Chiang Mai Speedway

Nov 9, 2006
Next bike racing meets are 25 Feb and 25 March. Qualifying from 9:00 and racing from 2:00ish.
Great fun. For those not familiar, Speedway is 3-4km down Hang Dong Road on the right.
Jim

Nov 9, 2006
Yes, Karting is indeed on 25 Feb, contrary to info I received when i went to speedway last week.

Called in again today and obtained correct info:

Bike racing. Sundays. Qualifying from 9:00; racing from 11:00, on following 2007 dates:

11 March
8 April
13 May
10 June
8 July
12 August
9 September
14 October
11 November
9 December

Racing is in following classes:

1. Family 110cc
2. Family 125cc
3. Automatic 125cc
4. Underbone 4 125cc
5. X-Formula 400cc up
6. Family Motard
7. Supermotard Open
8. Open Class
9. Auto Mini 50cc

Entry to racers 400 Baht. Winner takes 60%. Trophies for first three.

Speedway telephone 053 430059. Mobile 089 4334904.

Hope this clarifies. Apologies for any confusion.

Jim

Nov 11, 2006
Jim,
Where do the CBR150's of Johnadda fit into these categories?
He needs a prod to get out there!

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
JohhnyE,

Quick as he is, Jonno on his CBR would prob have to race in the open class where he would get whooped by the guy on the red Fireblade! (would beat me though! [;)]).

My money for a GT-Rider rep, would be on Suzukiluke in the Open Motard, especially after trying to keep up with him both on and offroad......

Cheers,

Pikey

Nov 9, 2006
JohhnyE,

Jonnadda's CBR150 obviously fits in the "Open" class, as in open yer flaps and piss on me bike! [;)]

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
AUGUST EVENTS
05 August Cycle Cross (M-X?)
12 August Motor Bikes
26 August Go-karts

9 September Motor Bikes

14 October Motor Bikes

11 November Motor Bikes

9 December Motor Bikes

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Yeah sorry about that Gus, I guess I need to check with them & see what the changed calendar is.
Unfortunately I think they change dates at short notice & then don't bother to publicize it.
Were you able to ascertain if the 9th December meeting is still on or not?

Gus HD

Jan 26, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

Yeah sorry about that Gus, I guess I need to check with them & see what the changed calendar is.
Unfortunately I think they change dates at short notice & then don't bother to publicize it.
Were you able to ascertain if the 9th December meeting is still on or not?

No mate didn't go in as it was dead quiet. Had the camera all fired up too.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Sorry, reviving an old thread. But just a note to say that the Chiang Mai Speedway will be closing (if not already, info is a week old) as the lease is NOT being renewed (by the owner if my info is correct.)

No more bike or kart track in Chiang Mai.
Who's going to step up to the plate & build a new one for the local bike fans?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I would Love to Build a New Go-Kart Track but the thought of Being in Major Debt for the Rest of My life is a bit disconcerting, I have enough already??? It's the Land Prices being so Expensive that is the Major Problem. You need a Large area to make a Full Size Track! Interestingly I was Talking to a Taxi Driver who Claimed They want to Build a International Track to Host Formula 1 in Thailand and are Currently looking for a Suitable location? These Guys quite often get the Story wrong so to be Taken with a Grain of Salt! Lets hope someone takes the Leap and Builds one! In the Mean time I will keep looking for some Cheap Land?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Unfortunately, I can't say that the track has been getting much support lately. In the past, we were informed of the bike races (by the organizers) and we had a fair number of riders attend. Also, renting the track to test our skills, or lack their of, on both our motorcycles and Karts was a fun activity for some time. I haven't seen anyone out there for at least the past year or more. It's a shame. It was really quite fun. :(

I thought the track was owned and operated by Michelle (?) and her husband living in Hong Kong. I didn't think it was a lease option. Is this info confirmed? It certainly could not have been supporting itself in any sense from what I have seen lately. I seldom see anyone on the track. Could be a chance to get a good deal on some used Karts to terrorize the neighborhood or something. :crazy:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
SilverhawkUSA;267063 wrote: Unfortunately, I can't say that the track has been getting much support lately. In the past, we were informed of the bike races (by the organizers) and we had a fair number of riders attend. Also, renting the track to test our skills, or lack their of, on both our motorcycles and Karts was a fun activity for some time. I haven't seen anyone out there for at least the past year or more. It's a shame. It was really quite fun. :(

I thought the track was owned and operated by Michelle (?) and her husband living in Hong Kong. I didn't think it was a lease option. Is this info confirmed? It certainly could not have been supporting itself in any sense from what I have seen lately. I seldom see anyone on the track. Could be a chance to get a good deal on some used Karts to terrorize the neighborhood or something. :crazy:

Silverhawk
My info came from Thais that have been using the track for years & running events there; & the word is Michelle & Co only leased it, not owned it. This too was a surprise to me.
Of note also is a court case going on re an accident there several months ago with an attempt to sue for damages. There are other ongoing financial problems & apparently the owner does not wish to renew the lease.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Davidfl;267071 wrote: Silverhawk
My info came from Thais that have been using the track for years & running events there; & the word is Michelle & Co only leased it, not owned it. This too was a surprise to me.
Of note also is a court case going on re an accident there several months ago with an attempt to sue for damages. There are other ongoing financial problems & apparently the owner does not wish to renew the lease.

I can't say that I am really surprised by any of the above. Typical. :-?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Land was only Leased and they have known for some time it was about to end! Last Year one of their Staff came here asking for a Job! I don't think whoever it was Running it cared too much as there was never much effort put in to Marketing, Appearance or Management? looked pretty Neglected? I heard Rumors about Accidents but Only know of One for sure which a lot of Us know about. It was an OK Track but the Location was Bad in My View? All Action Activities seem to located north of the City!