Cambodia Run - 14 Days Round The Tonle . What Could Possibly Go Wrong

Clemo

Mar 22, 2017
Devon England
Morning all , Hope all is well with you wherever you are in the world .
14 day run of Cambodia coming soon .

Thank you for taking the time to look at this thrown together rabble .

Here the Run :-
1 fly BKK > PHN
2 train PHN > SIHANOUKVILLE
3 Now all rides SIHANOUKVILLE > TAKEO ( Daunkeo guest house ) 185km / 115m ROUTE 3
4 TAKEO > PHNOM PENH (Zing GH) visit killing fields / S21. 75kms / 47m . ROUTE 2
5 PHNOM PENH > KAMPONG THOM 165km / 103m ROUTE 6A / 6
6 KAMPONG THOM > SIEM REAP (Garden village GH) 150k / 93m ROUTE 6
7 VISIT
8 VISIT
9 SIEM REAP > BATTAMBANG (Emerald BB / Battambang hotel) 173km / 107m ROUTE 6A/5
10 BATTAMBANG > (KIRI UDTOM) / VEAL VENG ( ???? Find the only guest house ???) 111km / 81m UNKNOWN ROAD
11 KIRI UDTOM > TRAPEANG RUNG ( ???? Again Find the only guest house ???) 168km / 104m UNKNOWN ROAD
12 TRAPEANG RUNG > SIHANOUKVILLE 176km / 109m ROUTE 48 / 4
13 SIHANOUKVILLE / GOODBYE TRUSTY RUSTY BIKES > PHNOM PENH (zing GH)
14 / SONGKRAN . GET WET
15 fly PNH >BKK > LHR

The route ,
So far .Thrown together with a naff Adventure travel map made by National Geographic ( made for those with no sense of adventure) a Marco Polo Cambodia / Thai / Vietnam , Showing only one red road . Unfortunately i cant find a GTR map like my excellent Laos version to help plan out the roads. As a fan of paper maps i will eventually have to succumb to the modern world of Google and OS .

Overview ,
10 of us went to ride Laos last year . Was fun . ( Did report last year though my login earlier was not recognised so have had to make myself a new user ) 1 of us did not come home . He eventually ended up in Cambodia . 9 of us are now going out to visit him ...

Bikes ,
We have a varying degree of budget sub 300$ 125cc / 110cc standard bikes & Step through rev and go shopping bikes . All dreadful . We have the option of a sidecar .

Degree of Adventure ,
Whist in Laos we tackled all colour of routes . Purple unconfirmed status in places , Long Chien and got turned back , Nam Cadding motorcycle dry season , low level stream crossings all on "Honda" insert copy make Wins & Dreams . We like a challenge .

??????????? ,
The journey is the adventure and slow bikes bikes fill the days BUT If you have any pointers , routes that must be taken , do's and do nots then we are all ears thank you in advance .

In return ,
I will take pictures , upload and write upon my return .

Thank you all .
Cheers to a virtual Angkor beer

clemo

Last edited:

Clemo

Mar 22, 2017
Devon England
EDIT ...

errr . Sorry Admins ... Should this have been in the other section ?
Please move and but a red mark by my name if so ...

cheers

Mar 30, 2010
Have a great ride...

Some friends just came back from Cambo..
They had a blast.

If you don't have a GPS on the bike.. You might want to look at putting OSM on one or two of the Android phones in your group. May be more.... There is a free version that allows 10 free updates.. A paid for version that is cheap and supports the servers / hosting etc.. with unlimited updates.

It works as a fully fledged GPS on your phone.
Where Google wont be up to date.. Plus other riders like ourselves will be updating it..
Also.. You don't need to worry about mobile signal in the middle of no where.

Maps & GPS Navigation — OsmAnd - Android Apps on Google Play

Clemo

Mar 22, 2017
Devon England
12 hours to go ...
can anyone suggest some river crossing or boat crossings that we can pile the bikes onto ?
The route has been amended to take in the bamboo bridge at campong cham.

good times ahead.

Mar 16, 2013
Pattaya, Thailand
Soooo.... I have a plan for a trip that starts in Pattaya, Thailand and then uses Cambodia as a part of the adventure. I am going to need some feedback from guys who have done this before and anything will be welcome if you can identify with any part of my proposed adventure. I have put a similar question to another string on this site, so please excuse any duplication if you have read it there....

I'm planning a trip through Cambodia, from the Trat side of Thailand. And then thinking of a coastal ride from Sihanoukville into Vietnam. ( I think there is a border at Tx Ha Tien )Then all along the coast via Nha Trang, Da Nang and into Laos, through Laos and enter back into Thailand at Mukdahan. Back to Pattaya via Ubon and Khao Yai.
So... anyone have experience of the same? Do I need to re-enter Thailand at the same place I left it? Would there be problems with leaving Cambodia from a different place to where I entered it? Any special paperwork I may need for a BMW 310GS?
Any advice is much appreciated.