Chiang Mai to Chaing Rai

Aug 29, 2014
Hi,

I will be in Chiang Mai on November 16th. I wonder if there is any rider will be going to Chiang Rai? I'm planning to spend a night there to visit the white temple. Also, I have waze and Sygic GPS, If I navigate using it, will that be good enough for riding to Chiang Rai?

Chris

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for that. Slight regig to my plans for Nov required. The last info I got was from the Bangkok Post that had it closed indefinitely because of the damage and unlikely to be reopened. And that is still the latest news when you google it.

National artist Chalermchai Kositpipat said today (May 6) that the temple may be left in ruins as a reminder of its past glory.

The temple, in Chiang Rai City, was hit by the 6.3-Richter quake and two major aftershocks.

Ajarn Chalermchai said that after the quake, he at first thought the temple could be repaired but the two aftershocks smashed it to the point where it was now beyond his capability to restore it.

He said painted murals which had taken him 20 years to create on walls and ceilings had been utterly smashed by the collapse of the buildings.

“It was a masterpiece of art and it cannot be recreated,” he said. “I spent almost 20 years doing it. I am now too old to spend another 20 years on it.

“Everything is finished and I may leave the temple as it is now for the later generations to remember.” Thai PBS