Chiangmai to Mae Sai

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by jt65, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jt65

jt65 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just checking if anyone has recently completed the trip from Chiangmai to Mae Sai on an unregistered bike. I have had trouble here in Chiangmai twice now with police and have a visa run to do this weekend.

Does anyone know if they are pulling unregistered bikes over at the police checkpoints outside of chiangmai.

Cheers
    Troy

2. LChadwick

LChadwick Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Troy,
    While my bike is registered I have never even been stopped on the road from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai and I have made the run at least 30 times. Two years ago I did it on an unregistered rental and had no hassles or even questions, even when it broke down in front of a police checkpoint and I stopped to fix it.

I have made the run from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai 2 times with an unregistered person (no Thai identity card, no passport, no papers of any kind - it's a long story) on the back of the bike and wasn't hassled. That doesn't mean it won't happen. It is unlikely though.

3. BobS

BobS Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Troy

Came down from Mae Sai last week. Two bikes were registered, one not registered. Not stopped anyplace.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"