Buy A Motorbike In Thailand

May 16, 2013
I plan to buy a Honda CRF 250 L second hand in November/December. I stayed very often in Thailand. My girlfriend (lives normaly in Germany) has a house nearby Khon Kaen.

I expect to buy the bike in Chiang Mai because there is a lot offered.

1. I will stay in Thailand for 3 months. But because I plan to travel to Cambodia for a few weeks I need only a Visa for 2 months. Is this enough for register the motorbike in my Name?

2. Because I want to drive to Cambodia too, I need the new plate very fast. I heard, in some districts it takes al long time. Does somebody knows how does that look in Chum Pae (nearby Khon Kaen)? Can I do anything to make it faster?

3. After I bought the motorbike in Chiang Mai: Have I anything to do in Chiang Mai or can I go straight to register the Motorbike in Chum Pae?

4. Then I want to make a driver`s licence in Thailand, too. Is it enough to have 2 months Visa or does I need 3 months?

Thank you for answer.

Yours
Hagen

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Getting confirmation of your address will be the biggest issue.

It maybe best to put it in your girlfriends name first, so the transfer can be done straight away.

Then when you cross the border all you need is a letter from your gf, giving you permission to cross international borders.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Most important to get is a sertificate of recidency/an adress. Not always easy to get on a tourist visa or visa excemption. But ask around how it has been done lately so you know the latest about this. Another option is to register the bike in your gfs name. But you need a stanle relationship to do that....LOL...

May 16, 2013
Thank you. You don´t have to warn me. I know that. Don´t trust Thais :). Normally. And if you do. Only a little bit.
I´ve been to Thailand many times. Can speak Thai, too. Reasonably.

My girlfriend lives like me in Germany. I’ve been with her for 6 years.
So I think I can trust her. At least for a motorcycle that costs about 80.000 Bhat.

But I feel better if I register the motorcycle on my name.
If this is not possible in this year Cambodia must wait till my next holiday.
So I think it´s the best way to go to Chum Pae Transport Station together with my girlfriend.
So she can confirm that I live in her house.
Where I can get the Residence Certificate? In The Transport Station too or have I go to an other office?

And have I anything to do in Chiang Mai first? I don´t want to hear in Chum Pae that I have to go back to Chiang Mai.

Thank you for helping.
Hagen