Chiangmai to Mae Sai

jt65

Oct 29, 2003
Just checking if anyone has recently completed the trip from Chiangmai to Mae Sai on an unregistered bike. I have had trouble here in Chiangmai twice now with police and have a visa run to do this weekend.

Does anyone know if they are pulling unregistered bikes over at the police checkpoints outside of chiangmai.

Cheers
Troy

May 17, 2003
Troy,
While my bike is registered I have never even been stopped on the road from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai and I have made the run at least 30 times. Two years ago I did it on an unregistered rental and had no hassles or even questions, even when it broke down in front of a police checkpoint and I stopped to fix it.

I have made the run from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai 2 times with an unregistered person (no Thai identity card, no passport, no papers of any kind - it's a long story) on the back of the bike and wasn't hassled. That doesn't mean it won't happen. It is unlikely though.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Troy

Came down from Mae Sai last week. Two bikes were registered, one not registered. Not stopped anyplace.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"