Buying in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Malaysia - Motorcycle Road Trip Reports Forum' started by goasia888, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. We are planning to buy a small size motocycle or scooter in Malaysia with the intend to drive around the region (Thailand,Laos,Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma and India).

    Can anyone provide us with some insights as to:

    1. How can we get insurance for all these countries? (we have a friend living in Malaysia)?

    2. Which size would be best (i.e. limitation of 125cc in Vietnam)?

    3. We have int'l drivers licences but only for one year, we read that under 100cc you may not need a drivers licence, is that true?

    4. Is it easier to cross boders with a scooter? Do we need a tracel document for a moto (beside the registration and insurance)?

    5. Any MOT or TÜV (check-up) in the region?

    6. Waht is the story about taxes (road, import, etc)?
    Your advise would be appreciated,

    Diane & Guenter
  2. If you buy one in Malaysia or Singapore (Singapore is cheaper but you need to be a resident to get insurance). If your friend in Malaysia is registered as the owner, you can go on his/her policy as named rider - if you have 3 or more months permit to stay and an acceptable license. If your friend has no previous ownership of Motorcycles - it might be difficult.

    Another approach is that you buy the bike for export with a destination country - insure it where you live as the destination country and ride it out of Malaysia.

    First country you cross obviously is Thailand - if you have a Malaysian/Singapore insurance - this is valid to Hat Yai about 60 km on the other side of the border - you get a local 3rd party insurance at the border for a few Baht, don't mess with this - the traffic cops in Thailand do take a dim view of people riding sans local insurance. A Thai cop-shop is to be avoided at all and any costs. Make sure you have a copy of the logbook to show. Use a laminated one.

    Wherever else you go in this region - apart from Vietnam and Burma - to stay legal you can get a cheap 3rd party at the border or just thereafter. Alternatively, major Insurers in Europe will give you a carnet (a bit pricey) for transit covering the countries you intend to cross to get home - see above.

    Apart from Vietnam - where you may ride a larger CC bike on a local license - problem is that you have to get the license IN Vietnam before you may cross the border on a bigger bike - it matters not a jot for the rest what size bike you take across these borders - at least it has never made any difference to us - I ride an 1100 cc Guzzi.

    Avoid Burma - it's not safe on a bike - and you're extremely limited where they will allow you to ride. If you annoy them - they lock you up.

    You need Log Book, Insurance, Your personal travel docs, visa where appropriate depending on your nationality plus Int Drivers license covering class of bike.

    CC regulations vs License requirements vary - bikes smaller than 100cc with luggage on some of these roads do not come recommended.

    Vehicle inspection is compulsory in Malaysia - make sure if you buy second hand it has got some time left.

    Good luck and Have a fun trip
  3. Cookie

    You claim that if a person can get a Vietnam drivers license, he can cross into Vietnam on a large cc bike.

    Can this be done only with bikes registered in Vietnam, or can it be done with bikes registered in other countries?

    Also, can you list the requirements for this drivers license?



    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."
  4. We live out here - and we ride in this area.

    All I know is that - yes - you can get a Vietnamese license for a larger bore than 125 (150) and that will allow you to ride a bigger bike. I myself haven't bothered, but we have a few blokes that have - and as there are precious few if any large bore bikes in Vietnam - they've been able to bring their own irons in. But it means: You go first to either Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi by air or car (boat) - and take it from there.

    I'm not sure if it's worth it for a tiny strip of land when you have Cambodia, Thailand and Laos that will give you enough riding space to last you a lifetime. Not to mention Malaysia - which is absolutely ACE.

    Probably the same reason why I personally avoid riding into Burma - although the country is absolutely fantastic - but not for Bikers.

  5. Cookie

    Digby did a detailed post about large bikes in Vietnam on this thread. ... hichpage=2

    His information does not agree with yours. You may want to compare notes to see what is current.

    My bikes are Thai registered, and someday I would love to get them into Vietnam. I was working near Hanoi for 6 weeks in 2002, and did some riding on a rented scooter.


    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."
  6. Seems we're saying roughly the same. To do anything with a larger CC bike into Vietnam - as I said you need to go there and make your own deals as well as getting a corresponding license. The aforementioned Stinkyporeans allegedly wanting to take their SUV's to Vietnam (I think not - Singapore cars too costly - drivers too timid - Fully Comp for Vietnam from here costs the Earth) are the same Chinamen that gets their bikes in - having first gone to HCMC or Hanoi getting their papers and permits done. Out here, anything and everything is equally possible as well as impossible - it all boils down to: ethnicity, cash and connections. There are issues and permits out here completely closed to the 'Ang Moh' whereas some locals can just walk through with a few notes and a "how de-doody" - incidentally; this very much includes Burma.

  7. Dear all,

    Thank you for this comprehensive information.
    Just a few more details are a bite unclear for me:

    1) the carnet is it provide by the vendor or the insurance company or we need to get it from a governmental department of the country where we buy the bike?
    2) How to we get insurance for Vietnam?

    P.S. We build a small trailer for the back packs.

    Thanks, hope to see you out there,

    Diane and Guenter
  8. A Carnet de Passage has nothing to do with insurance. A carnet is a guarantee to the country you enter that if the bike is not taken back out of the country, the carnet agency will pay all import taxes.

    Carnets are issued by certain agencies. For example, if you live in North America, they are issued by the Canadian Automobile Association.

    You do not need one for Southeast Asia, but you do need one for India. ... ntries.htm

    However, you cannot get a carnet until you own a bike.

    You should check here for more information.


    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Share This Page