy Ride charities - I'd donate 25 satang/KM.

2. Post your itinery and invite GT-Riders to join you on various legs whilst you pass thru their locale.

Just a thought..... ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.
Pikey

That is good idea,but i'm really bad to raise any sponspis or adverd my rides other than here, as always any one is welcome to join and as soon i get Aukes help on route i will look in to it and then start to plan the time table.
I also have GPS tracker in my bike (IGOTU) so actual route will be traced and drawn to google maps and ofcourse my ZUMO 550 record that as well.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
OK, here what we standing today

Let me say that Auke has done unbeliveble job to make route for me so far and have made so far up to 6243.5km, including 50.5km dirt road section to me up north to cut away 200Km tarmac detour, very thoughtful.

BUT now i facing one tought question and need your pro and sensible comments and pros & cons

DEEP south,,,,as the situation still is not that stable,, i was thinking would i be making too big mark about my self to going there? yes i know im big and big is big so we are doubble big target,, but you know what i mean...

Auke however has made me nice tour down there what eventually cuts away some troublesom parts, but i would love to go all the way but i dont wanna come back home in wooden box....

Your take on this?

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Marco wrote:
BUT now i facing one tought question and need your pro and sensible comments and pros & cons

DEEP south,,,,as the situation still is not that stable,, i was thinking would i be making too big mark about my self to going there? yes i know im big and big is big so we are doubble big target,, but you know what i mean...

Auke however has made me nice tour down there what eventually cuts away some troublesom parts, but i would love to go all the way but i dont wanna come back home in wooden box....

Your take on this?
Don't worry yourself unduly.
The only really dodgy place is Yala and provided you don't stay the night there,
and announce your plans to people on the way [mentioning no names here!] you should not have a problem.
The coastal road from Songkhla, Patani, Naratiwat is quite safe and we stayed in each of these towns.
Only crossing into the hinterland of Yala could present some problems if you are v. v. unlucky.
Just take local advice at the security check points, to see if its clear up ahead.
Also if you go in the heat of midday everyone is too hot to bother, or, if its raining too wet to notice.
I travelled extensively down there and enjoyed it immensely.
The road to Betong is a great ride - just make sure you fuel up before you leave Yala/Betong.
On my return from Malaysia I had to seek cherry aid fuel from a muslim market which surprised the locals a bit.
The western border corridor is similar to the east i.e. safe.
You can subscribe to "google news - southern thailand" which will give you a daily update that you rarely see in the BP or Nation
Read out of context, it appears very nasty; but in fact it is normally extremely targeted secterian violance, that has to my knowledge not included farangs.
And don't feel the need to ride the highways, just to clock-up Thai provinces, as some 'record seeking' riders have.
Also if you have the chance to cross cross over and ride the road to Gerik to Penang in Malaysia, do so.
Amazing 4th gear roll-on/roll-off spectacular mountain riding.
PM me if you want to chat.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Colin & Rhodie

Thanx for that and i have also long conversation with one of my friend and he also stated that there is no worries to ride in there also as you said colin and Rhodie, local check point's and security updated are exelent idea and must taken every time,,,,kind of looking forward to this now, thanx guys

Always trustee GTR forum guys always ready to give helping hand...

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
ok Mapping guru Auke has done nice route for my try
total of 8314.5Km
tryed to took pictures from google earth, hope you get some sence of the route

now big task start, i need to brake that in to daily rides
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Note that in South provinces there is alternative route close to border and middle there is Aukes first planned route.

For my untrained eye, this looks pretty nice and big taks,but very challenging.
Also for daily rides, it will not be speedy run as i have now been re-thinking about 400kmday, it will leave nice time for pictures and seeing something else.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
This will be put on old for month or so,, got a call last night and need to fly to Germany next monday 27th, ship calls.
6* MS Seabourn Pride cruiseng in Scandinavia & Norwegian Fjords...

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Marco, so finally you got a new assignment, wish you good luck with it and hope you are back soon !! Happy sailing :lol: cheers, Franz

Jun 1, 2008
Looks a fantastic ride and a great challenge. I wish you well and will watch the progress with interest.

Many years ago I did the same thing (border run), although it was around the border of Kefalonia on a scooter. With lunch and a couple of swims it took me about five hours. I suspect I am the only one on this board to have achieved this feat of greatness and look forwad to you joining me on the board of fame

T

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Franz wrote: Marco, so finally you got a new assignment, wish you good luck with it and hope you are back soon !! Happy sailing :lol: cheers, Franz
Franz
Thanx, but aagain it's only Month or so,, i like the idea of having vacation for 5-6mths and work 1month, fits to me prefectly 55555

Looks a fantastic ride and a great challenge. I wish you well and will watch the progress with interest.

Many years ago I did the same thing (border run), although it was around the border of Kefalonia on a scooter. With lunch and a couple of swims it took me about five hours. I suspect I am the only one on this board to have achieved this feat of greatness and look forwad to you joining me on the board of fame

T
Tony
it will be challenging and same time unique.

i have now riding partner Harri the Finn wanna join me for whole round so that make it nice, Harri btw came up with this NICE name for the border run,,
F.A.T.T :wink:
Finns Around Thailand Tour

but same time it will more logistic to this as me and Harri work in different jobs and different part of the world, so we try to find suitable time for this as soon i'm back home and that time Harri is already back but will see when he need to head back to job....

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Marco Lucky on the ride list has been thinking about this for sometime now. Might be worth seeing if you can hook up with him.

He3 also has trip planned for August to Ko Samiu he used to live there so he knows it pretty good. However you spell that has about eight riders thus far.

When he nails the a exact dates I will post that one for him. One little at least for me he speaks very little English he is French, at last it's problem for me/ There are aa lot of people in the world it is no problem at all.

I won't make it these guys will be moving fast and I would only slow them down.

For me to do a border ride probably closer to two months since I like to really look things over when I go to places that are newto me.

Sep 4, 2007
QUote TonyKiwi:
Tony, I have done the same around Thassos and Skiathos and Rhodes, more than once.
Whoops they are not in Thailand, (sorry mods), but the weather and the roads and the riding habits are much the same.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Marco how's the planning for your F.A.T.T. tour progressing?

If you are concerned about the South of Thailand,
just set up a Google Alert for Southern Thailand.
This will give you daily news on what is happening
& better than anything you can readilly get in print here.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Rhodie wrote: Marco how's the planning for your F.A.T.T. tour progressing?

If you are concerned about the South of Thailand,
just set up a Google Alert for Southern Thailand.
This will give you daily news on what is happening
& better than anything you can readilly get in print here.

Rhodie

Im on Norwegian Fjords at the moment,,(Olden today) got urgent call to replacement, but back in home by End of August and No im not worried abt south, that is in my plan...as soon im back will continue planing and will do the ride