Chiang Mai - Chea Sorn - Ban Mae Kapong - Ban Huay Keaw

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
It was a good decision not to take my bike into Laos. We met up at Joe’s at 11 am and started off slowly after. Today’s trip leads us to thru the beauty of Ban Mae Kapong and Chae Sorn National Park. It was a beautiful day with little rain but heavy and a very nice riding temperature.
IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Joe on his sidecar with cabin istalled, Momo on the Africa Twin, Urs on the XR 250, Melch on the Cagiva Elephant and Heinz on the Yamaha Fazer. We had a good team together. Chasing each other, but also stopping on the roadside to take some pics.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

About 3 o’ clock in the afternoon my Africa Twin stopped running out of a sudden. All panels off and checking everywhere. One 20 amp fuse was melted; I’ve never seen anything like this before. After replacing the fuse the AT wouldn’t start by it’s own so I push started it. Luckily it started but only for a few kilometers until it broke down again.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

This time no broken fuse or melted plastic – nothing. The AT’s battery seemed to be down to zero. I suppose it is the rectifier as so many time before. Then we tried pulling the bike uphill, but even Joe’s 1500 cc Vulcan wouldn’t make it. The mountain was too steep. So we were pushing the bike with 4 people uphill. I was totally exhausted not to mention the others After 500 m we reached a flat passage and decided to put the AT on top of Joe’s sidecar. But first we had to disassemble the cabin that was mounted on it.
IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Joe blasted off like there was no tomorrow and somehow he managed to get up there. When he reached the peak, I let the AT roll down the hill until the next village. We stopped at flight of the gibbons. After talking to some very nice guys there. I decided to leave the AT for one night there until I can pick it up tomorrow.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Bird, one of the guides there gave me the allowance to park the bike there. Thank you, mate.

IMG_0758.jpg

After that I had a fairly nice ride Joe on his sidecar, I took some cool video footage.

All in all I must say it was an exciting trip once again. And I’m really happy I didn’t take my AT into Laos this time.